+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which CCMB poster will the subject of an article in "Family Tree" magazine?

Re: Which CCMB poster will the subject of an article in "Family Tree" magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Yes, he is the father of one of your parents.
    :fingers:

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    My grand-dad was called Cornelius.
    Are we related?
    I don't think so. The Cornelius in my family was born in 1668

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    My grand-dad was called Cornelius.
    Are we related?
    My grandfather's middle name was 'Loverock'. Just sayin'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Are you doing me? A relative of mine invented the telescope I heard
    Remind me not to talk to you when you've been drinking again.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    My grandfather's middle name was 'Loverock'. Just sayin'
    I have an female ancestor with the Christian name, Midsummer. "Middie"?

Richyrich

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I have an female ancestor with the Christian name, Midsummer. "Middie"?
    Hey Cyclops, how hard is it to research the ancestry of a Jones in Wales?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Remind me not to talk to you when you've been drinking again.
    I didn't have a effing clue what you was on about last night. I was looking at the messages with one eye open.
    Then my sweet n sour chicken balls came. Yum yum

Yes, he is the father of one of your parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    You'd be surprised that it is not necessarily as difficult as you'd imagine.

Blog Entries

I didn't have a effing clue what you was on about last night. I was looking at the messages with one eye open.

You'd be surprised that it is not necessarily as difficult as you'd imagine.
    Not quite as easy as they make it look on 'Who Do You Think You Are' though is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    Best of luck with that one mate.
    I tried tracing my Mum's side of my family tree back and I was getting nowhere, and she got a very unusual surname.
    In the end Cyclops kindly agreed to trace mine back for me and some of the stuff he unearthed was staggering. Not just the names of my ancestors but lots of info about them too. He managed to go back as far as my grandfather x 8 in the 1600s.

Banned

Cyclops do me bruv please.

TMI again

Blog Entries

Cyclops do me bruv please.
    Now there's an offer he can't refuse

The article has gone to the printers and will be in the July issue of Family Tree - in all good newsagents around the middle of June.

The following is an abridged version of what was sent to the editor and it was illustrated by photos. I'm posting it as many have messaged me with an unhealthy (even morbid) interest in the origins of one of our more out-there posters.

"The Benefits of Using a Professional Researcher for Your Family Research.

Two days before Christmas, 2016, a client (we will call her ‘Z’) wrote this comment about episodes of WDYTYA: ‘None of them compare to what was sitting on my doorstep this morning, which was my own family history... it's the most amazing gift I've ever had, it's not often I'm lost for words but I am right now, I really can't thank him enough. I need to go and cry now.’ After sending a report of someone’s ancestry, the standard feedback is, “Thanks”. What prompted this exceptional reaction?

Z’s extraordinary family tree is festooned with notable and notorious characters. We will spotlight some and draw some conclusions about the benefits of using a professional researcher for the journey of discovery.

Case Study One: Z’s grtx5 grandfather, William Tallemach (1783 – 1816). This forefather appeared unremarkable at first sight - until I eventually discovered him listed in a dictionary of sculptors. William designed and sculpted a memorial which adorns St Mary’s and All Saints Church, Beaconsfield.

Then, in 1816, he won a prestigious commission for a monument in St Pauls Cathedral to commemorate the deaths of Generals Gore and Skerett while storming a Dutch fort. William died after designing this piece and the work was executed by Sir Francis Chantrey.

So how were these facts unearthed? Google-searching “William Tallemach” generated no relevant hits. But then, going the extra mile, I found his children’s baptism records. They, and only they, disclosed that William’s occupation was a sculptor. Linking this to his name in the Google search box resulted in the dramatic discovery of his work.

Case Study Two: Z’s grtx7 grandfather, Henry Pyefinch (1737-1779). There is an impressive mountain of archived documents about Henry. He designed and manufactured optical instruments. George Washington used a spyglass made by “the well-known London optical instrument maker” which “constituted part of my equipage during the late War”.

Surviving examples of Henry’s instruments are auctioned today for four-figure sums. Remarkably, his work remains in the public eye in 2017.

My report for Z featured several pages of information about Henry. How was this amassed? Whenever I research individuals, I use an extensive checklist of potential sources to be sure every avenue is explored. As a result Henry was found in Old Bailey proceedings; The Gentleman’s Magazine (a plan of his London Cornhill shop); wills at The National Archives and several references in Google Books (which is a valuable source of biographical data).

Case Study Three: Z’s grtx2 grandfather, Peter Clearey (1850 – 1935), was involved in a particularly unsavoury crime (Z: ‘grim’) at Edinburgh in September 1885. It was widely reported and reads like a historical novel by Ian Rankin. For years, Cleary was in a gang that preyed on courting couples canoodling on the Crags. The man was led away to be blackmailed while the woman was ‘ill-used’.

But this time, the woman escaped, only to plunge headlong over a cliff to her death. In court, Cleary turned ‘Queen’s Evidence’. The Lord-Advocate called it ‘the most horrible (crime) he had ever heard of’.

