+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oriental....

Oriental....

I’m ambivalent. Is the term offensive or not??

Re: Oriental....

Not if you use it occidentally.

Depends how you use it I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Depends how you use it I suppose
    Implies you think it can and can’t be.... when would it be offensive or not?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Not if you use it occidentally.
    Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Implies you think it can and can’t be.... when would it be offensive or not?
    If you need a list to check from then follow a simple rule and don't use it unless you're certain there'll be no problems.

Naively, I used to never understand why the term '****' was taken as so offensive. My reasoning being that surely it is just short for 'Pakistani' just as 'Brit' is to 'British'.

I realised later that the offence is in the fact that the term is used sweepingly to describe anyone of south Asian origin which is ignorant.

I think it’s considered offensive in the US because it’s often been used in a derogatory way and is seen as out of date. I’ve not really heard anything about it outside of that though.

I suppose “the orient” is quite an outdated term.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Naively, I used to never understand why the term '****' was taken as so offensive. My reasoning being that surely it is just short for 'Pakistani' just as 'Brit' is to 'British'.

I realised later that the offence is in the fact that the term is used sweepingly to describe anyone of south Asian origin which is ignorant.
    And it’s mostly always been used in a negative way too.

Everything is offensive when it comes to identity politics, even geographic terms. You'd be better off dropping nouns and pronouns from your vocabulary completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Everything is offensive when it comes to identity politics, even geographic terms. You'd be better off dropping nouns and pronouns from your vocabulary completely.
    That's not true though is it? The only terms that are offensive are words that have history of being used in an abusive way and to dehumanize and racially abuse people. There's no problem with Aussie, Brit, Saffa etc.

You have the odd lunatic who'll go over the top but your logic seems the sort of thing posted on 4chan by people who've never left their basement let alone visited another country

The real logic is if you're not a c*nt you'll get by, even if you accidently use an outdated term. If you are a c*nt you'll use an excuse about everything being offensive to try and cover yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    The real logic is if you're not a c*nt you'll get by, even if you accidently use an outdated term. If you are a c*nt you'll use an excuse about everything being offensive to try and cover yourself.
    You'll find that epithets are used in most countries, and I've come across quite a few names for white people.

You'll find that epithets are used in most countries, and I've come across quite a few names for white people.
    So what? There are loads of racist names for white people how does that help that complete bollocks point you've made?

The trick is still don't be a c*nt and you'll be fine.

The facade slipped with this I feel

What about that old chestnut, the “N” word.
    A horrible word, that is only acceptable nowadays if used by black folk to describe themselves.
    You couldn’t make it up 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    A horrible word, that is only acceptable nowadays if used by black folk to describe themselves.
    You couldn’t make it up ��
    But I want to say the n word too. Wah wah wah. Grow up.

You couldn’t make it up 🤔
    Is this board getting stupider or just more racist?

Are there really posters who literally have zero grasp of history or context?

You couldn’t make it up ��
    F*ck me

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    But I want to say the n word too. Wah wah wah. Grow up.
    How old are you? My point is, it’s a horrible word that nobody of any colour should be using anymore.
    It’s akin to Welsh folk getting in 1st, and describing themselves as sheep shaggers.

So what? There are loads of racist names for white people how does that help that complete bollocks point you've made?

The trick is still don't be a c*nt and you'll be fine.
    I'm just pointing out that it works in both directions, so we can also be on the receiving end. In fact, indentity politics is an American construct that has made its way to Europe, but it doesn't exist elsewhere so we could find ourselves being called politically incorrect names on our travels, and it would be considered normal.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    Is this board getting stupider or just more racist?

Are there really posters who literally have zero grasp of history or context?
    You’ve been brainwashed to follow the lemmings and accept the unacceptable.

How old are you? My point is, it’s a horrible word that nobody of any colour should be using anymore.
    It’s akin to Welsh folk getting in 1st, and describing themselves as sheep shaggers.
    This would be a valid point if racists weren't still using the word.

You’ve been brainwashed to follow the lemmings and accept the unacceptable.
    What makes you say that?

This would be a valid point if racists weren't still using the word.
    That is my point. It’s a vile word, and no matter it’s history, it should be stamped on every time it’s used, by anyone of any colour.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    What makes you say that?
    You seem to accept the word being used by black folk, because of “history and context”, when in reality, it’s like hundreds of other racist and derogatory words and term that are vile, disgusting and outdated, and no matter it’s original origin, should be condemned to the bin.