+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Swansea fans and Steve Cooper

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Swansea fans and Steve Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    I listen to a couple of podcasts with Elis James, a comedian and avid Swansea fan. Despite his allegiance, I really like him. However recently, he has made the point about the so called "Swansea Way". Now, in terms of the style of football they play I would have said this is a relatively recent thing, but James labours the point that this so called attractive keep ball style dates back to the fifties, and is something that Swansea fans demand. They would put this "philosophy" over league position and trophies. Now, when Cooper left Swansea, despite leading them to the play offs twice, it suited the Jacks narrative that this was down to them demanding their so called "way". At the time, however, the general thought was he had left due to foreseeing issues in terms of transfers that coming summer. If that was the case, I don't think he would have come anywhere near us if the chance had arisen.
    I like Elis James, but surely that's bollocks about it being a style of play since the 50s.
    your typical Neil Warnock side these days is probably closer in style to the attractive keep ball teams than a team from the 50s

Re: Swansea fans and Steve Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I like Elis James, but surely that's bollocks about it being a style of play since the 50s.
    your typical Neil Warnock side these days is probably closer in style to the attractive keep ball teams than a team from the 50s
    I agree, I also think its bollocks that they would favour style over substance if it meant staying up. He definitely said it and I was thinking "that's not right". Cooper going just fitted in with their cock eyed view that Swansea is some footballing hotbed.