+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi boosters

Wifi boosters

Anyone have any recommendations for a good wi-fi booster?

76 Mb/s when I am plugged directly to modem, 45/50 Mbps when in same room as modem, 25 Mbps in living room.

Re: Wifi boosters

maybe an upgrade to your router? i was having problems with mine until i upgraded to the latest BT Home hub.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCPhil View Post

76 Mb/s when I am plugged directly to modem, 45/50 Mbps when in same room as modem, 25 Mbps in living room.
    Wifi boosters wont help.
    They present a stronger 'signal' further away, but at half the bandwidth. That is intrinsic to how they work.
    Opposite of what you want.

PowerLine adapter(s) - with or without a wifi extender - might be a better bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Wifi boosters wont help.
    They present a stronger 'signal' further away, but at half the bandwidth. That is how they work.
    Opposite of what you want.

PowerLine adapter(s) - with or without a wifi extender - might be a better bet.
    That's what I was looking for, I think. Have you had any experience with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    maybe an upgrade to your router? i was having problems with mine until i upgraded to the latest BT Home hub.
    It's a new router. BT sent me 3 of the things (owing to their cockup), and I get the same results with all of them.

That's what I was looking for, I think. Have you had any experience with them?
    Aye, typing this upstairs connected through a Powerline adapter now.
    Just a couple of Mbps less than directly into the router downstairs.

Wifi is decent here upstairs too, but has nowhere near as good a throughput as the powerline adapter.

The Wife's parents asked me to set up a wifi booster for them last year ('signal' was poor in their garden) , and I tested it here first too - out of curiosity.
    Good signal, but vastly reduced bandwidth.

Reason being - the wifi booster has to engage in a round-trip dialogue with the router, and also a round trip dialogue with the conected device - at the same time. Thus, big loss in throughput is inevitable. Unless technology has rapidly changed since I last looked ;)
    Last edited by Vimana.; 12-05-17 at 19:09. Reason: spellign ;)

Sky Q could also help.

Blog Entries

How can you improve your upload speed? mine is a crappy 1.47 Mb/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    How can you improve your upload speed? mine is a crappy 1.47 Mb/s.

Are you still on an older service/product?
    If so, a much faster offering wont cost much more now - if anything.
    If you already upgraded- that's dreadful! - Complain!

I got BT powerline adaptors. Very good. Also the new Bt hub arrived last week and Im getting 65mbs wifi upstairs with 18mbs upload.
    I only get 78mbs when connected by cable direct to hub. Im in an old house thick walls too

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Are you still on an older service/product?
    If so, a much faster offering wont cost much more now - if anything.
    If you already upgraded- that's dreadful! - Complain!
    Sky broadband, quite a newish router, not sure what speed it's meant to be tbh.

There's a lot to be said for living in an old mill town! I can't knock Virgin round here. I am on a 150Meg line and get these results. I have the main router and a separate one as a bridge router so get full wi-fi round the house. I did hard-wire the two routers though so that means no matter which one I connect to I get full download.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6292992569

bought countless version and finally decided on getting a good one , I'm sure a CCMB member recommended ,paid a bit extra for it at £70 bucks but this is the best I've had , have a look at the reviews

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    There's a lot to be said for living in an old mill town! I can't knock Virgin round here. I am on a 150Meg line and get these results. I have the main router and a separate one as a bridge router so get full wi-fi round the house. I did hard-wire the two routers though so that means no matter which one I connect to I get full download.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6292992569
    We used to have virgin and it was ok, can't remember why we got rid of it tbh, my son is always on xbox live so I can't do live radio shows like I used to as I just get cut off.

Are you having any issues streaming etc? Despite the degregation the further from the router those speeds are still pretty good and ample for most requirements. If you've no issues then don't worry.

fitted a couple of these bad boys last week. cracking bit of kit.

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/produ...i-uap-ac-lite/

disable wifi on your home router, connect this via ethernet and power and it booms out a much more powerful wifi.

it also comes pre set

I had coverage issues in the furthest parts of the the house and used these for a few years with success:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-B...=tp+link+av500

used that with these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-C...=tp+link+av500

how far are you away from the exchange ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I had coverage issues in the furthest parts of the the house and used these for a few years with success:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-B...=tp+link+av500

used that with these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-C...=tp+link+av500
    I think this is the thing I need.

My router is upstairs in a study. I have no phone connectors downstairs.

So, I should buy a 1 port and plug an ethernet cable from my router to the device that is plugged into a power socket?

I could also have a 2-port that I then plug in downstairs that I then connect directly to my TV and PS4?

Just some more questions.

1) For devices that are not plugged in directly to the powerline adapter, will their wifi signal be boosted downstairs because of this device?
    2) What improvement on speeds did you experience? Were you getting similar connection speeds for devices plugged into the adapter that were sat far from the router?

Thank-you

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    fitted a couple of these bad boys last week. cracking bit of kit.

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/produ...i-uap-ac-lite/

disable wifi on your home router, connect this via ethernet and power and it booms out a much more powerful wifi.

it also comes pre set
    This looks like a possibility, but I prefer the one from Colonol Gadaffi.

What were the improvements to wi-fi speed using this? My concern is the device would still be at the opposite end of the house, through some thick walls, from the room where all our devices are.

I know I could move the router, but we are possibly moving soon and I don't fancy getting the phone line moved just for a few months.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    how far are you away from the exchange ? ? ?
    On the same road apparently.

This looks like a possibility, but I prefer the one from Colonol Gadaffi.

What were the improvements to wi-fi speed using this? My concern is the device would still be at the opposite end of the house, through some thick walls, from the room where all our devices are.

I know I could move the router, but we are possibly moving soon and I don't fancy getting the phone line moved just for a few months.
    Ultimately you are not going to boost speed. Your speed is what it is when it leaves the router, these devices aim to maximise coverage. But the ones I linked also delivered wifi as near as possible to the speed of the internet coming from the router.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Ultimately you are not going to boost speed. Your speed is what it is when it leaves the router, these devices aim to maximise coverage. But the ones I linked also delivered wifi as near as possible to the speed of the internet coming from the router.
    I have a degradation of signal because the router is upstairs on one side of the house, and the TV/PS4 are downstairs on the opposite side.

Plugged into my Router atm - 53 Mbps.
    On wifi and sat next to router - 20Mbps
    Downstairs - 15 Mbps

Netflix UHD requires 25 Mbps download speeds. I sometimes get it, I sometimes don't. Just wondering if these devices will get me the speeds I need.

That seems like hell of a drop just using wifi next to the router 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    That seems like hell of a drop just using wifi next to the router ��
    I'm using this site to test

http://beta.speedtest.net/run

Currently down to 10 Mbps in the front room away from the router. Nothing else is on.

This site is recording 22 Mbps

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co....Build=20170503
    Last edited by CCFCPhil; 13-05-17 at 20:25.