+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Labour's election manifesto leaked.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Labour's election manifesto leaked.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    That is fair enough, but:

-Increase paternity leave.
    -Increase pay on paternity leave.
    -Strengthen maternity leave.
    -Four new public holidays.
    -Every worker has a right to a union. + collective bargaining.
    -Stopping employers from employing only from overseas (but they don't come here to take our jobs, so what is the problem?)
    -Minimum wage raised to a tenner by 2020.
    -Increase main rate of corporation tax to 26%

will mainly not have an affect on big business. Or bringing money in from big business. It will hurt smaller companies.

They preach that they are there for smaller firms to grow and grow then they do this

Labour voters will see money coming away from business and their default response is well that must be good.

This one will be atrocious I believe:

-Every worker has a right to a union. + collective bargaining.
    All of those other measures you mentioned are also just bringing us more in line with Europe. Parental leave is great in places like Sweden and Germany, and last time I checked they have so far managed to avoid descending into a post apocalyptic anarchy.
    The Tories would like us all to believe that these things are unattainable, because they are mostly wealthy enough to have no need for them.

The Total Tax Contribution of the 100 Business Group was £82.3 billion, up from £80.5 billion in 2015. This includes both taxes borne of £23.7bn and taxes collected of £58.6bn, and represents 13.3% of total government receipts.

This is just 100 businesses ,best we dont attack dog then to badly as they provide jobs , revenues, pay staff ,who then purchase goods,better their lives , and pay more tax ,its an easy target , however without business and businessmen and investment within the private sector we would just be left with public non profitable public sector jobs.

Interestingly Corporation tax is the third largest tax , after employers’ NIC and business rates. The contribution from corporation tax has increased by 9.2% from the previous year, despite the rate has been at its lowest level since over the last 2 years ago .

I'm not saying we cant be smarter in gathering tax revenues , but simply saying money for this and that ,nationalise that , and we fund from taxing this area, not the answer its a bit short sighted , there are plenty of other areas of wastage going on that could be targeted , but are way too politically sensitive, as it effects core voters .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    The Total Tax Contribution of the 100 Business Group was £82.3 billion, up from £80.5 billion in 2015. This includes both taxes borne of £23.7bn and taxes collected of £58.6bn, and represents 13.3% of total government receipts.

This is just 100 businesses ,best we dont attack dog then to badly as they provide jobs , revenues, pay staff ,who then purchase goods,better their lives , and pay more tax ,its an easy target , however without business and businessmen and investment within the private sector we would just be left with public non profitable public sector jobs.

Interestingly Corporation tax is the third largest tax , after employers’ NIC and business rates. The contribution from corporation tax has increased by 9.2% from the previous year, despite the rate has been at its lowest level since over the last 2 years ago .

I'm not saying we cant be smarter in gathering tax revenues , but simply saying money for this and that ,nationalise that , and we fund from taxing this area, not the answer its a bit short sighted , there are plenty of other areas of wastage going on that could be targeted , but are way too politically sensitive, as it effects core voters .
    Whilst I understand what you are saying it feels dangerously close to 'lets ask the businesses what they would like to contribute'...

Railway nationalisation is actually an issue where right and left seem to meet around the back quite often. It doesn't make sense to pump public money into something that produces profit for private companies. Especially when you consider the levels of service and perception of most commuters that the cost of train tickets is absurdly high. I don't feel like we are getting a good deal as a country.

In terms of the cost, it is almost as though you haven't read it or even thought about it. There is absolutely no reason why nationalisation of the railways would cost a penny. Energy industry is a different kettle of fish but the approach in the manifesto appears to involve setting up publicly owned companies to effectively regulate the industry from within by providing competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Whilst I understand what you are saying it feels dangerously close to 'lets ask the businesses what they would like to contribute'...

Railway nationalisation is actually an issue where right and left seem to meet around the back quite often. It doesn't make sense to pump public money into something that produces profit for private companies. Especially when you consider the levels of service and perception of most commuters that the cost of train tickets is absurdly high. I don't feel like we are getting a good deal as a country.

In terms of the cost, it is almost as though you haven't read it or even thought about it. There is absolutely no reason why nationalisation of the railways would cost a penny. Energy industry is a different kettle of fish but the approach in the manifesto appears to involve setting up publicly owned companies to effectively regulate the industry from within by providing competition.
    I do agree rail effects so many lives, however that central control efficiency will it work ? does it bring with it old fashioned power struggles unions v government , it needs to be a protected service to the public as per policing, people should not be held to ransom . .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I do agree rail effects so many lives, however that central control efficiency will it work ? does it bring with it old fashioned power struggles unions v government , it needs to be a protected service to the public as per policing, people should not be held to ransom . .
    Keep it private , and get rid of Welsh Labour having any influence, it's become shambolic and i'm a regular user of the service, it needs regulation and controlling but, by a non political and non profit making entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    All of those other measures you mentioned are also just bringing us more in line with Europe. Parental leave is great in places like Sweden and Germany, and last time I checked they have so far managed to avoid descending into a post apocalyptic anarchy.
    The Tories would like us all to believe that these things are unattainable, because they are mostly wealthy enough to have no need for them.
    The quite small nation that is sweden are not really what we are looking.

It isn't a case of employers always squeezing employees. In my experience is very often the other way around.

If you think universal collective bargaining would be a good thing for workers then I hope you manage a workforce on a budget in the future.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 12-05-17 at 10:11.