+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: City v Newcastle - a yardstick

City v Newcastle - a yardstick

When we played Newcastle at home, I thought they would be a yardstick as to how much we had improved since the last time we played them - when they seemed so much bigger, stronger and effective than City. That we managed a draw - and looked on a par to them spoke volumes (I'll leave those to TOBW).

So now we've found our feet in the PL; Newcastle haven't made much if any progress and seem determined not to win at home - I think we'll get a draw at the very least on Saturday.

Re: City v Newcastle - a yardstick

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    When we played Newcastle at home, I thought they would be a yardstick as to how much we had improved since the last time we played them - when they seemed so much bigger, stronger and effective than City. That we managed a draw - and looked on a par to them spoke volumes (I'll leave those to TOBW).

So now we've found our feet in the PL; Newcastle haven't made much if any progress and seem determined not to win at home - I think we'll get a draw at the very least on Saturday.
    I watched the play Man U on the TV over Christmas. Until ManU scored they were lined up, strtuctured well and disciplined. We seem to lack structure and decent tactics therfore I suggest we'll be undone by Raffa

Quote Originally Posted by Porth Pouncer View Post
    I watched the play Man U on the TV over Christmas. Until ManU scored they were lined up, strtuctured well and disciplined. We seem to lack structure and decent tactics therfore I suggest we'll be undone by Raffa
    Organised chaos to bamboozle the Geordies

Quote Originally Posted by Porth Pouncer View Post
    I'd agree. I think they remain quite a bit better than us and we'll be on the end of a comfortable defeat unless luck falls our way.

Last time Newcastle played to our Strengths. It was a championship battle. If they keep the ball to the ground and keep it moving I don’t think we stand much of a chance. But anything can happen, as shown against Leicester.

Newcastle are capable of far more than they have shown so far but City have probably played to the maximum of their ability in most games this season. And taking into account the fact that we seem to have played most of the lower placed teams at home already it is likely that they will pull away from us in the coming weeks.

Newcastle are playing their home matches this season in what must be a terrible environment to perform in. Having 50,000 supporting you is great when you're winning, but there has been an atmosphere of failure around the club for years - they last won a trophy in 1969 and that is shocking for a club of their size. Throw in the frustrations they have with the owner and the worst home record in all four divisions and any side going there this season should do so with confidence that they can get something from the game.
    Newcastle are more talented than us, but, almost certainly, you can say that about every team we play in the league this season - even Fulham managed a 0-0 there before Christmas.