+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 99%of Man City play is totally pointless.

Re: 99%of Man City play is totally pointless.

I can blast someone for having a ridiculous opinion. I’d laugh at someone for preferring girls aloud to led zeppelin too.

They play scintillating football and have one of the best managers in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Some prefer the old style British centre forward style.

That's Cardiff City's current 'style' is it? The old British centre forward style?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I can blast someone for having a ridiculous opinion. I’d laugh at someone for preferring girls aloud to led zeppelin too.

They play scintillating football and have one of the best managers in the world.
    In your opinion it's ridiculous. That doesn't make it ridiculous.

The play is scintillating because they have the best squad in the league by quite a distance - money no object. The best manager in the world yet again manages a team with the best squad in the league by quite a distance.

It's neither organic nor repeatable unless you throw money at it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

That's Cardiff City's current 'style' is it? The old British centre forward style?
    Can you point out where I said that?

In your opinion it's ridiculous. That doesn't make it ridiculous.

The play is scintillating because they have the best squad in the league by quite a distance - money no object. The best manager in the world yet again manages a team with the best squad in the league by quite a distance.

It's neither organic nor repeatable unless you throw money at it.
    Yeah exactly so they aren’t pointless or boring to watch them?

Don't like Chelsea at all, but wouldn't you just luuurrrv them to equalise?

Brentford play pretty football and haven't spent millions....

Yeah exactly so they aren’t pointless or boring to watch them?
    Again, I find it scintillating at times, boring at others. That's my view not the view of the op.

A lot of the keeping of the ball, especially at the back is more aimed at frustrating opposition, somewhat of a negative tactic in itself. Runs a big risk against high pressing teams.

Can you point out where I said that?
    Maybe I misunderstood. When you asked "why shouldn't someone prefer our style of play to Pep's?" and followed that up with "some prefer the old style British centre forward style, that's their prerogative," I naturally assumed you were talking about the same subject, ie: Cardiff City's current 'style' of play (if there is such a thing).

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Brentford play pretty football and haven't spent millions....
    At lower level without the results Man City have achieved.

To be as dominant in the Prem, the highest division in the UK would indicate big money was needed to be spent.

If you think they’re negative you couldn’t have watched much of them.

There’s very little possession for possessions sake like other teams. Look at their matches against arsenal they played them off the park.

Fair enough if you don’t like their owners or the money aspect, I don’t either. But they are one of the best teams we’ve seen in the UK and with probably one of the best managers of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood. When you asked "why shouldn't someone prefer our style of play to Pep's?" and followed that up with "some prefer the old style British centre forward style, that's their prerogative," I naturally assumed you were talking about the same subject, ie: Cardiff City's current 'style' of play (if there is such a thing).
    The question was a very simple one to understand, Dave. Different people prefer different styles of play when it comes to football. Some may love Guardiola's style, some might find it leaves them cold. It's perfectly fine to have a different opinion; people complaining about some's right to hve a different opinion makes them look like faux intelligentsia When Saturday Comes readers...

The reference to "old style British centre forward style" was entirely along the same lines, using one particular example of a style of play. You may want to conflate thatto mean something else but that's your issue not mine.

At lower level without the results Man City have achieved.

To be as dominant in the Prem, the highest division in the UK would indicate big money was needed to be spent.
    But anyone can play nice football, right?

The question was a very simple one to understand, Dave.
    Fair enough, Phil. I bow to your greater knowledge of faux intelligentsia, styles of football and gibberish.

If you think they’re negative you couldn’t have watched much of them.

There’s very little possession for possessions sake like other teams. Look at their matches against arsenal they played them off the park.

Fair enough if you don’t like their owners or the money aspect, I don’t either. But they are one of the best teams we’ve seen in the UK and with probably one of the best managers of all time.
    When they get the ball up and around the oppositoon penalty area, I agree with you - it's been fantastic. There are times when there are endless passes often for passing sake which is a negative side of it. Two sides of the same coin if you like.

I don't believe you can separate the on the pitch from the off the pitch in this case. There's no chance Man City would have risen the way they have to dominate the way they have without throwing money around - and I don't believe Pep would have taken the Man City role on without knowing a "money no object" approach would be taken.

But anyone can play nice football, right?
    Not as nice as Wolvesalona, then again.

Brentford play nice football, sure. They don't look like breaking into the higher level of the division anytime soon.

