+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thousands of drivers caught speeding a week after camera activated on main Cardiff road

International

Re: Thousands of drivers caught speeding a week after camera activated on main Cardiff road

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What if they just used that money in the NHS full stop?
    Exactly it would save far more lives.

Re: Thousands of drivers caught speeding a week after camera activated on main Cardiff road

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    There's a couple of points about the new 20mph zones in Wales which I think may have been overlooked.
    First, in all probability, your car's speedo is set at least 3mph LESS than actual [it can be a lot more], so if you're speedo says you are doing 30, you are doing 27 at most, pos less. Same with 20mph, you're doing 17mph MAX.

So this means that when Mr/Mrs cautious drive at 18/19mph in the new zones, they are doing 15/16 mph, possibly even less.
    Having worked in the very highly regulated field of speed calibration for the last 25 years, with every major automotive supplier except Ford, for both analogue & digital feeds, I can assure you that your statements are completely wrong and misleading. The calibration error rate allowed is less than 10ppm. The company supply millions of units each year and last year we received back 3 out of calibration units.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Having worked in the very highly regulated field of speed calibration for the last 25 years, with every major automotive supplier except Ford, for both analogue & digital feeds, I can assure you that your statements are completely wrong and misleading. The calibration error rate allowed is less than 10ppm. The company supply millions of units each year and last year we received back 3 out of calibration units.
    Ten parts per million wow!

I have been told that the new speed cameras are so accurate that they can accurately catch people at 1mph over the limit, although that may have been BS?

If anyone knows for definite what the allowances are for speeding that would be handy?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    20mph by schools perfect, everyone agrees and that was already in force. On side streets where cars are double parked, people should be driving at 10mph as a door could open at any minute. Use appropriate speed for the road and conditions.
    Exactly. Legislation totally unnecessary. Designed by people who no longer really commute too.

The real idiots drive about 45 when they should do 20. This won't stop them much, just criminalises people driving perfectly safely.

Welsh Govt are useless and just trying to do something for the sake of it.

Ten parts per million wow!

I have been told that the new speed cameras are so accurate that they can accurately catch people at 1mph over the limit, although that may have been BS?

If anyone knows for definite what the allowances are for speeding that would be handy?
    You'd be doing us all a favour if you could find out for us. Drive past at 30, 31, 32 and so on until you get a ticket then let us know.
    Cheers

I thought Monmouth council got 20mph over turned except outside schools etc

I cannot say if this is still the case but it was: +10% +3mph, which was in place for analogue instruments, still used on older vehicles, some commercial vehicles and motorcycles.

30+3+3 =36mph
    40+4+3 =47mph
    58 in 50, 69 in 60, 80 in 70
    I guess now 25 in a 20.

I stress that this may have changed but I haven’t seen or read anything.

No they won't. All polls I see suggest at least 90% are against the new 20mph speed limits. I also notice the Welsh Conservatives are promising to overturn this if elected. Will it make any difference? Hardly. Had Plaid or the Lib Dems proposed to overturn it, there might have been a threat, but Wales will never vote in a Tory senedd, no matter what it promises.
    Isn't it great living in a country with no credible opposition to the government?

I wonder what Welsh Labour would have to do to no longer be the largest party in the Senedd.

International

I cannot say if this is still the case but it was: +10% +3mph, which was in place for analogue instruments, still used on older vehicles, some commercial vehicles and motorcycles.

30+3+3 =36mph
    40+4+3 =47mph
    58 in 50, 69 in 60, 80 in 70
    I guess now 25 in a 20.

I stress that this may have changed but I haven’t seen or read anything.
    It's 10% plus 2 MPH. That is to say that they give you 1 MPH and take the photo at 2. I was done on the M4 in a 50 limit at 57, ie, 50 +5 +2.
    however beware as this is a government guideline and certain constabularies ignore it to a greater or lesser degree. (I believe Nottingham is one) If you go on line you can find a list of forces that use the government guideline. SW Police do but Gwent police failed to answer when asked in a freedom of Information request.

Additional to this is the fact that all speedos are in error by at least 2 MPH in favour of the driver avoiding a speeding penalty. My own car speedo is 2 MPH fast up to about 35 and then 3 MPH. In theory it means you could travel on the motorway with your speedo reading 80 and not be caught. however I wouldn't chance it.
    Because of the points I have been extra careful for the last 3 years but usually add 10% to the limit (Conditions permitting) and I've never been caught. The plus 1 and the speedo error is my buffer zone.
    An easy way to check the error on your speedo is put in a route to google maps and set your cruise control. Then compare the speed on the satnav to your speedo reading. (you may have to go on a 40 or 50 MPH road and set the speedo at 43/54 )

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Isn't it great living in a country with no credible opposition to the government?

