Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
The whole point of football in this country is to aspire to be better and play at the highest level, get into Europe, win cups etc etc. If you take that away, there really is no point of carrying on supporting a team. If a team stayed in the same division, playing the same teams all the time, with no chance of going up or down, then most people would lose interest quite quickly and stop going. I go to games to see City win and hopefully play well, especially against the 'top' teams and also to meet my friends who I have known for 30-40 years. I dont go to have banter with other teams fans.
I don't understand the point you are trying to make. No-one has suggested stopping promotion or relegation have they?

I think most people go with friends and it's an occasion regardless of the result, but IMO it makes attending that much more enjoyable if you're in with a chance of winning the games you play AND if you can feel a bond with the players on the pitch. Most of the overhyped players in the Prem may as well have come from another planet as far as I'm concerned as they have so little interest in their Clubs or fans.