Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Surely it doesn't matter who the better or more successful player was?

This piece

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...spite-14154068

gives the definite impression that Bellamy came over really well at his interview and that the decision to appoint Giggs was based on his achievements as a player. I appreciate that it is hard for any young managerial wannabe to build a reputation for themselves when they have had very little chance to do so (I disregard those four matches Giggs took charge of in 13/14 at Man United because they prove nothing either way), but the members of the Class of 92 and the players Ferguson signed around that time (e.g. Paul Ince) have not enjoyed much managerial success between them when they have had a go at the job, so all that playing success did little to make them managerial successes. Off the top of my head, I can think of Mark Hughes and Steve Bruce who have made decent managerial careers from Man United sides managed by Alex Ferguson, but they were of an older generation to Giggs - he might turn out to be a good manager of Wales, but I must say that when I hear Bellamy and Giggs talk about the game, I know which one I would be more inclined to choose if I were hiring a manager.

Fergie players who became decent managers - I'd like to add Gordon Strachan to the list. Mark Robins is also doing a decent enough job in the lower leagues.