+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nice little jolly for BBC Wales in France

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Nice little jolly for BBC Wales in France

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    In the past coverage of Welsh football from the BBC has been rubbish. They preferred to spend the money on the rugger. We’ve had the likes of Ian Gwyn Hughes commentating and Oliver Hides and Barry Horne talking crap in a badly lit studio in Llandaff. I thought the presentation of the game last night was much better than in the past.
    It was way overkill for a friendly

Re: Nice little jolly for BBC Wales in France

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    It was way overkill for a friendly
    Probably. However, I have one chain of thought. There appears to be a slight change of sporting wind within BBC Wales, maybe possibly with the FAW as well. Maybe there's a realisation that Welsh qualifiers need to be on free-to-air TV and not just in the medium of Welsh. The Welsh team are better supported when everyone can see a game. Next time the rights to Welsh qualifiers are up for grabs the BBC can demonstrate how their coverage would be better - a dress rehearsal in front of an audience as it were.

Of course the opposite side of the coin is that BBC Wales have no chance (or intention) of committing to a Welsh qualification campaign and last night was a jolly just because they rarely get the opportunity. By the same token, Radio Wales tend to have a large contingent for coverage of Welsh games. Personally, I'd rather that than one man and his dog in a studio miles away providing the poor coverage I believe Sky give us.