+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Morrissey cancels tour over racism issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Morrissey cancels tour over racism issues

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Back in 2007, Morrissey said the following:

"I believe the NME has deliberately tried to characterise me as a racist in a recent interview I gave them in order to boost their dwindling circulation. I abhor racism and oppression or cruelty of any kind and will not let this pass without being absolutely clear and emphatic. Racism is beyond common sense and has no place in our society."

Excellent stuff. However, now he is publicly backing Tommy Johnson and Anne-Marie Waters, who are very definitely racists.

He says: "I have been following a new party called For Britain which is led by Anne-Marie Waters. It is the first time in my life that I will vote for a political party. Finally I have hope. Anne-Marie Waters seeks open discussion about all aspects of modern Britain, whereas other parties will not allow diverse opinion. She is like a humane version of Thatcher, if such a concept could be. She is absolute leadership, she doesn’t read from a script, she believes in British heritage, freedom of speech, and she wants everyone in the UK to live under the same law."

He's clearly lost the plot. The Anne-Marie Waters thing is hilarious. After all, she's an Irish immigrant.

He's not supporting Tommy Robinson's views, he's opposing the way in which jailing Tommy Robinson goes against free speech.

I just find it hard to believe that someone who all his life has strongly opposed cruelty against animals - to the extent one of his albums was called Meat is Murder, and he bans meat being sold at venues he performs in - could possibly be racist and cruel against human beings.

The For Britain support, however, I admit is strange and out of character. I don't think he's in a good place right now and age is clearly not working well for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    I just find it hard to believe that someone who all his life has strongly opposed cruelty against animals - to the extent one of his albums was called Meat is Murder, and he bans meat being sold at venues he performs in - could possibly be racist and cruel against human beings.
    Hitler loved animals too.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Hitler loved animals too.....
    Fair point!

However, I've read a lot about what others who've worked and grew up with him have to say about him, and racist is definitely not one of the words they'd describe. Mainly just difficult to deal with or sheltered.

He's not supporting Tommy Robinson's views, he's opposing the way in which jailing Tommy Robinson goes against free speech.

The For Britain support, however, I admit is strange and out of character. I don't think he's in a good place right now and age is clearly not working well for him.
    He strongly backs Waters who really is a piece of work. She was too far to the right for even UKIP. I liked The Smiths but in this day and age with all the anti Muslim stuff going around I can’t say it bothers me if I don’t hear anything from Morrisey again.

His actions could have caused a court case to collapse. He pleaded guilty to the charges against him. How on earth does jailing him go against free speech when the charge was contempt of court after he knowledgeably broke the law?

(As an aside, how come he's never stood outside the courts of white rapists?)

Jailing Tommy Smith is not an attack on free speech. It's a way of stopping the cretin ruining a trial and seeing the alleged perpetrators walk away scot free because he's jeopardised the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    Jailing Tommy Smith is not an attack on free speech. It's a way of stopping the cretin ruining a trial and seeing the alleged perpetrators walk away scot free because he's jeopardised the procedure.
    Tommy Smith is too beautiful to go to jail, they'll ruin him.