Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
Including our goalkeeper. Seems a funny time of the season to be trying out players, unless they've been released early by other clubs.

Par for the course these days. More often than not it's a bit of a mess when that many trialists are playing, it doesn't seem to benefit anyone. To have a fairly settled team and style of play would make it easier to accommodate a couple of new lads but there doesn't seem to be a recognisable system any more and the continual line-up changes make the whole thing very disjointed.

There seems to be a move towards playing in a more direct way but it doesn't suit the players we have and I guess it's hard to organise stuff like pressing and counter-attacking with so many new faces each week. In the last couple of home games we've had midfielders dropping back to take the ball off the keeper at times (James Waite and, tonight, trialist Chris Regis) which I'm fine with but even the regular players must wonder how we're meant to be playing.

Regis was quite impressive tonight, easy to believe he has been at Arsenal and Southampton's academies, but apparently has an attitude problem and has turned 21 without getting anywhere (he's being released by Port Vale from what I can make out). The other trialists didn't stand out, the keeper gave the first goal away by kicking it at the advancing striker and the rebound went straight in.

James Waite, as usual, was the stand out player. Some magical touches from him and a great shot which hit the bar but a 2-0 defeat was about right. Lots of injuries at that level (another one tonight as Connor Young went off early) but it seems crazy to just have one outfield sub for a home game. I can't work out what's happening, hopefully all will become clear as time goes on but this season has been a bit of a washout.