I wonder what Welsh Labour would have to do to no longer be the largest party in the Senedd.
    Until support for independence rises, it can do what it likes. I think it's worth noting that much of Labour's support isn't for the party itself, but keeping the Tories out. Same in Scotland, the only party that could take over from Labour was the SNP. Scotland would never let the Tories in up there.

Until support for independence rises, it can do what it likes. I think it's worth noting that much of Labour's support isn't for the party itself, but keeping the Tories out. Same in Scotland, the only party that could take over from Labour was the SNP. Scotland would never let the Tories in up there.
    Support for independence isn't going to rise much

A few thousand flag waving nationalists isn't a movement although yes cymru are trying their best to flog a dead horse

I am not much of a fan of Welsh Labour and vote very much to keep the Tories out but many people vote Labour because they support the party

The difference between us and Scotland is that Scotland has always believed it can go it alone and the economists and analysts think it could possibly do so too

Here very few believe we could and very few vote for it either

Most elections don't see much of a Plaid vote turnout considering we have a very active and living language

It's far more living than gaelic in Scotland

And considering that fact it's surprising the vote for independence isn't higher

I think other than a protest most people step back and realise independence is simply a non starter in such a small island like Great Britain

Last night the east-bound section of the M4 was closed at J33 for re-surfacing work and traffic was diverted down the link road and then along Western Avenue. Judging by the number of cars that shot past me, driven by folk who were visitors to Cardiff, there must have been hundreds of motorists caught speeding.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    An easy way to check the error on your speedo is put in a route to google maps and set your cruise control. Then compare the speed on the satnav to your speedo reading. (you may have to go on a 40 or 50 MPH road and set the speedo at 43/54 )
    A sat nav is a guidance tool and has no legal binding, the speed shown on your “speedo” is calibrated for both mph & kmh and subject to legal, product and functional regulation & safety.

International

A sat nav is a guidance tool and has no legal binding, the speed shown on your “speedo” is calibrated for both mph & kmh and subject to legal, product and functional regulation & safety.
    I agree. Its a good guide!!

Just try sticking to the feckin limit. Knock someone over at 30 and they may have a better chance than if your adding on 5 or 6 mph just because you cant stick to the limit.

Aliken to North Korea or Russia….one party state

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Just try sticking to the feckin limit. Knock someone over at 30 and they may have a better chance than if your adding on 5 or 6 mph just because you cant stick to the limit.
    I only find sticking to 20 difficult when there are no other cars about, as long as there is plenty of traffic, and there usually is these days, it’s just about fine. If none I drift off into 25/30 easily

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Don't think 20 or 30 makes much difference if you're hit by a SUV, van or truck with the grills and bumpers these day's.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Aliken to North Korea or Russia….one party state
    No it isn't

Everyone has the chance to vote and its a secret ballot for up to 4 or 5 parties and sometimes

Plenty of people vote Labour in Surrey but they feel their vote never really counts as the tories always win

What the country needs is proportional representation

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No it isn't

Everyone has the chance to vote and its a secret ballot for up to 4 or 5 parties and sometimes

Plenty of people vote Labour in Surrey but they feel their vote never really counts as the tories always win

Or - (None of the above) on the ballot paper.

International

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No it isn't

There was a Referendum on PR during the CON/LIBDEM government. It was soundly rejected by those who voted.

Cardiff Bus has announced significant changes to its timetables, with most services being reduced and some being cut all together. One of the reasons given is "the changes that have been made to road layouts, loss of highway and junction capacity for bus movements, as well as preparation for new speed limits that affect journey times."

Yet more brilliant work by Cardiff Council and the Welsh Government.

Cardiff Bus has announced significant changes to its timetables, with most services being reduced and some being cut all together. One of the reasons given is "the changes that have been made to road layouts, loss of highway and junction capacity for bus movements, as well as preparation for new speed limits that affect journey times."

Yet more brilliant work by Cardiff Council and the Welsh Government.
    Great in it !!

We want more people to catch busses, so we’re stopping running more busses

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Great in it !!

We want more people to catch busses, so we’re stopping running more busses
    They're scrapping the bus to the St Fagans museum, which just doesn't make sense. It's regularly included in lists of the country's best attractions and museums, yet neither visitors nor locals have a means to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    There was a Referendum on PR during the CON/LIBDEM government. It was soundly rejected by those who voted.
    Of course it was. Few Tories were in favour and they'd just been elected. Labour had no position on the issues. There were two options - a shit Alternative Vote or stay as things are. No wonder it was rejected.