+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: No Deal Brexit.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: No Deal Brexit.

Dominic Frisby (Money Week) makes a strong case for the benefits of leaving the single market in an interview with Adam Boulton on Sky News.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...mment/90774087

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Dominic Frisby (Money Week) makes a strong case for the benefits of leaving the single market in an interview with Adam Boulton on Sky News.

Just goes to show that no one can claim that the 52 per cent speak with a united voice once you start looking beyond the basic yes/no question in a referendum where the quality of debate was abysmal on both sides.
    Remain's project fear almost made me a leave voter, but then you see things like this which make me glad I wasn't.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ave-vote-leave

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just goes to show that no one can claim that the 52 per cent speak with a united voice once you start looking beyond the basic yes/no question in a referendum where the quality of debate was abysmal on both sides.
    Remain's project fear almost made me a leave voter, but then you see things like this which make me glad I wasn't.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ave-vote-leave
    The quality of debate was shit, let's be fair. My position at the time was that my default position was to remain and it was up to the leavers to convince mt that leaving was going to improve on what we already had.

It's interesting that you view the remain campaign as being project fear. I thought the remain campaign focused too much on the negatives of leaving, and not the positives of staying. Some of Cameron's claims were fanciful, how that cretin ever made it to Tory leader is amazing, but then the Tories haven't had a good leader since John Major.

I saw the leave campaign as being equally about project fear. The millions of Albanians and Turks, the Europe army and all that jazz was equally about striking fear into the populace.

I know people that voted leave purely on immigration. I also know people who voted leave believing that a trade deal with the EU was a mere formality. Some of those people have changed their minds - mainly due to the fact that the leavers who promised milk and honey are nowhere near the decision making process, and it is obvious we are now at a crossroads - no deal, or no brexit. I can't see any other alternatives. As for a trade deal with America - don't make me laugh. That is not going to be anywhere near as beneficial if it happens.

Farage is busy advising his mates to short the pound.

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post
    The quality of debate was shit, let's be fair. My position at the time was that my default position was to remain and it was up to the leavers to convince mt that leaving was going to improve on what we already had.

It's interesting that you view the remain campaign as being project fear. I thought the remain campaign focused too much on the negatives of leaving, and not the positives of staying. Some of Cameron's claims were fanciful, how that cretin ever made it to Tory leader is amazing, but then the Tories haven't had a good leader since John Major.

I saw the leave campaign as being equally about project fear. The millions of Albanians and Turks, the Europe army and all that jazz was equally about striking fear into the populace.

I know people that voted leave purely on immigration. I also know people who voted leave believing that a trade deal with the EU was a mere formality. Some of those people have changed their minds - mainly due to the fact that the leavers who promised milk and honey are nowhere near the decision making process, and it is obvious we are now at a crossroads - no deal, or no brexit. I can't see any other alternatives. As for a trade deal with America - don't make me laugh. That is not going to be anywhere near as beneficial if it happens.

Post of the week, I couldn’t agree more, it’s everything I’ve been thinking and agree with 👏👏

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Post of the week, I couldn’t agree more, it’s everything I’ve been thinking and agree with 👏👏
    Yep it’s a good post. Why so many working class people put their trust in millionaires like Farage and Grease-Mogg is beyond me. Are they really that stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Badly Ironed Shirt View Post

I think anyone who is arguing for the status quo in any membership referendum is on dodgy ground because they have nothing shiny and new to offer, but I agree that remain needed to be more positive, because some of their claims were ridiculous when it came to what a leave vote would mean.

I like to think of myself as reasonably intelligent, but, more than in any election I've voted in, I felt I didn't know enough about the subject of this hugely important vote and wanted to be "educated" by both sides - fat chance!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think anyone who is arguing for the status quo in any membership referendum is on dodgy ground because they have nothing shiny and new to offer, but I agree that remain needed to be more positive, because some of their claims were ridiculous when it came to what a leave vote would mean.

I like to think of myself as reasonably intelligent, but, more than in any election I've voted in, I felt I didn't know enough about the subject of this hugely important vote and wanted to be "educated" by both sides - fat chance!
    I agree with that completely. I had no idea what I was really voting for or against and so I needed the people that were advocating change to convince me that change was necessary. Instead, they indulged in their own project fear.

Farage.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post

That was awkward to watch. I still haven't seen anything close to a convincing reason in favour of this mess.

Rees-Mogg was batted into a corner by Krishnan Guru-Murthy (I think it was him) and said that the economic benefits for Brexit may not be apparent for 50 years.

50 years! We haven't even given the EU that long. Almost everyone who voted in 2016 will be dead or retired. No one makes economic predictions for 50 years in the future. It's infuriating, and I only hope the impending immediate disaster continues to seep into the public conscious, as I feel has been happening over the past couple of weeks.

We can still withdraw Article 50. A few months ago I felt that wasn't wise as the undercurrent of why so many people voted to leave will still be there, and people like Farage would stoke it up. But now I'm starting to think that at least that cohort won't be around for decades. It increasingly feels like the country has been held to ransom by Aron Banks and his crew.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That was awkward to watch. I still haven't seen anything close to a convincing reason in favour of this mess.

Rees-Mogg was batted into a corner by Krishnan Guru-Murthy (I think it was him) and said that the economic benefits for Brexit may not be apparent for 50 years.

50 years! We haven't even given the EU that long. Almost everyone who voted in 2016 will be dead or retired. No one makes economic predictions for 50 years in the future. It's infuriating, and I only hope the impending immediate disaster continues to seep into the public conscious, as I feel has been happening over the past couple of weeks.

We can still withdraw Article 50. A few months ago I felt that wasn't wise as the undercurrent of why so many people voted to leave will still be there, and people like Farage would stoke it up. But now I'm starting to think that at least that cohort won't be around for decades. It increasingly feels like the country has been held to ransom by Aron Banks and his crew.
    50 years! Rees-Mogg will feel the benefits overnight.