+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Brighton after Zohore

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Brighton after Zohore

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    There is some amazing stuff in this and most other threads I've read concerning Zohore this summer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this 23 year-old has so far had less than half a decent season at Championship level. I saw him in February against Fulham and he was excellent against what was a very generous defence, but I'd also watched him a month earlier against Burton and he was absolutely dreadful. He had an eleven-game, two-month purple patch, during which he netted an impressive total of ten goals, but he then scored just one in the last six matches of the 2016/17 campaign.

Does anybody seriously believe clubs would pay out sums like £10 million, £15 million or even £20 million for a player with such a record? It appears so, but to me that looks like wishful thinking to put it mildly.
    Evening Dave

I think a lot of the bits of my response have already been written but I'll add that I was looking at what he was worth to us as a club in terms of the reason that fans come to games - to be excited. Selling Zohore at this moment in time would be a PR disaster if we did not get a fee for him that the fans could understand why we sold him.

For the first time in a few seasons we have a player who seems to have the 'X' factor as Malky described it. Add in the potential that Tomlin also has to do the unexpected and you have a team that are worth going to watch from an entertainment viewpoint.

Zohore could well be bloody useless this season, though I would be surprised if he was, but it is just the possibility that we could be about to watch something very special this season that has got everyone looking forward to kick-off.

What is that worth to us as a club? I think it's priceless but, if pushed, then I'd say in the current market that a player with his recent record, including 2 goals and 2 assists in one U-21 International match, is worth about that for say a club who perhaps won't attract the more established names and has to take a gamble.

Do I think that is sensible money? No - but if you are desperate and need to gamble then I'd think you could convince yourself it was based on what he has done in the last 6 months.

I can't help but think that many are in for big disappointment and a reality check in the coming months.
    Of course in a perfect storm situation we could win the division but all things being equal then a similar finish to last season is on the cards.
    We're supporters, I get that, but blind optimism is futile and not for me and right NOW KZ is not a £10m player, Colin is not Pep Guardiola and we're unlikely to make the play offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    I can't help but think that many are in for big disappointment and a reality check in the coming months.
    Of course in a perfect storm situation we could win the division but all things being equal then a similar finish to last season is on the cards.
    We're supporters, I get that, but blind optimism is futile and not for me and right NOW KZ is not a £10m player, Colin is not Pep Guardiola and we're unlikely to make the play offs.

Reality check, about what exactly?

No one has talked about winning The Championship on this message board, hopes of making the play-offs ... perhaps and is that really outside the realms of possibility, I think not?

Yes, Neil (why do our own supporters insist on calling him "Colin"?) isn't Pep Guardiola and I'm happy he's not - how would Guardiola cope with a limited budget like ours?

As for your statement that Zahore is not worth £10m right now? ... I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Reality check, about what exactly?

No one has talked about winning The Championship on this message board, hopes of making the play-offs ... perhaps and is that really outside the realms of possibility, I think not?

Yes, Neil (why do our own supporters insist on calling him "Colin"?) isn't Pep Guardiola and I'm happy he's not - how would Guardiola cope with a limited budget like ours?

As for your statement that Zahore is not worth £10m right now? ... I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

Well said. Like you I really don't understand why some on here choose to refer to our manager in such a derogatory way.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Do I think that is sensible money? No - but if you are desperate and need to gamble then I'd think you could convince yourself it was based on what he has done in the last 6 months.
    It would be interesting to know what, if anything, Hull actually did bid for Zohore. That may help to give us a better idea of what sort of figures are realistic for him at this stage. It's almost impossible to judge because very rarely has anyone gone from looking like a glorified parks player to one who has Premier League potential in such a short space of time, but that will undoubtedly be something that any potential bidder will have in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    It would be interesting to know what, if anything, Hull actually did bid for Zohore. That may help to give us a better idea of what sort of figures are realistic for him at this stage. It's almost impossible to judge because very rarely has anyone gone from looking like a glorified parks player to one who has Premier League potential in such a short space of time, but that will undoubtedly be something that any potential bidder will have in mind.
    I think a figure of around £6M was mentioned somewhere that we turned down. I agree that it's almost impossible to know how to value someone who has gone through the sort of change we've seen in Zohore, but the fact that we don't have to sell will mean that we can hold out for a price we think he's worth. The fact that NW has mentioned around £15M would seem to set out what the Club think he might be worth.

Anyhow, it's all conjecture. I hope we do not have to find out this season what his value is and that he continues to improve as quickly as he has already.