Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
I may be wrong (memory not what it once was) but wasn't that in the Highway Code back in the 1960s or early 1970s. I have a vague recollection of seeing that type of lane speed limit in some official information (I think the Highway Code but could have been a public information film) when I was learning to drive - 40 years ago. It isn't what the code says now - but at the time there was a shared 'understanding' by police and drivers that 70 mph was the top speed allowed and that was only for overtaking.

If overtaking in the outside lane was supposed to be at no more than 70 mph then by definition drivers in the middle or inside lane should be going slower. Up to 50 mph for the inside lane, up to 60 mph for the middle and up to 70 mph for the outside lane - but that was at a time when many motorways were new and fairly empty and half the cars on the road would struggle to reach the speed limit going downhill with a following wind.

Then again, I could have imagined all of that.
you stick to the left unless you are overtaking and when you finish overtaking you move back to the left. that is it nothing else. how difficult is it???