Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
The rules state that no political, religious or commercial messages are to be displayed on shirts.

Are poppies really political?? They are simply a gesture for remembering the dead. They are not a war or political protest. Our tradition of wearing them is older than FIFA. It becomes political when we are told to break tradition and not wear them. FIFA would not be able to enforce a points deduction or a fine because of this point. Wear them.

This is why it's called "remembrance", so that we are never allowed to forget. With the sacrificial generation dying out we need to carry this tradition on by any means. Football is quite possibly the most effective way to pass this remembrance on to another generation.
Surely so.

That said, I also agree that they don't need to be worn 24/7 throughout the period up to and just past Armistice.

Looking back, I dont believe that poppy wearing used to last anywhere near so long. It was more about the week leading up to the Armistice, and then the Armistice weekend itself, which surely makes the point more strongly?

But thats a different discussion. I dont see how Remembrance poppies should be considered 'political'.
And who does it offend?