+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Film 17

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Film 17

Spoilers

Alien Covenant

I don't mind deep films that make you think but this went too far. It begins with a discussion on humans finding their creator and the fact humans are the gods of machines. I was looking for closure on the big question involved and of course that isn't possible.

I thought before going to watch this it'd be back to just entertainment, guns and aliens. "Aliens" covenant - Got to be like the old Aliens surely?. Turns out this is Prometheus no.2. Some are going to be massively unimpressed with this.

It ambles along, I looked at my watch at it was close to finishing. A few shocks but no real scares. Then they cram in some Alien action near the end. It felt forced.

I think Mark Kermode sums it up perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b79aw9dZLfE

It is worth watching but just don't get your hopes up.

Surely in the next one it'll be back to being after Alien 1. Because in Covenant you discover how the first Alien is created.

Hopefully...
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 15-05-17 at 08:13.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Spoilers

Alien Covenant

I don't mind deep films that make you think but this went too far. It begins with a discussion on humans finding their creator and the fact humans are the gods of machines. I was looking for closure on the big question involved and of course that isn't possible.

I thought before going to watch this it'd be back to just entertainment, guns and aliens. "Aliens" covenant - Got to be like the old Aliens surely?. Turns out this is Prometheus no.2. Some are going to be massively unimpressed with this.

It ambles along, I looked at my watch at it was close to finishing. A few shocks but no real scares. Then they cram in some Alien action near the end. It felt forced.

I think Mark Kermode sums it up perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b79aw9dZLfE

It is worth watching but just don't get your hopes up.

Surely in the next one it'll be back to being after Alien 1. Because in Covenant you discover how the first Alien is created.

Hopefully...
    Was a good story in it but executed poorly , hated how the aliens were CGI ,looked better in the originals

Watched Birdman on Netflix last night. I thought it overly American to start with and didn't want to like it but the film won me over. It was funny, a bit daft but heartwarming. I really enjoyed it

Last night I watched a film from 2008 call "A raisin in the sun."
    It's about a black family in America during the 1950s. I wouldn't say its a classic, but well worth a watch. 8-10

Just watched Tom Hanks new film "The Circle". In the same vein as Black Mirror but nowhere near as good. Not his best film by some way, 6.5/10 at best

I've been mostly seeing summer blockbusters with the kids.

Wonder Woman was excellent.
    Pirates, utter shite really boring.
    King Arthur, bloody ridiculous but a lot more fun than most reviews made out.
    The Mummy, not a good start for the Dark Universe, would have been better without Tom Cruise being peak Tom Cruise.
    Belko Experiment, not with the kids, good gory fun.

Instant classic I think.

Kind of like a musical but with a different spin on it.

The main guy listens to his ipod to drown out tinnitus. So the film is continually set to whatever music he listens to.

And most of it is great.

John Hamm is hilarious.