+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Liverpool v Arsenal

Liverpool v Arsenal

Although it was 31 years ago I found it still exciting.
    Good end to a football league season.
    Also I like seeing the cameras by the dugouts you don't get those views much there days

Re: Liverpool v Arsenal

Watched it today as well. What a good defence Arsenal had then. George Graham was very calm and dignified at the final whistle.
    Seeing the fans especially the away fans all standing, what an atmosphere.
    Alas, a few weeks later the Hillsborough disaster happened, and that was standing kyboshed.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Watched it today as well. What a good defence Arsenal had then. George Graham was very calm and dignified at the final whistle.
    Alas, a few weeks later the Hillsborough disaster happened, and that was standing kyboshed.
    I remember watching it live on TV all those years ago too, fantastic game and atmosphere. I thought the Hillsborough disaster happened before this game, which I thought was delayed ?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    This game was after the FA Cup Final, which Liverpool won, the disaster was weeks before during the semi final. The players had black armbands on in the Liverpool/Arsenal game,

Are you talking about the last game of the 1989 season? I remember it was on a Friday night and live on TV. Which was quite unusual in those days. What a finale. Liverpool were denied the double in back-to-back seasons having won it in 1986. Also pretty unusal for the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Are you talking about the last game of the 1989 season? I remember it was on a Friday night and live on TV. Which was quite unusual in those days. What a finale. Liverpool were denied the double in back-to-back seasons having won it in 1986. Also pretty unusal for the time.
    Yup, it was a Friday night.
    Brilliant finale!

It was right in the middle of my university finals exams, so didn't give it my full attention which is a shame
    The fa cup final vs Everton was the week before, with the league being delayed a few weeks because of Hillsborough.
    Mad to think that Liverpool won the league the following season and haven't won it since.

89 - The incredible story of one of football's greatest triumphs: when, against all odds, Arsenal snatched the Championship title from Liverpool at Anfield in the last minute of the 1988-89 season, defying the odds and making history.

Got it on my to watch list on the IPTV

I was 11 when this game was on. I was quite late getting into football, by this stage I'd been interested in it in, maybe, a year. My parents were never interested in the game. My junior school playground was Liverpool or Man Utd, or hated Liverpool. I knew nothing about the history of football, other than Liverpool seemed to win just about everything at the time. I had an uncle who supported Liverpool and Cardiff and I'd enjoy taking the piss out of him if Liverpool lost, but I generally didn't care. I think Everton beat them one season after Liverpool had gone a million games unbeaten from the start and would have had the record. I have never looked at when that was to this day.

Anyway, I just didn't want Liverpool to win the league and have the second double. Those last seconds when Thomas scored were incredible to me at the time.

I suppose that game really kickstarted my interest in football. The first game I saw live was Swansea losing at home to Wolves. A family friend took me and I spent most of the time celebrating to wind this guy up every time Wolves scored. They scored 5. I was never taken back.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    89 - The incredible story of one of football's greatest triumphs: when, against all odds, Arsenal snatched the Championship title from Liverpool at Anfield in the last minute of the 1988-89 season, defying the odds and making history.

Got it on my to watch list on the IPTV
    Remember watching the match in my Mum's front room in Cowbridge.

Bought 89 for my son, who is a gooner. It's a good watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    Remember watching the match in my Mum's front room in Cowbridge.

Bought 89 for my son, who is a gooner. It's a good watch.
    I've had my "documentary binge day" so probably won't for a few days.

Last Breath was the last one I watched 😳

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    This game was after the FA Cup Final, which Liverpool won, the disaster was weeks before during the semi final. The players had black armbands on in the Liverpool/Arsenal game,
    Yes. I was getting confused. Seemed a great atmosphere considering what had happened only a month before.

I remember watching it live. A great game, and one of the few non Cardiff games I found exciting.

I was in Canada on a football tour at the time, we were sunbathing on a sunny Friday afternoon when we heard the final score after someone had phoned home. How the world has changed, no instant news, no worldwide tv coverage, no doubt nowadays we’d have all been watching it in a crowded Yonge St bar.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I was in Canada on a football tour at the time, we were sunbathing on a sunny Friday afternoon when we heard the final score after someone had phoned home. How the world has changed, no instant news, no worldwide tv coverage, no doubt nowadays we’d have all been watching it in a crowded Yonge St bar.
    I remember when I first moved to the US (1992-93 season) there was no football coverage and no internet. I had to buy a shortwave radio (which was quite expensive as I recall) to listen to the BBC World Service. The only time I'd ever hear City mentioned was during the classified results. If I missed it, I'd be able to buy a British Sunday paper the following Tuesday and I wouldn't know any of the scores until then.

We were on a Ferris coach on our way to Benidorm, although we had yet to reach Dover. Someone had the radio on and I was willing Arsenal to beat Liverpool and was well pleased when they scored their late winner. Inevitably there were some Liverpool fans on the coach and they were gutted.

Seeing the game on TV the other night, exciting though the finale was, I couldn't help but think how poor in general the quality of football was. I know it's unfair to compare any sport from different eras but the game then and now is like chalk and cheese. Even mid table Prem sides now are far superior to top of the table sides from that era.