+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    And there was a talking snake in the Garden of Eden.
    As we both know, it is illustrative of man giving in to temptation.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    As we both know, it is illustrative of man giving in to temptation.
    What about the Red Sea parting and the Virgin Birth? And Noah's Ark and creating the universe in a week?
    My lay-preacher friend describes it all as true and would describe your perspective a 'pick and mix' i.e. choosing what you decide as true or not. The whole nature of religion is a form of folklore and is consequently morphing into new schisms. Just look at the broad brush of Abrahamism. And let's not even go into how your so-called Holy Book was compiled and by whom, other versions thereof, its inconsistencies and contradictions and the inclusion of myriad of stories lifted from previous religions.
    Most people believe in a religion merely as they have been indoctrinated as a child. Of all the thousands of gods people have believed in why do you think you 'chose' the one one that has dominated Europe in recent centuries? Perhaps the Roman Empire had more to do with it than the concept of free will. We can all have a good stab at guessing any believer's religion by the language they speak - as language and religion travel the same cultural conduits. If people really were free-thinkers and believed indeities why don't any Eskimos seem to believe in Hinduism and why don't the Irish believe in Greek gods? It's all about time and place and what is passed down to you.
    And even in this day and age people believe the most ridiculous stories without there being a shred of evidence.

What about the Red Sea parting and the Virgin Birth? And Noah's Ark and creating the universe in a week?
    My lay-preacher friend describes it all as true and would describe your perspective a 'pick and mix' i.e. choosing what you decide as true or not. The whole nature of religion is a form of folklore and is consequently morphing into new schisms. Just look at the broad brush of Abrahamism. And let's not even go into how your so-called Holy Book was compiled and by whom, other versions thereof, its inconsistencies and contradictions and the inclusion of myriad of stories lifted from previous religions.
    Most people believe in a religion merely as they have been indoctrinated as a child. Of all the thousands of gods people have believed in why do you think you 'chose' the one one that has dominated Europe in recent centuries? Perhaps the Roman Empire had more to do with it than the concept of free will. We can all have a good stab at guessing any believer's religion by the language they speak - as language and religion travel the same cultural conduits. If people really were free-thinkers and believed indeities why don't any Eskimos seem to believe in Hinduism and why don't the Irish believe in Greek gods? It's all about time and place and what is passed down to you.
    And even in this day and age people believe the most ridiculous stories without there being a shred of evidence.
    I'm not pick and mix. The testaments were written many thousands of years ago by the educated few to record events of the day. They need to be read with an understanding of the world at that time. Noah for example describes what modern day historians call the great flood of the Black Sea, and there is similar historical back up for the escape of the persecuted across the Red Sea.
    Your views on religion and Christianity are different to mine. Maybe there is more to it than fokelore when the calendar that you and I use everyday records time as before and after Christ. Some impact for a ridiculous story.

I'm not pick and mix. The testaments were written many thousands of years ago by the educated few to record events of the day. They need to be read with an understanding of the world at that time. Noah for example describes what modern day historians call the great flood of the Black Sea, and there is similar historical back up for the escape of the persecuted across the Red Sea.
    Your views on religion and Christianity are different to mine. Maybe there is more to it than fokelore when the calendar that you and I use everyday records time as before and after Christ. Some impact for a ridiculous story.
    We also have days of the week and months of the year named after Roman and Viking gods

We also have days of the week and months of the year named after Roman and Viking gods
    This God sounds like an ungrateful sod...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-52104753
    Coronavirus: Search for hundreds of people after Delhi prayer meeting
    Delhi.jpg
    Hundreds have been leaving the mosque to be monitored or tested for the virus
    Officials across India are searching for hundreds of people who attended a religious event in the capital that has set off several Covid-19 clusters.

At least six regions have reported cases that can be directly traced to the days-long congregation at a mosque.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    This God sounds like an ungrateful sod...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-52104753
    Coronavirus: Search for hundreds of people after Delhi prayer meeting
    Delhi.jpg
    Hundreds have been leaving the mosque to be monitored or tested for the virus
    Officials across India are searching for hundreds of people who attended a religious event in the capital that has set off several Covid-19 clusters.

At least six regions have reported cases that can be directly traced to the days-long congregation at a mosque.
    Orthodox Muslims

Flood myths are found in many ancient cultures. They often share themes and plots. The story of Noah is the most well known but by no means the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Flood myths are found in many ancient cultures. They often share themes and plots. The story of Noah is the most well known but by no means the earliest.
    Nakedness,Temptation and The Garden of Eden; boatbuilding in preparation for the Deluge; The Commandments; the concept of a Messiah; Heaven and Hell; the Jonah story; The Son of God; the Virgin birth etc etc etc. They were all filched from previous religions.
    It's absolutely fascinating folklore.

In my experience, most Christians seem to have hardly any knowledge of the various compilations of their holy books and how parts of them have been added, filtered out and censored by ecclesiastical authorities as time has progressed. And of where many of the stories came from.

In English yes. But I'm not talking colloquially.

Globally dates are measured in time as before or after Christ

In English yes. But I'm not talking colloquially.

Globally dates are measured in time as before or after Christ
    You are wrong about describing such usage (and which occurs in many languages) as being colloquial. You will find that many of the terms are formal. However, it all matters not as all such terms and indeed the years numbers we use (and which are measured differently in the world of Islam) mean absolutely nothing as far as verifying a deity. It just reflects the influence of the Roman Empire, as I stated in another context. Two months ago it was the month of January but it hardly proves that J**** existed.