This episode was discovered because I routinely check the names of clients’ ancestors in three on-line newspaper archives. This particular example also illustrates the need to painstakingly trawl alternative spellings of surnames – Z’s ancestor was noted as Peter Clarey.

Case Study Four: Z’s grtx3 grandmother, Eliza Styles. There was a brick wall around Eliza which baffled seven researchers on an internet forum. She was recorded as married to Henry Styles with children, also named ‘Styles’ (1861); and as the unmarried Eliza Lindsay with boarders including ‘Styles’ young men (1881).Their baptism records disclosed that their father was Henry Weatherley although they were named ‘Styles’ on their birth certificates. Why was such a smokescreen created? Theories abounded, with no resolution.

While investigating Eliza Styles, I found a story in the Marylebone Mercury (19/3/1864), ‘The Amours of a Confectioner’. Eliza had been employed in a shop woman by the married, Henry Weatherley. He had broken ‘open her bedroom door and seduced her’. Eliza was chasing Henry for financial support of three children. This answered all the questions about the couple.

This cutting generated another line of Z’s ancestry - via Henry Weatherley. Now the surprises came thick and fast. The report mentioned that he was a confectioner - but neglected to tell the full story of his achievements.

Henry didn’t just sell sweets. He invented machinery to accelerate the production of confection which was displayed at the Great Exhibition (1851). He also wrote a 130-page book, ‘On the Art of Boiling Sugar’. This featured more than 70 recipes (including barley sugar and Everton toffee) and is still sold today. Henry’s textbook has recently been described as ‘seminal and hitherto overlooked’ and as providing “the most revealing insights into this period of transition”. Henry still makes ripples today. This news helped Z (a confirmed sweet-fancier) to accept her ancestor, despite his philandering.

This example illustrates how brick walls may be demolished by the delving of a professional researcher and how clues, once found, can provide significant information about an ancestor.

Z’s family story was related in 123 pages of two comb-bound books. A well-written report is a further reason for using the services of an experienced researcher. Z wrote, ‘...thank you so much, to say I'm thrilled is an understatement, it has made my Christmas, can't wait to show my Dad on Christmas Day’."

Thanks for sharing that mate.
    Mrs R's family tree appears quite normal compared to my lot

Blog Entries

The article has gone to the printers and will be in the July issue of Family Tree - in all good newsagents around the middle of June.

The following is an abridged version of what was sent to the editor and it was illustrated by photos. I'm posting it as many have messaged me with an unhealthy (even morbid) interest in the origins of one of our more out-there posters.

"The Benefits of Using a Professional Researcher for Your Family Research.

Two days before Christmas, 2016, a client (we will call her ‘Z’) wrote this comment about episodes of WDYTYA: ‘None of them compare to what was sitting on my doorstep this morning, which was my own family history... it's the most amazing gift I've ever had, it's not often I'm lost for words but I am right now, I really can't thank him enough. I need to go and cry now.’ After sending a report of someone’s ancestry, the standard feedback is, “Thanks”. What prompted this exceptional reaction?

Z’s extraordinary family tree is festooned with notable and notorious characters. We will spotlight some and draw some conclusions about the benefits of using a professional researcher for the journey of discovery.

Case Study One: Z’s grtx5 grandfather, William Tallemach (1783 – 1816). This forefather appeared unremarkable at first sight - until I eventually discovered him listed in a dictionary of sculptors. William designed and sculpted a memorial which adorns St Mary’s and All Saints Church, Beaconsfield.

Then, in 1816, he won a prestigious commission for a monument in St Pauls Cathedral to commemorate the deaths of Generals Gore and Skerett while storming a Dutch fort. William died after designing this piece and the work was executed by Sir Francis Chantrey.

So how were these facts unearthed? Google-searching “William Tallemach” generated no relevant hits. But then, going the extra mile, I found his children’s baptism records. They, and only they, disclosed that William’s occupation was a sculptor. Linking this to his name in the Google search box resulted in the dramatic discovery of his work.

Case Study Two: Z’s grtx7 grandfather, Henry Pyefinch (1737-1779). There is an impressive mountain of archived documents about Henry. He designed and manufactured optical instruments. George Washington used a spyglass made by “the well-known London optical instrument maker” which “constituted part of my equipage during the late War”.

Surviving examples of Henry’s instruments are auctioned today for four-figure sums. Remarkably, his work remains in the public eye in 2017.

My report for Z featured several pages of information about Henry. How was this amassed? Whenever I research individuals, I use an extensive checklist of potential sources to be sure every avenue is explored. As a result Henry was found in Old Bailey proceedings; The Gentleman’s Magazine (a plan of his London Cornhill shop); wills at The National Archives and several references in Google Books (which is a valuable source of biographical data).

