Quote Originally Posted by Nicerino View Post
what was the atmosphere like at Gladbach, crowd figure and overall experience ?

Was close to getting tickets for them in a few weeks but going to Schalke instead now

cia nick
I've done Schalke twice. Once in the away end (with Hertha Berlin) and once in the home end.

Great stadium and as pointed out above it is just a great experience all round really.
Germans seem to get football right.
Free travel, beer in the stadium and just a much better experience.
As TBG pointed out the stadiums are usually out of town but the transport is so spot on (and free) that it isn't a hassle at all with regular trams. When you get to the Veltins there are pop up bars and food stalls all around the ground as well as inside.

On the tram line to the ground is the Schalke Mile or Meile in German. The fans meet in the area near their old home ground as a nod to their roots and have a good drink and sing song in the pubs there. I would highly recommend it. You can just hop off and back on with regular trams.

Seeing over 16,000 on one terrace behind the goal bouncing just after kick off along with the pre match singing of Steigerlied with the scarves swinging is something to behold in itself. I'd recommend it to anybody.

Forgot to add Steigerlied being a mining song so they're not unlike the City in that respect and they play in blue and white. You'll also notice plenty of pick and shovel badges and flags in the same style as West Ham's badge.

Enjoy.