+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "That" save

Re: "That" save

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Schizophrenia
    Both of him was in goal in the 7-1 win at Boundary Park, fat lot of good that did Gorams 😂😂😂

The trouble with these type of talked about goals and saves they were in very high profile games , and watched by millions, therefore they do become over hyped .

When you watch it back , yes the Banks save was something special , Pele could not have applied any better technical ability than he did , it was both the save, and the goal attempt that made it so special,and the occasion .

Some of the saves now are just astonishing and almost expected, if you consider how the modern ball moves in the air , its lightness compared to those lumpy footballs of Pele and Banks era, and the astonishing techniques modern players apply to striking a ball , never mind the mind boggling athleticism of keepers , I'd say we are seeing those types of wonder saves weekly in the modern game .

While Etheridge has been outstanding on times this season, what about some of the saves Marshall pulled off in our other Premier League season, the home game against Tottenham springs to mind. He denied them single handedly until the last minute, some unbelievable saves.

Schizophrenia
    Never knew that👍 Still a top notch keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Both of him was in goal in the 7-1 win at Boundary Park, fat lot of good that did Gorams ������
    Wasnt that the game Andy Campbell had a pie in the face

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Never knew that👍 Still a top notch keeper.
    You can say that again 👐

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Wasnt that the game Andy Campbell had a pie in the face
    There wasn’t much else Oldham had on target😂😂😂

A particular attribute of Mr Banks is that he seemed to have the amazing skill of diving for a ball and actually holding and collecting it as opposed to palming or punching it away. Even to this day, few goalkeepers seem to have this skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    A particular attribute of Mr Banks is that he seemed to have the amazing skill of diving for a ball and actually holding and collecting it as opposed to palming or punching it away. Even to this day, few goalkeepers seem to have this skill.
    I've only seen clips of him but it seemed to me his positional play was so good that he didn't have to dive much but just catch the ball

I've only seen clips of him but it seemed to me his positional play was so good that he didn't have to dive much but just catch the ball
    I have to be honest in that memory is a very nebulous thing and nostalgia is a very strong force. Maybe it's difficult to be objective....

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    It was an absolutely fantastic save, though it was made (slightly) easier by Pele's header bouncing where it did - if he'd headed it a little closer to the goal I don't think Banks would have saved it.

David Marshall's Villa save was an amazing reaction save.

Schmeichel was an exceptional keeper, nowt better than him in the 90s. Even more remarkable because of his size - and I don't mean his height.
    download.jpg

I have to be honest in that memory is a very nebulous thing and nostalgia is a very strong force. Maybe it's difficult to be objective....
    I'm too young to have seen him play so only seen the best bits really where he just always seemed to be in the right place, personally just based on highlights as I wasn't even born when either was playing but I would prefer Jennings

I'm too young to have seen him play so only seen the best bits really where he just always seemed to be in the right place, personally just based on highlights as I wasn't even born when either was playing but I would prefer Jennings
    Jennings was a superb keeper who seemed to dominate his area and had excellent handling skills. I couldn't even try to compare the two but, along with Shilton, there were a few superb keepers around.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    David Seaman’s save against Sheff Utd in the FA Cup stands out as the best save I think I’ve seen.
    Agree. He was reaching backwards and still pushed it away. Phenomenal.

Big Nev used to catch it a lot too.

I wonder if its coached out of them now. Too risky to drop it so get it as far away as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    You see amazing saves fairly regularly nowadays as every match is recorded. In 1970 there were relatively very few matches seen on tv.
    Also, seeing as it was on the world cup, THE biggest stage, being watched all over the world live (virtually unheard of back then), I think it's only fair it was considered "the" best ever at that time.
    Nostalgia also plays it's part and Pele was considered the best player ever.
    (note that this was the first time I'd ever seen a football match in colour!)

I still think it was a special save and as was mentioned in another thread, it would be special even today.

I am therefore of the opinion that it is the best save of all time
    Posh ba5tard. We managed a colour TV rented from Redifussion in about 1979 I think.

I can remember mitching off school for the afternoon to watch something like Crown Court and racing from Cartmel on the day we had our first colour telly - I was in the sixth form, so I reckon it was 1973.

Think we had our first colour telly in about 1974. We'd been to the Monico on the Saturday morning then my dad picked us up and took us to get it. First thing I remember seeing was horse racing on World of Sport. Was disappointed though the Champion the Wonder Horse and Tarzan were still in black and white.

This I agree with. I can't understand why keepers palm it away these days, when catching it would be just as easy and a lot safer.

Think we had our first colour telly in about 1974. We'd been to the Monico on the Saturday morning then my dad picked us up and took us to get it. First thing I remember seeing was horse racing on World of Sport. Was disappointed though the Champion the Wonder Horse and Tarzan were still in black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Posh ba5tard. We managed a colour TV rented from Redifussion in about 1979 I think.
    Posh?

I didn't say it was OUR colour telly. My old man took us over the docks and we watched it in the pub!

No, we had to wait until 1974 for ours, also a rented rediffusion and, coincidentally, we got it just before the Germany world cup tournament. I remember loads of 'mates' round, very popular I was

You try telling t'youngsters that today... they won't believe ya!

Surprised there's been no mention of Peter "The Cat" Bonetti. I didn't realise he made 600 appearances for Chelsea.

Schmeical (I could never spell that correctly) came from a background of playing handball didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Schmeical (I could never spell that correctly) came from a background of playing handball didn't he?
    Isn't that Gunnerson?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Isn't that Gunnerson?
    I think Peter schmeical as well