+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Orlando/Miami

Orlando/Miami

Dear font of all knowledge.

4 middle aged blokes going to the Daytona 500 race in February. We have 1 maybe 2 days to spare prior to the race weekend in Orlando area. Any suggestions what 4 we can do in Orlando/central FL area that does not include a theme park?

There doesn't seem to be any NFL or MSL on in Feb, and there baseball fixtures aren't published yet.

Toying with the idea of flying into Miami, driving up to Orlando to kill the extra day. Anyone done that? Any good?

Cheers

Re: Orlando/Miami

There will be NHL and NBA games in February. You could fly into Tampa - they’ve done amazing job on that city in the last 5 years - there’s tons to do. If the Tampa Bay Lightning are at home I’d go there - it’s a great arena. It’s also spring training for the MLB teams and the Yankees stadium is right opposite the Tampa Buccaneers NFL stadium. You can also get out into the Gulf of Mexico on a ‘big’ fishing trip - they catch some incredible fish. It’s a 2 hour drive to Orlando, and if you’re there for a night you might drop lucky and get an Orlando Magic NBA game - although they’re not a very exciting franchise currently. You can do Miami but that’ll be a pocket emptier for you and I’ve always found it a little too pretentious and never felt comfortable there.

PS - I’d avoid Orlando. Outside of the theme parks (which are still good fun) I’d avoid it unless you did Epcot where you can have a good boys trip drinking your way around the world

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    There will be NHL and NBA games in February. You could fly into Tampa - they’ve done amazing job on that city in the last 5 years - there’s tons to do. If the Tampa Bay Lightning are at home I’d go there - it’s a great arena. It’s also spring training for the MLB teams and the Yankees stadium is right opposite the Tampa Buccaneers NFL stadium. You can also get out into the Gulf of Mexico on a ‘big’ fishing trip - they catch some incredible fish. It’s a 2 hour drive to Orlando, and if you’re there for a night you might drop lucky and get an Orlando Magic NBA game - although they’re not a very exciting franchise currently. You can do Miami but that’ll be a pocket emptier for you and I’ve always found it a little too pretentious and never felt comfortable there.
    Thanks Canton. Sounds like a good plan.

There should be more than enough ladies of the night for you.

You could go to NASA not far from Daytona or instead of wasting 5 hours driving from Miami to Orlando in blistering heat go to a water park. You could even spend the day on the beach at Daytona; loads of bars, wet T shirt competitions on weekends etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    You could go to NASA not far from Daytona or instead of wasting 5 hours driving from Miami to Orlando in blistering heat go to a water park. You could even spend the day on the beach at Daytona; loads of bars, wet T shirt competitions on weekends etc.
    The boys would have to buy T shirts then though🤪

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The boys would have to buy T shirts then though��
    Wet beer belly competitions in our case!

this should be in a foreign language section

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    Dear font of all knowledge.

4 middle aged blokes going to the Daytona 500 race in February. We have 1 maybe 2 days to spare prior to the race weekend in Orlando area. Any suggestions what 4 we can do in Orlando/central FL area that does not include a theme park?

There doesn't seem to be any NFL or MSL on in Feb, and there baseball fixtures aren't published yet.

Toying with the idea of flying into Miami, driving up to Orlando to kill the extra day. Anyone done that? Any good?

Cheers
    There is more to Orlando than theme parks. If you chose to go there i recommend International Drive. Some good bars and restaurants. I recommend Howl at the Moon for a great night out. Other than that you could look at Jcksonville / St Augustine Area. Close to Daytona - Jacksonville is a proper city with all that a proper city offers!

Wet beer belly competitions in our case!
    That’s the spirit, don’t let us down 🍺🍺🍺🍺🤪🤪🤪

When we were in Miami last summer we did a boat trip along the Everglades and saw numerous alligators en route.Really enjoyed it.

Thanks for all replies guys, even the "ladies of the night" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    When we were in Miami last summer we did a boat trip along the Everglades and saw numerous alligators en route.Really enjoyed it.
    Bit of a trek from central Florida though. I concur with the Tampa Bay suggestion. Party town. For something a bit more sober, the Kennedy space center is worth a visit, especially if there is a launch when you are there. When I was a kid I saw a shuttle go up-was pretty amazing.

A word of warning, as i have been, its rammed, you just cannot get around easy, the traffic can be horrendous

KSC is a good full day, add the the NASA HoF which is included in your ticket and just down the road from KSC

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    A word of warning, as i have been, its rammed, you just cannot get around easy, the traffic can be horrendous
    The 500 you mean?

Straight to Daygona and Daytona Beach.

The 500 you mean?
    yes, the whole area grinds to a halt, the I4 and the 92 can grind to a halt for hours, many families will head to disney and the blokes head of to Daytona for the racing ( the racing itself is spread over the week before , with the 500 on the sunday )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    yes, the whole area grinds to a halt, the I4 and the 92 can grind to a halt for hours, many families will head to disney and the blokes head of to Daytona for the racing ( the racing itself is spread over the week before , with the 500 on the sunday )
    Thanks Matt. I'll keep that in mind.

Me and my missus got married out in the Florida Keys about 15 Years ago. On the morning of the wedding my sister rang me from Orlando to say she wasn't coming down to the wedding, as the space shuttle was taking off from Kennedy Space Centre. She said she'd seen me get married before but had never seen the space shuttle take off!!!

s

It’s also spring training for the MLB teams and the Yankees stadium is right opposite the Tampa Buccaneers NFL stadium.
    My knowledge of U.S. sports isn’t great but I’m sure the Yankee stadium is a few states away from Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    My knowledge of U.S. sports isn’t great but I’m sure the Yankee stadium is a few states away from Florida.
    You’re right. Your knowledge isn’t great 😂. All baseball teams have second stadiums for ‘spring training’ which runs thru Feb and March. There are 15 teams who use Florida as a base and they play games against each other in something called the ‘Grapefruit League’. Smaller stadiums. Great place to watch baseball in the sun with multiple beers flowing.... oh and yes the Yankees Spring Training stadium is in Tampa.
    https://floridarentalbyowners.com/bl...tions-florida/

You’re right. Your knowledge isn’t great ��. All baseball teams have second stadiums for ‘spring training’ which runs thru Feb and March. There are 15 teams who use Florida as a base and they play games against each other in something called the ‘Grapefruit League’. Smaller stadiums. Great place to watch baseball in the sun with multiple beers flowing.... oh and yes the Yankees Spring Training stadium is in Tampa.
    cheap to get in aswell

You’re right. Your knowledge isn’t great ��. All baseball teams have second stadiums for ‘spring training’ which runs thru Feb and March. There are 15 teams who use Florida as a base and they play games against each other in something called the ‘Grapefruit League’. Smaller stadiums. Great place to watch baseball in the sun with multiple beers flowing.... oh and yes the Yankees Spring Training stadium is in Tampa.
    Thank you, I didn't know that. Makes sense really.