+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Under Malky, after 8 games in the Premier League, City had 8 points

Under Malky, after 8 games in the Premier League, City had 8 points

Eight points from two wins, two draws and four loses.

Obviously, five years on, standards at the top of the Premier League are considerably higher, but City had achieved the sort of start we would have loved this season.

Re: Under Malky, after 8 games in the Premier League, City had 8 points

My mojo has been seriously sapped already this season but when you look at it we are level on points with Newcastle, 1 point behind Huddersfield and only three behind Fulham and Southampton.

So we are not cut off or relegation certanties.

Even Burnley, in 12th place, are only six points ahead (and we fully deserved to beat them). So we are far from relagated and despite the media slamming us as being the worse Premier league club ever we have scored as many as Huddersfield, conceded less than £100m spending Fulham and yet we are the dogshit side they highlight.

Jason Cunty said "The writing's on the wall and we're eight games in. They are on course to be the worst side the Premier League has seen." Well FU

C'mon Neil, rile them up and show them we deserve the place in the League that we worked so hard to get to.

That side 5 years ago was quite expensive in the Championship. We were paying good wages and expected to be challenging for promotion. This time we've recently had a transfer embargo, restructuring and an over performing side. If anything that Malky team should have produced more than they did.
    Football is a funny old game and we've deserved more than the two points we currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    That side 5 years ago was quite expensive in the Championship. We were paying good wages and expected to be challenging for promotion. This time we've recently had a transfer embargo, restructuring and an over performing side. If anything that Malky team should have produced more than they did.
    Football is a funny old game and we've deserved more than the two points we currently have.
    Different league ,different times, I think our current side is better than Malkys

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Different league ,different times, I think our current side is better than Malkys
    so its the manager then

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    My mojo has been seriously sapped already this season but when you look at it we are level on points with Newcastle, 1 point behind Huddersfield and only three behind Fulham and Southampton.

So we are not cut off or relegation certanties.

Even Burnley, in 12th place, are only six points ahead (and we fully deserved to beat them). So we are far from relagated and despite the media slamming us as being the worse Premier league club ever we have scored as many as Huddersfield, conceded less than £100m spending Fulham and yet we are the dogshit side they highlight.

Jason Cunty said "The writing's on the wall and we're eight games in. They are on course to be the worst side the Premier League has seen." Well FU

C'mon Neil, rile them up and show them we deserve the place in the League that we worked so hard to get to.
    I can’t stand Cundy. Our next 5 home games will show us the path. Big time

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Eight points from two wins, two draws and four loses.

Obviously, five years on, standards at the top of the Premier League are considerably higher, but City had achieved the sort of start we would have loved this season.
    Does it really matter how many points we had? We still got relegated that season. This time last year no one saw Fulham going up nor did they see us going up. Keep the faith.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanBluebird98 View Post
    Does it really matter how many points we had? We still got relegated that season. This time last year no one saw Fulham going up nor did they see us going up. Keep the faith.
    I think we'd have stayed up under a full-season Malky, it was OGS who took us down.
    But, had we stayed up, the plastics would have kept the red going.
    Every cloud...

This time next year, no one would have seen Fulham going down, with City doing the double over them, and just staying up by a single goal scored by Rudi Gestede .😲

Sorry, posted in error.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Are you talking about Malky's team or Ole's team? I'd agree with you about Ole's side, but I'm not so sure about the team that we had for the first half of the 13/14 season.

We’ve just had a tough run of games also, last time that run started in January if my memory serves me right, when OGS took over. We never recovered from those tough games. Now, we have a good opportunity to move up the league, will we take it?

A lot more money was available to Malky.

Quote Originally Posted by C1C9F2C7 View Post
    so its the manager then
    No I think the players are better

Always thought we would average a point a game under Malky, shame there was so much grief going on behind the scenes.

Derby had accrued 5 points by this stage of the 2007/2008 season thanks largely to their only victory of the campaign which came in game 6. Manager Billy Davies was dismissed in late November following game 14 when their points total stood at 6.

So much has changed in five years since City were last in the Premier League - mainly being the effect of huge amounts of money being pumped into the highest tier of British football.

With Malky at the helm, I felt we had a solid and encouraging start. I thoroughly enjoyed our home games, felt we held our own in most matches and was quietly confident we would stay up.

I don't feel like that this season. We seem to be struggling and out of our depth - both on and off the pitch. Whatever was said between Tan and Warlock in the summer was ill-advised and an over-reaction to what happened in 2013/14 - the pendulum swung too far. The difference is that there is far more money on the table - and City should have invested far more.

Yes, we've had a testing series of fixtures, but in my view we should have at least five points by now. I am not sure things will improve when we play teams in the lower half of the league. I am turning up with little optimism and apart from the Arsenal game, I am not enjoying the match-day experience. I hope this will change - but think it unlikely.

And that's all I've got to say....

Quote Originally Posted by Shute View Post
    That is complete crap have another go
    Just consider malky did over his tenure and what he started with??

The two promotion situations are totally different. In 2013 we had been building for promotion for five years under Dave Jones and Malky Mackay and come close on a number of occasions. The team had been built gradually with this in mind and had better strength in depth. Accordingly it was expected to do better in the Premier League but we were still one of favourites to go back down. This time we went from relegation candidates to promotion in the space of 18 months. Hardly surprising therefore that the squad overall is weaker, it is taking longer to gel and most people have totally written us off. However the fans are behind the club more, the financial situation is much better and the club is acting much more prudently and planning for the future, whether it be in the Prem or Championship. We have therefore made great strides in the last year or so. Why cant we just enjoy the ride and see where it takes us. Stating that we are totally underperforming, should have spent at least another £20m and would have another three points on the board if we had is just plain daft, bearing everything in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    ... we are totally under-performing, should have spent at least another £20m and would have another three points on the board if we had ......
    Totally agree with this shrewd assessment

End of the day, we pick up 4 points from our next 3, which isn't that unrealistic then we won't be looking too bad, no one else around us is going to take significantly more than that anyway. Take less, and we still won't be far off at all, but it will be a grim situation and feeling around the club. Win none going into the november international break, then Warnock has to go. So I hope the club at least put the feelers out in the situation where we were to lose to Fulham.

I'm starting to get the impression, that someone, maybe us, is going to stay up on a new record low points total. For as good as the top teams are, and even the middle tier teams now, the bottom 4 or 5 are absolute atrocious. It's not just us who are garbage.