+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Can you imagine how cardiff fans would react if we passed the ball around at the back like Luton did yesterday?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Can you imagine how cardiff fans would react if we passed the ball around at the back like Luton did yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    There are plenty of teams down the years who have done all of the things you list to some extent or another and achieved success.

Maybe for the first time ever, I agree with some of what Ronnie Bird says because I think there is some merit in playing like we do because, these days, opponents don't get as much experience of facing it as they once did, but I think there is a lot of keeping the, blind, faith going on since yesterday's match - City won, so everything is fine.

I can't speak for others, but because I'm critical of the way we play, it doesn't mean I want us to play in a possession for possession's sake way. That's a very extreme version of playing the game where possession is respected, while we play an increasingly extreme version of an attritional game where, it seems that having the ball for only a third of a game is regarded as no bad thing.

Neither of those approaches will bring you long term success, especially in the Premier League. You need to mix things up a bit and get sides guessing what you are likely to do going into a match - I think the fans would accept an attacking approach which saw us showing a bit more patience than we do now to try an work an opening.
    Most people would be happy with watching us play like we did against Wolves, Leeds or Villa last time we were here wouldn’t they?

The challenge is attaining that level consistently. I’m not sure whether we abandoned the approach last time around or just started to run out of steam once we started picking up injuries and knocks along the way.

Re: Can you imagine how cardiff fans would react if we passed the ball around at the back like Luton did yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Most people would be happy with watching us play like we did against Wolves, Leeds or Villa last time we were here wouldn’t they?

The challenge is attaining that level consistently. I’m not sure whether we abandoned the approach last time around or just started to run out of steam once we started picking up injuries and knocks along the way.
    Yes they would, I know I would, but, as you say, we couldn't maintain that standard. Nevertheless, the fact that we showed we were capable of hitting those heights meant that the team and fans took great heart and confidence from that - for all of that season, we had a belief which sustained us when matches became more of a battle. We don't have anything like that to help us yet this season, but I encouraged by Pack who I thought brought a bit of cohesion to our midfield so that,even when we had our bad spell before half time, we were not conceding possession so easily as we have been when having one of those twenty minute horror spells that have become too familiar over the past two years or so.