+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitts

Whitts

Has hung up his boots. Arguably one of our best players in modern times.

Enjoy your retirement, Whitts.

Re: Whitts

Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
    Agreed.
    Hear hear!

Here's to you, Peter Whittingham...

Where was he last season, apparently left Blackburn at end of August 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    Where was he last season, apparently left Blackburn at end of August 2018?
    Free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post

If he decides to become a coach, I hope that it is with us. I would like to see us take on more of our ex-players, if they have the skills that we require.

Free agent.
    So he didn't play for anyone?

That season he got more than 20 goals from midfield- what a player!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    That season he got more than 20 goals from midfield- what a player!
    From the left side of midfield wasn’t it?
    Considering he wasn’t a winger it’s even more impressive. He really had a knack of being in the right place at the right time that season, coupled with some super strikes then it went down as one of the best seasons I’ve ever seen from a City player.
    His assists and passing range was a joy as well.
    https://youtu.be/-glIlB_dx90 1.00 in, ridiculous assist.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Considering he wasn’t a winger it’s even more impressive. He really had a knack of being in the right place at the right time that season, coupled with some super strikes then it went down as one of the best seasons I’ve ever seen from a City player.
    In 2009-10 he got 25 goals in total - 20 in the Championship (plus 2 in play-off games) of which 8 were penalties.

One of my favourite ever players. Unbelievable he spent the majority of his career at City. Think he was sometimes wasted in teams where he didn't have enough talent round him. That season where he got 25 goals is a definite City highlight for me.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    So he didn't play for anyone?
    It's probably not that much of a surprise. His time at Blackburn at a lower level was sadly a bit of a disaster and he didn't get a look in when Rovers got promoted. I couldn't imagine Whitts playing in League 2 or lower, so about time he took his well earned retirement. Legend for us who deserves all the plaudits he gets, but in the end his game wasn't what it was in his earlier days. 34 is quite young to be retiring, though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    I know this is a Whitts thread but that was a master class by Steve McPhail. What a team. Oh for Chops & Jay upfront for next season

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I know this is a Whitts thread but that was a master class by Steve McPhail. What a team. Oh for Chops & Jay upfront for next season
    Almost every City player who played with him, named McPhail as the best player they've played with, and certainly in that team.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's probably not that much of a surprise. His time at Blackburn at a lower level was sadly a bit of a disaster and he didn't get a look in when Rovers got promoted. I couldn't imagine Whitts playing in League 2 or lower, so about time he took his well earned retirement. Legend for us who deserves all the plaudits he gets, but in the end his game wasn't what it was in his earlier days. 34 is quite young to be retiring, though.
    That last sentence sums Whitt's career up for me.
    Exceptionally gifted player with skill, touch, could pick a pass from anywhere to anywhere, and an eye for goal.

What he lacked though was the engine that great players possess.
    You rarely saw him burst past players going on a mazy run and get back to defend.
    He gave me the impression that he was holding a bit back to last the game, especially in his latter years with us.
    When your legs are gone they're gone.

Happy retirement Peter, thank you for some great memories of a special time watching City

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Great team to watch when on form.
    Some great results that season, battering Bristol twice in the League and knocking them out of the FA Cup was sweet.

He must have had offers after Blackburn I wonder why he didn't take anything?
    At Blackburn he wasn't on set pieces which I feel.sonetimes he was worth a place in team is it for his delivery.

Guaranteed he would make 1 excellent chance every game

One of my favourite City players of my 57 years service. Showed great loyalty as well, seemed a very content individual.

A fantastic footballer. Was a great servant to us and probably my favourite ever City player. That's going back to 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    He was at his Whitts end.

A great player for us.Good luck for the future Peter

Good spot.

I take issue with the use of the word “arguable” here. Definitely one of the best players we’ve had in my lifetime, and I imagine he would be in many people’s Best City XI.

Enjoy retirement Whitts. I hope you find something interesting to do, you’ve got 30 working years left in you still!

Great player for us. City legend.

Quote Originally Posted by mazadona10 View Post
    At Blackburn he wasn't on set pieces which I feel.sonetimes he was worth a place in team is it for his delivery.

Guaranteed he would make 1 excellent chance every game
    Not when you're a centre midfielder. Can't carry someone in the middle just because they might hit a good set piece or two. There must also be a reason he wasn't on set piece duty - ie someone better than him could do it. Surprisingly our set piece accuracy improved when he went to Blackburn.

It was sad to see the demise of a once great player and club legend but Warnock was absolutely right in choosing to move him on.