Case Study Three: Z’s grtx2 grandfather, Peter Clearey (1850 – 1935), was involved in a particularly unsavoury crime (Z: ‘grim’) at Edinburgh in September 1885. It was widely reported and reads like a historical novel by Ian Rankin. For years, Cleary was in a gang that preyed on courting couples canoodling on the Crags. The man was led away to be blackmailed while the woman was ‘ill-used’.

But this time, the woman escaped, only to plunge headlong over a cliff to her death. In court, Cleary turned ‘Queen’s Evidence’. The Lord-Advocate called it ‘the most horrible (crime) he had ever heard of’.

This episode was discovered because I routinely check the names of clients’ ancestors in three on-line newspaper archives. This particular example also illustrates the need to painstakingly trawl alternative spellings of surnames – Z’s ancestor was noted as Peter Clarey.

Case Study Four: Z’s grtx3 grandmother, Eliza Styles. There was a brick wall around Eliza which baffled seven researchers on an internet forum. She was recorded as married to Henry Styles with children, also named ‘Styles’ (1861); and as the unmarried Eliza Lindsay with boarders including ‘Styles’ young men (1881).Their baptism records disclosed that their father was Henry Weatherley although they were named ‘Styles’ on their birth certificates. Why was such a smokescreen created? Theories abounded, with no resolution.

While investigating Eliza Styles, I found a story in the Marylebone Mercury (19/3/1864), ‘The Amours of a Confectioner’. Eliza had been employed in a shop woman by the married, Henry Weatherley. He had broken ‘open her bedroom door and seduced her’. Eliza was chasing Henry for financial support of three children. This answered all the questions about the couple.

This cutting generated another line of Z’s ancestry - via Henry Weatherley. Now the surprises came thick and fast. The report mentioned that he was a confectioner - but neglected to tell the full story of his achievements.

Henry didn’t just sell sweets. He invented machinery to accelerate the production of confection which was displayed at the Great Exhibition (1851). He also wrote a 130-page book, ‘On the Art of Boiling Sugar’. This featured more than 70 recipes (including barley sugar and Everton toffee) and is still sold today. Henry’s textbook has recently been described as ‘seminal and hitherto overlooked’ and as providing “the most revealing insights into this period of transition”. Henry still makes ripples today. This news helped Z (a confirmed sweet-fancier) to accept her ancestor, despite his philandering.

This example illustrates how brick walls may be demolished by the delving of a professional researcher and how clues, once found, can provide significant information about an ancestor.

Z’s family story was related in 123 pages of two comb-bound books. A well-written report is a further reason for using the services of an experienced researcher. Z wrote, ‘...thank you so much, to say I'm thrilled is an understatement, it has made my Christmas, can't wait to show my Dad on Christmas Day’."
    "I'm posting it as many have messaged me with an unhealthy (even morbid) interest in the origins of one of our more out-there posters."

Funny.

Seriously though, it's great, looking forward to buying my copy. it was amazing to find out so much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Ain't that the truth!

Z’s family story was related in 123 pages of two comb-bound books. A well-written report is a further reason for using the services of an experienced researcher. Z wrote, ‘...thank you so much, to say I'm thrilled is an understatement, it has made my Christmas, can't wait to show my Dad on Christmas Day’."[/SIZE]
    I think Henry Styles has a descendant who is rather popular with the ladies nowadays.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Thanks for sharing that mate.
    Peter was not what I would call normal, it was pretty grim reading finding out what he got up to, are you glad you did it though?

I think Henry Styles has a descendant who is rather popular with the ladies nowadays.
    Does he break in to their bedrooms and seduce them?

If Eliza was claiming for three children then did Henry "break open her bedroom door and seduced her" three times? After the first time you would think she would get a better lock or even move out. I noticed that Henry's textbook was described as "seminal and hitherto overlooked". There are many on here with books like that.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    If Eliza was claiming for three children then did Henry "break open her bedroom door and seduced her" three times? After the first time you would think she would get a better lock or even move out..
    Hmmmm......

P'raps this cutting helps:

FT article Eliza Styles Marylebone Mercury 19 March 1864.jpg

A rum lot, if you ask me......

Blog Entries

Hmmmm......

P'raps this cutting helps:

A rum lot, if you ask me......

There was clearly something going on between them to have 3 kids, perhaps his barley sugar was hard to resist?

I find it interesting that some people have no interest in their ancestors. Perhaps they are cynics who think you don't really know who your ancestors are because there has been so much sleeping around. I've traced all my lines back to at least 1800. One of the things I've noticed after 20 odd years of interest in genealogy is that there is little feeling of kinship to someone more than a second cousin away.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    I find it interesting that some people have no interest in their ancestors. Perhaps they are cynics who think you don't really know who your ancestors are because there has been so much sleeping around. I've traced all my lines back to at least 1800. One of the things I've noticed after 20 odd years of interest in genealogy is that there is little feeling of kinship to someone more than a second cousin away.
    I've always had an interest in mine, I was surprised how attached I got to some of them having never known them, especially Henry Pyefinch as there was a lot of info about him, I really got a feel of what his life was like, I thought it was fascinating.