+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Where Villa and Fulham could come unstuck

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Where Villa and Fulham could come unstuck

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Judging by Eric's last paragraph it seems we are up against it... even if we didn't think that before!

Too many points on offer and with the amount of factors that go into how a football match pans out, I take most statistics and historical games with a large pinch of salt.

Throw an "inexperienced" official in the mix and form, tactics and quality can quickly become null and void.
    A lick of paint on a goalpost can mean the difference between success and failure, ask Harry Kane.

That is not to say that these types of post aren't interesting, good research and analysis by the way Eric.

I tend to agree with Ninian that it might well go down to the last game as far as automatic for us is concerned and, if it is to be decided on goal difference, we will probably lose out judging by the amount of recent wins by the odd goal.
    I think I might take a last game decider right now mind you, as I suspect would many others.
    At the moment, us, Villa and Fulham have equal GD (24), however, Villa have 56, and Fulham 62 goals scored compared to our 52. The number of clean sheets we've had have certainly boosted our GD, but I wouldn't want to rely on GD to go up.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    At the moment, us, Villa and Fulham have equal GD (24), however, Villa have 56, and Fulham 62 goals scored compared to our 52. The number of clean sheets we've had have certainly boosted our GD, but I wouldn't want to rely on GD to go up.
    Surely less goals conceded usually equals more points on the board?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Surely less goals conceded usually equals more points on the board?
    If we finish the season with equal goal difference, the next stage is goals scored. The point I'm making is that if we're on the same points and GD at the end of the season as Villa or Fulham, it would be goals scored as the next measure - Fulham at the moment have scored 10 more goals than us.

If we draw 3 games 0-0 and Fulham win 3 games 2-1 we'd have the same GD as we do now, but Fulham will have scored 16 goals more than us, with a GD of an extra +3, and 9 points compared to our 3.

So no, less goals conceded doesn't always equal more points.

It's difficult to predict results in this league but strange results have been few and far between recently eg Wolves losing at home to Forest and Ipswich winning at Preston.

It is difficult to see past Fulham and Villa winning their more routine games with ease whereas City may have to again squeak through with their injury problems..

ps. Villa and Fulham having an injury crisis (or any injuries or suspensions) might help.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk View Post
    If we finish the season with equal goal difference, the next stage is goals scored. The point I'm making is that if we're on the same points and GD at the end of the season as Villa or Fulham, it would be goals scored as the next measure - Fulham at the moment have scored 10 more goals than us.

If we draw 3 games 0-0 and Fulham win 3 games 2-1 we'd have the same GD as we do now, but Fulham will have scored 16 goals more than us, with a GD of an extra +3, and 9 points compared to our 3.

So no, less goals conceded doesn't always equal more points.
    And if your auntie had bollox she'd be you uncle!!!