+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So have we sold out of season tickets then ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: So have we sold out of season tickets then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cozoni Wam View Post
    I wasnt alive back then so I am in no position to judge. However, since grounds back then were mostly full of terracing I imagine you could probably get away with attendances of 20,000 in a 40,000 capacity stadium (people would just spread out more to fill the spaces).

20,000 in a 40,000 SEATER stadium looks freaking awful.
    20000 if only 3 to 6000 rattling around in a 40000 capacity, it didn't matter how you spread yourself about the atmosphere in the main was shit.
    But people block a lot of that out and say against modern football.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    20000 if only 3 to 6000 rattling around in a 40000 capacity, it didn't matter how you spread yourself about the atmosphere in the main was shit.
    But people block a lot of that out and say against modern football.
    Yes, according to this page (http://european-football-statistics....nclub/carc.htm) our attendances during that period were absolutely pitiful but we weren't alone in that respect to be fair. English football in general was in a pretty shitty place back then, with all but the biggest clubs struggling to attract much more than 15k fans. Thankfully things improved with the advent of all seater stadia.

Also, because they were packed in like sardines in the past, stadiums didn't even have to be that big to house tens of thousands of people. I think Ninian Park held over 60,000 at one point didn't it? So maybe you didn't need so many people in the ground to create a good atmosphere. Today's stadiums by contrast are massive, even modest sized ones like ourselves so it has never been more important to fill your stadium as nothing kills an atmosphere quicker than a sea of empty seats. Thats what we need to do now.

Hang on a minute I'm talking as if I have never seen a match at Ninian Park! I started supporting City when they played at Ninian Park and I know for a fact that even with only 13k inside the terraces would 'look' pretty much full, so much so that when the attendance was read over the tannoy you'd struggle to believe how it was possible to squeeze another 3k inside there, let alone another 30k!

So you cant compare it with the CCS as a crowd of 13000 there looks like.......well a crowd of 13000 actually.