+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is Paul Merson Right?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Is Paul Merson Right?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Like I said, they don't have to gamble on football.
    You have no idea, and you are ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton
    Like I said, they don't have to gamble on football.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dembe View Post
    Not being funny but that was my thought too. I completely understand that it's a gambling addiction but is it specifically to football? I've seen interviews with players talking about betting on dogs, Basketball, anything.

Genuinely curious if the compulsion would be around a particular sport.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Not being funny but that was my thought too. I completely understand that it's a gambling addiction but is it specifically to football? I've seen interviews with players talking about betting on dogs, Basketball, anything.

Genuinely curious if the compulsion would be around a particular sport.
    You'd have to assume any of the players gambling on football would also be gambling on other sports. I don't think banning them helps, and it also doesn't address the issue.

My personal opinion is it's just a compulsion to gamble and isn't specific just to one sport. Also, how does a Newcastle player betting on, say, league two and German football even become an issue? Betting on the any competition they are directly involved in could be a conflict agreed..

You'd have to assume any of the players gambling on football would also be gambling on other sports. I don't think banning them helps, and it also doesn't address the issue.

My personal opinion is it's just a compulsion to gamble and isn't specific just to one sport. Also, how does a Newcastle player betting on, say, league two and German football even become an issue? Betting on the any competition they are directly involved in could be a conflict agreed..

I think the rules have got stricter and stricter. Not so long ago players were free to bet on other games.

I used to work next door to a bookies in Cardiff about 15 years ago and would put a few quid on the dogs at lunchtime once or twice a week. I regularly saw loads of city players in there betting hundreds and thousands. I don't know if things have changed but it seemed be be almost an embedded cultural behaviour in footballers. The amount of spare time they get can't help either I guess