+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: After listening to this again last night

After listening to this again last night

https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

2 things came to mind. What a tremendous and instantly recognisable voice Jeff Lynne has/had, and how good Prince was on guitar.

Re: After listening to this again last night

That was soooo good.

Wow .. sounds like classic Jeff Lynne track - Prince was incredible

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pontprennau Blues View Post
    Wow .. sounds like classic Jeff Lynne track - Prince was incredible
    Beatles song

Banned

ELO were one of the most Beatle sounding bands out there.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post
    ELO were one of the most Beatle sounding bands out there.
    Can't see that I'm afraid. I love both bands but they sound completely different, even though Jeff Lynne is a self-confessed Beatles fan.

If you want to hear a band who do sound like the Beatles (or at the very least McCartney) have a listen to Keeping the Dream Alive by Freiheit.

That video gets an airing every couple of months or so in my house, but, for me, it's only about one person - all dictionaries need to do when defining the word "genius" is put the word Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Can't see that I'm afraid. I love both bands but they sound completely different, even though Jeff Lynne is a self-confessed Beatles fan.

If you want to hear a band who do sound like the Beatles (or at the very least McCartney) have a listen to Keeping the Dream Alive by Freiheit.
    I'm no ELO expert, but I recall the first time I heard Mr Blue Sky, I thought it was a Beatles tribute. Never bothered to check out any of their other stuff. I probably know a few other tracks without realising it

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I'm no ELO expert, but I recall the first time I heard Mr Blue Sky, I thought it was a Beatles tribute. Never bothered to check out any of their other stuff. I probably know a few other tracks without realising it
    A Beatles tribute act playing a non-Beatles record ?!! Lockdown is taking its toll Eric 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    A Beatles tribute act playing a non-Beatles record ?!! Lockdown is taking its toll Eric ��
    You don't think Mr Blue Sky is a Beatles-sounding record. I do. I could provide a list of reasons if you are interested.

To repeat myself so you understand what I'm saying, the first time I heard it I thought it sounded like a Beatles song, obviously not performed by the Beatles, but close enough that it seems certain to have been influenced by a few Beatles tracks. Stylistically there are more than a few elements there of later Beatle material.

Banned

You don't think Mr Blue Sky is a Beatles-sounding record. I do. I could provide a list of reasons if you are interested.

To repeat myself so you understand what I'm saying, the first time I heard it I thought it sounded like a Beatles song, obviously not performed by the Beatles, but close enough that it seems certain to have been influenced by a few Beatles tracks. Stylistically there are more than a few elements there of later Beatle material.
    Here's another song that sounds nothing like The Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

2 things came to mind. What a tremendous and instantly recognisable voice Jeff Lynne has/had, and how good Prince was on guitar.
    Prince was a staggering guitarist , like Hendrix on speed

His soloing was amazing , his live version of sister is amazing

Calm down Eric my boy ! I understand your point, I was just being facetious.

Whilst I respect your opinion, I honestly do not believe the two bands sound remotely alike other than perhaps Jeff Lynn's vocal delivery occasionally mimics that of Lennon, an indication that he was influenced by the Beatles as you say. Not the same sounding voice but just in the way he sings.

Also, Louis Clark's orchestrations are totally different from that you would find on any Beatles recording.

I've seen ELO2 (The Orchestra) about a dozen times live and McCartney three times and there is no way in my opinion the two bands could ever be mistaken for one another.

As I said in an earlier post, if you want to hear a band that really does sound like the Beatles/McCartney (other than a tribute act) have a listen to Keeping the Dream Alive by Freiheit. It could have been written by Paul himself.

Reading your post again, I accept that stylistically there are elements of Beatles music in ELO's records but on a basic level, I could never confuse the two.