+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brexit thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Brexit thread

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...mpression=true

Not familiar with Llanelli, are Schaeffler a big employer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/ne...mpression=true

Not familiar with Llanelli, are Schaeffler a big employer?
    A quick look at Schaeffler’s wiki page shows that its CEO is Klaus Rosenfeld. Googling his name with “Angela Merkel” brings up an article with this photo of Klaus sitting next to Merkel at her first meeting with Trump at the White House in March 2017. Ivanka is to Merkel’s right.

5E442209-5C0C-4A6F-85BD-F502B115CC57.jpg

He is clearly a very good friend of Merkel’s. Maybe Llanelli is being punished for voting Leave? À la Grecque.

https://www.wa.de/hamm/angela-merkel...p-8005387.html

Quote Originally Posted by severncity View Post
    A quick look at Schaeffler’s wiki page shows that its CEO is Klaus Rosenfeld. Googling his name with “Angela Merkel” brings up an article with this photo of Klaus sitting next to Merkel at her first meeting with Trump at the White House in March 2017. Ivanka is to Merkel’s right.

5E442209-5C0C-4A6F-85BD-F502B115CC57.jpg

He is clearly a very good friend of Merkel’s. Maybe Llanelli is being punished for voting Leave? À la Grecque.

https://www.wa.de/hamm/angela-merkel...p-8005387.html
    I think that's pretty unlikely. A few hundred jobs in one fairly remote part of Britain. It has barely registered in Wales, let alone the rest of Britain

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think that's pretty unlikely. A few hundred jobs in one fairly remote part of Britain. It has barely registered in Wales, let alone the rest of Britain
    Did you know that the word “credulous “ has been banned from U.K. dictionaries by the EU?

And did you not see the many news items regarding the closure in the MSM? I did.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46110825

https://www.theguardian.com/business...lin-schaeffler

Conversely the proponents of playing hardball with the EU always warned we had the upper hand because of the suffering it would cause in the German automotive industry. For some this should be an early warning to Jerry not to mess with dear old Blighty!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post

Conversely the proponents of playing hardball with the EU always warned we had the upper hand because of the suffering it would cause in the German automotive industry. For some this should be an early warning to Jerry not to mess with dear old Blighty!
    You seem to see the world in a very black or white way. Of course the German car manufacturers are worried about Brexit, which wouldn’t preclude them punishing the U.K. for escaping from the nascent fourth Reich.

You seem to see the world in a very black or white way. Of course the German car manufacturers are worried about Brexit, which wouldn’t preclude them punishing the U.K. for escaping from the nascent fourth Reich.
    Speaking of seeing the world in a very black and white way.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Easy to forget that Farage gets invited to talk at rallies for neo-nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Reich means “realm” and a German-dominated EU is inevitable after the U.K. leaves. I don’t for one minute think that there will be a Nazi regime in Berlin. However I do think that the anti-democratic tendencies within the EU power structures will be hijacked by Germany. One only has to look at how the national budgets in Greece, Ireland, Portugal and Italy have had to be rubber stamped by both the EC and the Frankfurt-based ECB to see that Germany exerts a powerful control over its “realm”.

All that Germany will need in order to de facto control the EU is a compliant France run by, say, an ex-Goldman Sachs banker. Hey Presto the Fourth Reich.

And anyway I was applying the term “black and white” thinking to past or current events. I’m not sure that it is really applicable to divining the future given the nature of this particular universe.

Reich means “realm” and a German-dominated EU is inevitable after the U.K. leaves. I don’t for one minute think that there will be a Nazi regime in Berlin. However I do think that the anti-democratic tendencies within the EU power structures will be hijacked by Germany. One only has to look at how the national budgets in Greece, Ireland, Portugal and Italy have had to be rubber stamped by both the EC and the Frankfurt-based ECB to see that Germany exerts a powerful control over its “realm”.

All that Germany will need in order to de facto control the EU is a compliant France run by, say, an ex-Goldman Sachs banker. Hey Presto the Fourth Reich.

And anyway I was applying the term “black and white” thinking to past or current events. I’m not sure that it is really applicable to divining the future given the nature of this particular universe.
    Let's just say your version of events does not include many, if any, "grey areas" (granted, you're far from alone in being like that - there are plenty on both sides who feel the same way), so I'd say you're seeing things in the same black and white terms you accused Cyril of displaying.

Also, no matter the context in which it's used, I think plenty of Germans would, rightly, be upset to see the term "fourth Reich" applied to them currently - the connotations are obvious even if you say that was not your intention.