+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Luck to County tonight...

Good Luck to County tonight...

They have the wind in their sails after Saturday's late equaliser and two years of positivity up the road.

Be odd to have them just one division below us, though

And are there any other local clubs Lennie Lawrence hasn't been involved with I see he's a 'mentor' at County these days - another good omen, though

Re: Good Luck to County tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    They have the wind in their sails after Saturday's late equaliser and two years of positivity up the road.

Be odd to have them just one division below us, though

And are there any other local clubs Lennie Lawrence hasn't been involved with I see he's a 'mentor' at County these days - another good omen, though
    I've not checked this, but I thought they were playing on Thursday.

if you are referring to there play off game pretty sure it's on Thursday ?

It is Thursday, your mixing it up with the lesser skilled game with tonight's (Scousers v Barca ) game .

But yes , good luck Ironsiders ,its been a long haul back .

To be fair, tonight's Champions League game is the biggest game to take place this week as far as the people of Newport are concerned

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    if you are referring to there play off game pretty sure it's on Thursday ?
    Silly me, you're right lads - let's hope their luck holds out until Thursday, then

Would be great to have three Welsh teams in the top leagues. Let’s hope they get up to League One and go on from there.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    To be fair, tonight's Champions League game is the biggest game to take place this week as far as the people of Newport are concerned
    ...and Cardiff/Valleys/Rest of South Wales for thst matter.....if we are talking numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    ****ing nailed it son

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    ****ing nailed it son
    Why the county love in? They can't stand us

Quote Originally Posted by ElyBlu View Post
    Why the county love in? They can't stand us
    We can still like them though can’t we ? We can still want them to do well. Some of their fans can feel what ever they want about CCFC. That’s their problem.

tbf it's a shame they haven't done better over the years. That would have been a proper derby, not the sort of manufactured ones we have had to have with Swansea and the Wurzels.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    tbf it's a shame they haven't done better over the years. That would have been a proper derby, not the sort of manufactured ones we have had to have with Swansea and the Wurzels.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Why do you regard Swansea as a manufactured derby?????

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    Why do you regard Swansea as a manufactured derby?????
    What are manufactured derbys? They're either derbys or not derbys surely. I regard Cardiff v Swansea and Cardiff v Bristol City as proper derbys. I daresay the wurzels see Bristol Rovers as their main rivals, but there's a definite edge to our games with them and always has been for as long as I've supported City.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    What are manufactured derbys? They're either derbys or not derbys surely. I regard Cardiff v Swansea and Cardiff v Bristol City as proper derbys. I daresay the wurzels see Bristol Rovers as their main rivals, but there's a definite edge to our games with them and always has been for as long as I've supported City.
    Being only 12 miles away, surely Newport should be our biggest derby game, by definition.

Paul, you are very, very wrong here, with regard to the wurzels seeing roverzzz as their main rivals. It's us!! Having lived and worked in Bristol I can say they definitely hate us with a passion!

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Being only 12 miles away, surely Newport should be our biggest derby game, by definition.
    But that doesn't mean that the Swansea and Bristol City derbys are "manufactured", is Chelsea v Arsenal any less of a derby because Brentford, Fulham and QPR are closer to Stamford Bridge than the Emirates?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Paul, you are very, very wrong here, with regard to the wurzels seeing roverzzz as their main rivals. It's us!! Having lived and worked in Bristol I can say they definitely hate us with a passion!
    Fair enough, I'm certainly not going to argue with you about it - I'd say that tends to show that there is nothing "manufactured" about the Cardiff v Bristol City derby.

Derby's invented by the media to try and garner some interest for their TV channels.
    Cardiff City v Wrexham - The Welsh Derby
    Bournemouth v Brighton - The South Coast Derby

to name but two.

But that doesn't mean that the Swansea and Bristol City derbys are "manufactured", is Chelsea v Arsenal any less of a derby because Brentford, Fulham and QPR are closer to Stamford Bridge than the Emirates?
    I’ve never described them as manufactured. It’s just that I’ve always thought the true meaning of the football term “Derby” is when you play the nearest league team to you in a competitive game.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    Derby's invented by the media to try and garner some interest for their TV channels.
    Cardiff City v Wrexham - The Welsh Derby
    Bournemouth v Brighton - The South Coast Derby

to name but two.
    Games against Wrexham felt a bit different, but did anyone really think of them as a Derby game? The number of times Sky show our matches against the wurzels and the jacks (has there been a Cardiff v Swansea match in the last decade that hasn't been shown live?) suggests they think they are the genuine article.

I’ve never described them as manufactured. It’s just that I’ve always thought the true meaning of the football term “Derby” is when you play the nearest league team to you in a competitive game.
    What about El Clasico?

Madrid to Barcelona is 620 k!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    What about El Clasico?

Madrid to Barcelona is 620 k!!
    Manufactured 😁😁

We have played Swansea over 100 times.

Haven't checked but I think we have played Newport far less.

I think it is the consistency of games that kee 8ps the derby alive.

For example I know TOBW has alway regarded Bristol as our main rival because for many years we played them regularly when Swanses were in a lower division.

I only started watching football a few years before Bob but my Dad always regarded Swansea as our main rivals.

It wasn' t so bitter in the early sixties though.

I remember going to the Vetch when Swansea and Cardiff fans sat in the same stand together. We had Swansea fans in the row immediately behind us.

There was rivalry and banter but it was all quite friendly.

Changed in the late sixties and has never been the same since unfortunately.