+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ryan Giggs - Some Stats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Ryan Giggs - Some Stats

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Giggs looked after himself, and played more games for Wales than Beckham played for England, or Shearer.

He could have played more meaningless friendlies or dead rubbers, but it really wouldn't have benefitted Wales at all. You could argue that it allowed other players some game time where otherwise they wouldn't have got any.
    Eh? Beckham had nearly double the number of caps.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Eh? Beckham had nearly double the number of caps.
    My mistake, I misread the first post.
    In fairness though Beckham played in several tournaments which probably added 4 or 5 games every 2 years or so.

I compare Giggs international record with Jari Litmanen

Both were high profile players from small countries Wales and Finland and both played for leading European clubs (Litmanen Ajax, Barcelona and Liverpool) at the same time

Litmanen is 2 years older and made his international debut in 89 Giggs in 91

Both were vitally important to their national teams and would have had the same number of internationals to face in their careers

Litmanen made 137 appearances scoring 37 goals before retiring in 2010
    Giggs made 64 appearances scoring 12 goals before retiring in 2007 3 years earlier than Litmanen despite being 2 years younger

Comparing the two - One is a national footballing icon for his country the other is Ryan Giggs

Quote Originally Posted by binman View Post
    I compare Giggs international record with Jari Litmanen

Both were high profile players from small countries Wales and Finland and both played for leading European clubs (Litmanen Ajax, Barcelona and Liverpool) at the same time

Litmanen is 2 years older and made his international debut in 89 Giggs in 91

Both were vitally important to their national teams and would have had the same number of internationals to face in their careers

Litmanen made 137 appearances scoring 37 goals before retiring in 2010
    Giggs made 64 appearances scoring 12 goals before retiring in 2007 3 years earlier than Litmanen despite being 2 years younger

Comparing the two - One is a national footballing icon for his country the other is Ryan Giggs
    And no-one will give a sh!t about all of that if he takes us to the next European Championships