Man Utd have spent less, Pogba the exception and yes they are incredibly boring to watch. That's Mourinho's style.

Of course our style is more honest. How much did Man City's stadium naming rights go for? Man City aren't being kept in business by foreign owners, it's being treated as a money no object plaything by those owners.

Now as for opinions you're absolutely right. Which is why it's dumb to blast the op for having the opinion that he does. Personally I loved the British style in the 70s, hard tackling with skillful wingers beating their man, hitting the byline and puttting killer croses in for that rugged centre forward to head in. Physical and skillful.

With Man City, they can play that way precisely because the squad skill level is far and above the level of other Prem teams. That's artifical, not organic. If Pep tried to play that way with say Crysta Palce squad, it would fail.
    Man United have spent £600 million since Fergie retired but don't worry they've only spent on Pogba.
    Sanchez of course agreed to sign for free as long as Jose gets him a few pints and a couple of raffle tickets after the game

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Man United have spent £600 million since Fergie retired but don't worry they've only spent on Pogba.
    Sanchez of courde
    Since Fergie retired... which was how many years ago?

I can't recall then spending £50m on a right back then whining they have a budget to work to!

Not as nice as Wolvesalona, then again.

Brentford play nice football, sure. They don't look like breaking into the higher level of the division anytime soon.
    I must have read your post wrong.

Thought you said Man City had to spend millions to play like they do under Pep.

Money doesn't just make you good all of a sudden. It definitely helps, but not for everyone... look at Everton for instance.
    They're worse now than before they spent all those millions.

You talk sense a lot of the time about football, so for you not to acknowledge that Pep is having a hand in their upturn is a bit baffling.

Since Fergie retired... which was how many years ago?

I can't recall then spending £50m on a right back then whining they have a budget to work to!
    United blew them out of the water in pure desperation to get Sanchez.

Tiring the opposition isn't pointless, but Christ the Man City-Chelsea game was boring

I must have read your post wrong.

Thought you said Man City had to spend millions to play like they do under Pep.

Money doesn't just make you good all of a sudden. It definitely helps, but not for everyone... look at Everton for instance.
    They're worse now than before they spent all those millions.

You talk sense a lot of the time about football, so for you not to acknowledge that Pep is having a hand in their upturn is a bit baffling.
    In this instance money has definitely helped. It's allowed Pep to cherry pick a squad by is pretty clearly far and above the rest of the Prem league. Of course Pep is having a hand; if you gave Trollope the same money Man City wuld probably be relegated.

For me, it's the case that Pep needed to spend big to get the squad to play the way he wanted to. It's not money or Pep, it's the fact both were needed.

You put Pep as manager of say Crystal Palace and tried to play the same way without spending big,it would be pear shaped fairly quicky.

Pep clearly has a particular style of play he wants to use, it's not changed much in any of his management roles. To be effective as it has been, it needs the best players they can get in and that means a large amount of money has been spent.

United blew them out of the water in pure desperation to get Sanchez.
    Man City have mssively increased the arms race though - £50m for Walker just raised the stakes massively. I think we'll see transfer fees artificially being raised as teams try to catch Man City up. I don't think it's good for British football as a whole as the knock on effects will be damaging.

Man City have mssively increased the arms race though - £50m for Walker just raised the stakes massively. I think we'll see transfer fees artificially being raised as teams try to catch Man City up. I don't think it's good for British football as a whole as the knock on effects will be damaging.
    Brit Assombalonga going for 14 million tells you it's ruining football!!

In this instance money has definitely helped. It's allowed Pep to cherry pick a squad by is pretty clearly far and above the rest of the Prem league. Of course Pep is having a hand; if you gave Trollope the same money Man City wuld probably be relegated.

For me, it's the case that Pep needed to spend big to get the squad to play the way he wanted to. It's not money or Pep, it's the fact both were needed.

You put Pep as manager of say Crystal Palace and tried to play the same way without spending big,it would be pear shaped fairly quicky.

Pep clearly has a particular style of play he wants to use, it's not changed much in any of his management roles. To be effective as it has been, it needs the best players they can get in and that means a large amount of money has been spent.
    Not so sure they would be.

He would need "budget" players but I honestly believe if he got players in to match the work rates and style of play the balance of the team could be the same, minus the ridiculous talent. You don't find a budget KDB for example.. but you can replicate the style. They probably wouldn't be knocking on Europe's door but I don't think they would go down.