Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The football 'hardman'

Norman Hunter bite your leg end of thread

Norman Hunter
    Tommy Smith
    Ron "Chopper" Harris

I know we tend to look at the "olden days" with rose tinted glasses, but those three would have Roy Keane for breakfast, phsychos the lot of them. With today's laws/refereeing they'd be sent off after about five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Norman Hunter
    Tommy Smith
    Ron "Chopper" Harris

I know we tend to look at the "olden days" with rose tinted glasses, but those three would have Roy Keane for breakfast, phsychos the lot of them. With today's laws/refereeing they'd be sent off after about five minutes.
    They wouldn't get close enough to foul today's players.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I hope that's a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Be sent off all the time these days, can you imagine the darlings of today with billy whitehurst coning at you

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    Norman Hunter bite your leg end of thread
    Hunter was a milksop compared to Dave Mackay. I saw them both play many times and I would have to say that no one came near to matching Dave Mackay as a hardman on and off the pitch.

Plenty of hardmen/nutters mentioned but, as with lots of lists, most of the players mentioned so far are from the upper echelons of football. Here are a few that I can recall from a bit lower down the pecking order.

Eric Winstanley
    It always seemed that the City never got much change out of Duncan Forbes and David Stringer of Norwich
    Walter Bingley
    Mark Dennis
    I remember it being said in the Press that just saying the names of the Middlesbrough defence of the early 70s was like chewing iron filings- Frank Spraggon, John Craggs, Stuart Boam, Willie Maddren - a formidable lot when they were Div 2 Champions
    Eric Skeels
    Harry Cripps
    Roger Hynd
    Ian Ure was a fearsome centre half for Arsenal and, in the 3rd round FA cup tie v Arsenal in 1969, John Toshack got absolutely nowhere against him

I'm sure that there are plenty of others from the lower divisions that posters will recall