+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: John Humphries

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: John Humphries

Quote Originally Posted by IanD View Post
    Roath was the postal address (and sounded posher). Adamsdown on the map. My family lived in Arthur Street for about 100 yrs.
    That's the one that had the shop on the corner of Pearl Street.

Did you know the tall lad who lived on the corner of the next street towards Beresford road. Can't remember his name, but we used to call him Torres (Eusabio's team-mate)

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    That's the one that had the shop on the corner of Pearl Street.

Did you know the tall lad who lived on the corner of the next street towards Beresford road. Can't remember his name, but we used to call him Torres (Eusabio's team-mate)
    Two shops in fact, one either side of the junction of Pearl Street and Arthur Street. I never lived in Arthur Street, only visited in the 60's to early 90's when my nan died. My great grandfather moved to Arthur Street some time in the 1890s, from Devon, possibly via Reading, working in the biscuit factory that later became Leos. Consequently I didn't get to know too many people down that way. There were some right characters though. Some rough diamonds but a real sense of community.
    Was it your family that had a fruit n veg shop in Splott?

Two shops in fact, one either side of the junction of Pearl Street and Arthur Street. I never lived in Arthur Street, only visited in the 60's to early 90's when my nan died. My great grandfather moved to Arthur Street some time in the 1890s, from Devon, possibly via Reading, working in the biscuit factory that later became Leos. Consequently I didn't get to know too many people down that way. There were some right characters though. Some rough diamonds but a real sense of community.
    Was it your family that had a fruit n veg shop in Splott?

Na, me old man was a baker in Merrets (spelling) on Newport Road.

Loved the old biscuit factory, foreman used to get us bags of broken biscuits

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Na, me old man was a baker in Merrets (spelling) on Newport Road.

Loved the old biscuit factory, foreman used to get us bags of broken biscuits
    Small world. My great grandfather was the Master Baker at the biscuit factory and family on my mum's side grew up on broken biscuits from the factory. There seemed to be a lot of broken biscuits��. I used to work at Merretts on Maes yr Coed Road in the summer holidays where my mum worked in accounts. Jimmy Norris used to work there too. Quiet bloke who never spoke about what he did during the war.

Small world. My great grandfather was the Master Baker at the biscuit factory and family on my mum's side grew up on broken biscuits from the factory. There seemed to be a lot of broken biscuits��. I used to work at Merretts on Maes yr Coed Road in the summer holidays where my mum worked in accounts. Jimmy Norris used to work there too. Quiet bloke who never spoke about what he did during the war.

Didn't wanna use the "MASTER" bit, as Steve R wooda been on it in a flash (masterbaker)