+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Retro Chelsea kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Retro Chelsea kit

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
    There were no names on the backs of those chelsea shirts. I wonder if they got fined for that? Looked great
    Wouldn't it make more sense if players were given a two letter abbreviation of their name on the back of their shirts rather than a number, which is meaningless if you don't know who they are of if you don't have access to the line-up? If some players have the same initials as another player on the same team it's not beyond the wit of man to change one of the letters to something that is still meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense if players were given a two letter abbreviation of their name on the back of their shirts rather than a number, which is meaningless if you don't know who they are of if you don't have access to the line-up? If some players have the same initials as another player on the same team it's not beyond the wit of man to change one of the letters to something that is still meaningful.
    Initials would also be meaningless if you didn't know who they are

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Initials would also be meaningless if you didn't know who they are

My boys didn't believe me when I told them what the letters were around the hoarding of grounds from years ago, that let you decipher the HT scores.

They thought that I was making it up

CardiffCitySince1927

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    My boys didn't believe me when I told them what the letters were around the hoarding of grounds from years ago, that let you decipher the HT scores.

They thought that I was making it up
    Can you expand?

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
    Can you expand?
    Look in the programme.... the key would be there as in A. Arsenal v Liverpool.... B. Burnley v Nottingham Forest... C. Carlisle v Everton...... D. Coventry v Aston Villa etc etc. Around the pitch side wall would be the big letters and at half time the scores would be placed alongside them... A. 0-0....B. 1-2......C. 1-0 etc etc and that’s how we got the half time scores in another lifetime of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Look in the programme.... the key would be there as in A. Arsenal v Liverpool.... B. Burnley v Nottingham Forest... C. Carlisle v Everton...... D. Coventry v Aston Villa etc etc. Around the pitch side wall would be the big letters and at half time the scores would be placed alongside them... A. 0-0....B. 1-2......C. 1-0 etc etc and that’s how we got the half time scores in another lifetime of mine.
    That is right.

So a bit like deciphering Egyptian hieroglyphics and translating them into Esperanto.