Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
I would that counter that a little, the brand new facility over in Llandough for mental health is very good and certainly meets the needs of people in the area with mental health problems.

THE issue is people who refuse treatment and instead self medicate using drugs / alcohol. It is of little wonder they become homeless - as they have refused help (for any number of reasons), their employer will eventually sack them and the mortgage company repossess etc. I had a close friend who luckily has an understanding employer - he recently decided to not take his medication - and went back on the booze - he was sectioned (again) last month and is currently back on the medication.

What people with mental health problems need is the help of the support / crash team to call on - when they have lapsed. Once they become homeless, then they almost become contactless to the authorities, which is a spiral that is hard to break free from - unless they are forced to detox - which is not possible unless they are sectioned first.

You could build them a brand new house if you want but it wont help their addiction issues
Well I have been in the brand new unit in llandough as a patient and my experience is that the mental health services in Bridgend were far better , I am in a support group and many are not impressed with the new unit

Have you been admitted ?

By crash team you mean the crisis team

Addiction and self medication is a very complex issue , but that's beside the point , people with mental health problems are amongst the poorest and most excluded in society , whichever way you want to look at it