+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nihal Arthanayake Radio 5

Nihal Arthanayake Radio 5

I am an avid Radio 5 listener but I can no longer listen to Nihal Arthanayake afternoon edition ,I find him so over the top ,too many false wow's ,man , yeh , i'm wiv you ,Essex type chat every time someone says something ,his half hearted ghetto-talk is dreadful.

Yes i'm getting old ,and pine for Peter Allen , I'm okay with but do find him a tough listen,thankfully Sarah Brett and Tony Livesey rescue the afternoon .

Re: Nihal Arthanayake Radio 5

I agree with you 100% I find him all "me, me, me" and so I've migrated to LBC in the afternoon and Shelagh Fogarty, not ideal but a better broadcaster.

Peter Allen was a heavyweight compared to the lightweights on Radio 5 now. The 8 o'clock news usually begins with the headline '...according to a BBC survey', then devoted the nest hour to discussing it on their phone in. Utter rubbish, and can Nicky Campbell get any more of a wimp ?

Its the language that gets me , he talks like he's a lad from the hood , his interviews with the urban type music / poets , writers and Stormzy grime types , he makes out he's known them from birth ,and says thinks like I hear you man , of course he can he's listening to them, it used to be a great drive home show, not some form of woe is me off shoots radio 1 x r urban show .

I say "Its not all inner centrist urban London " ( Radio 5 ) there Is other lifestyles in the UK .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I am an avid Radio 5 listener but I can no longer listen to Nihal Arthanayake afternoon edition ,I find him so over the top ,too many false wow's ,man , yeh , i'm wiv you ,Essex type chat every time someone says something ,his half hearted ghetto-talk is dreadful.

Yes i'm getting old ,and pine for Peter Allen , I'm okay with but do find him a tough listen,thankfully Sarah Brett and Tony Livesey rescue the afternoon .
    When I first started listening a young woman from Wem in Shropshire was host in the afternoon. Can't remember her name but she was great. Can't stand current crowd and never listen in afternoons.
    Peter Alan was a giant compared with these pygmies, although I do like Nicki (golden shot) Campbell.

I agree with you too. I enjoyed his approach at first, but have really lost interest lately.

I'll even go as far in saying that BBC Radio has really lost its appeal over the past two years.

I do, however, enjoy Shaun Keavney on BBC 6 Music in the mornings. He's a good lad and his 'I can't be arsed' approach really relates.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    When I first started listening a young woman from Wem in Shropshire was host in the afternoon. Can't remember her name but she was great. Can't stand current crowd and never listen in afternoons.
    Peter Alan was a giant compared with these pygmies, although I do like Nicki (golden shot) Campbell.
    Sybil Ruscoe?

Have to agree about Peter Allan.
    Having studied interviewing techniques as part of my business, listening to him was like music to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    Sybil Ruscoe?
    Good memory, I do feel there's a dumbing down of talent at the BBC.

Ah , good, thought it was just me. I find his interviewing technique and presenting style really irritating

I'm not sure about Adrian Chiles, sometimes he's really good ,other times I want him to be very quiet.

Victoria Derbyshire ,what a god , she speaks proper English.

Anglo-scentric piffle the lot of it....apart from Dotun and WF. I do a bit of World Service, foreign music channels (rtve Radio 3, FIP, Hala bedi irratia ). Some NPR (the americans can be as annoying as the english though). Radio Cymru h.stephens...taror post (quite boring).

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Anglo-scentric piffle the lot of it....apart from Dotun and WF. I do a bit of World Service, foreign music channels (rtve Radio 3, FIP, Hala bedi irratia ). Some NPR (the americans can be as annoying as the english though). Radio Cymru h.stephens...taror post (quite boring).
    Bloody hell ,you've lost me ,can you decipher , I can better understand Nihal Arthanayake lol

Switched Radio 5 on this morning and the first thing I heard was them banging on about a Royal Wedding that was taking place today which I'd not heard about until then and they're still talking about it every time I've listened to the channel since then. The phone in at 9 o clock was about it and was presented by someone (Claire McDonald?) who obviously thought it was a great thing -all of the people interviewed while I was listening were pro the Royal Family, but she did mention that they were getting texts asking why the wedding should be paid for out of the public purse. When someone texted in to say that the cost of the policing for the marriage of this relatively minor Royal (I think her name was Eugenie) should come out of the public purse because the Queen and other more prominent members of the Royal Family had to be protected at the event, the presenter babbled "good point, good point" - neutral it certainly wasn't!

It all seemed to sum up what Radio 5 is in danger of becoming - a candy floss station.

I couldn't agree more with you. I have listened to Radio 5 for many years now but it has gradually got worse over the years. Peter Allen was excellent and the only one worth listening to now is Nicky Campbell in the morning. As for the Arthanayke fella, I really can't stand him for the reasons set out throughout the thread. I thought these people needed to be politically unbiased whilst on air? He positively sneers at anything to do with anything right of centre.

I used to listen to Radio 4 many years ago but got sick of their condescending attitude towards football. I started listening to Radio 5 during Euro 96 and it's been generally pretty good over the years. Nowadays I tend to flick between Radio 5 and BBC Wales although it has to be pretty bad to resort to the latter. Occasionally I have to go back to Radio 4 as both of the others have become too irritating.

I only ever really listen on my drive to work and from work so I'm spared some of the drivel others have described in this thread. Peter Allen and Jane Garvey were a great double act. Victoria Derbyshire was good too. Nicky Campbell and Rachel Burden are generally OK although they seem to think I'm interested in their own lives and viewpoints more than I actually am.

Bloody hell ,you've lost me ,can you decipher , I can better understand Nihal Arthanayake lol
    different radio channels.....as alternatives to what bbc/local stations offer. Google them. Some are worth a listen, especially if you don’t mind not understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    different radio channels.....as alternatives to what bbc/local stations offer. Google them. Some are worth a listen, especially if you don’t mind not understanding.
    I will , I have tuned into LBC, a few times,love my radio.

Huge numbers listen to the radio, easily out doing any TV .