+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting Rabbi Matondo interview

Re: Interesting Rabbi Matondo interview

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    So he claims - hardly likely to say "well, we went to Man City for the money" is he? Prem teams can seemingly raid non Cat 1 academies at will with minimal compensation. Hell, Liverpool even tapped up Stoke academy players, hence their ban on signing players from academies for 2 years.
    I was under that impression as well, but the article suggests that Cardiff had been able to say No to a number of Prem teams. Not passing judgement either way but I was surprised by what the MEN had to say about the move.

Anyway, he's with Man City now but let's hope he stays with Wales if he's as good as he appears to be. We can have him back at Cardiff once we get promoted and he can't get into the Man City team...

I wonder if they'll ever introduce a rule stipulating that players under 18 can't move clubs? That might help with some players' development, especially if they're playing for a lower league team before being snapped up by a PL club and then rotting in the reserves.
    There are many cases of players from League 1 or League 2 clubs signed by PL clubs and not making any first team appearances for 5 or 6 years. That can't be good for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Blue View Post
    I wonder if they'll ever introduce a rule stipulating that players under 18 can't move clubs? That might help with some players' development, especially if they're playing for a lower league team before being snapped up by a PL club and then rotting in the reserves.
    There are many cases of players from League 1 or League 2 clubs signed by PL clubs and not making any first team appearances for 5 or 6 years. That can't be good for anyone.
    I think it would be just as bad. The big clubs will only snap up the talent younger and they're more likely to rot amongst squads of 500 other kids.

Id limit sizes of academy/youth squad etc. Ridiculous that Chelsea can loan out 40 odd players.

Is that Prince William celebrating with him in the last photo

Wonder if he'd still be playing for the Under 18s if he was still here? There's plenty who say he'll never play first team football at Man City, but would he have done so at Cardiff - we've been hopeless at handling the transition from promising youngster to first team footballer in the last five years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Wonder if he'd still be playing for the Under 18s if he was still here? There's plenty who say he'll never play first team football at Man City, but would he have done so at Cardiff - we've been hopeless at handling the transition from promising youngster to first team footballer in the last five years or so.
    I didn't see Matondo here but I'd have thought he was one youngster who had a real chance of progressing towards the first team. He's got pace and sounds like the kind of wide man that Warnock is looking to use. No real competition for that kind of player in the under-23s with them having a lack of pace presently so I'm sure he'd have had ample opportunity to show what he can do at that level. If Warnock had been here at the time, I wonder if things would've turned out differently? Probably not, but he's got the gift of the gab if nothing else and he may have been able to convince Rabbi of a future here, short term at least.

I know you've got concerns about the way Sion Spence is being handled, I'm not saying you're wrong but I don't know enough about that situation to pass judgement yet. On the whole I'm more optimistic about the pathway from youth to first team than I was when Slade was here. I'm certainly not claiming Warnock is perfect but the way he sets up means that every kind of player can feel they have a chance of making it here, if they're good enough of course.