+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Manchester City under investigation for alledged financial fair play violations

Re: Manchester City under investigation for alledged financial fair play violations

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    It all depends on whether an allegation can be viewed in the past tense or not, i.e. what if it didn't happen?
    So I could say 'I don't understand why Michael Jackson still feels the need to (allegedly) abuse children' and that would make sense?

Re: Manchester City under investigation for alledged financial fair play violations

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    So I could say 'I don't understand why Michael Jackson still feels the need to (allegedly) abuse children' and that would make sense?
    My sentence was in relation to Manchester City having the best players, which was true in 2014, so it's a different context.

My sentence was in relation to Manchester City having the best players, which was true in 2014, so it's a different context.
    Get help, seriously.

Get help, seriously.
    An allegation can't be spoken of in the past tense until it has been proven, as we don't know if it occured or not.

Imagine believing you're right all the time but actually wrong everytime

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Imagine believing you're right all the time but actually wrong everytime
    Well it's an ongoing investigation, we don't know what they will find. They might even review newer deals if they find any wrongdoing. Things like this don't usually happen in isolation.

I should have pointed out that he's actually dead, so he can't still feel the need to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Shit! I didn't think of that. Can you tell UEFA that the dates are immaterial, in case they think they're important to their investigation for some reason.

Get help, seriously.

I honestly think he's still a school kid and if he's not it's worrying

I should have pointed out that he's actually dead, so he can't still feel the need to do anything.
    There must be two of you. The Wales-Bales on the previous page was saying that if allegations are being made then dates are irrelevant, it's a current situation so it should be talked about in the present tense.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

It's disturbing.

There must be two of you. The Wales-Bales on the previous page was saying that if allegations are being made then dates are irrelevant, it's a current situation so it should be talked about in the present tense.
    It's an ongoing investigation, so it's happening in the present. The dates of the possible violations do not alter this fact, so I spoke in the present tense.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post

Why don't you comment on the grammar aspect? On second thoughts, don't do it!

It's an ongoing investigation, so it's happening in the present. The dates of the possible violations do not alter this fact, so I spoke in the present tense.
    Yes, I've already discussed this with the other Wales-Bales. I said if that was true then I'd be able to talk about Michael Jackson (allegedly) abusing children in the present tense. Maybe you could read the thread back so you don't cover the same ground.

Yes, I've already discussed this with the other Wales-Bales. I said if that was true then I'd be able to talk about Michael Jackson (allegedly) abusing children in the present tense. Maybe you could read the thread back so you don't cover the same ground.
    He's dead so it could only be in the past tense. An ongoing investigation is in the present tense.

A better example would be:

I don't understand why you still feel the need to cheat, when you are happily married. (present tense, may or may not cheat again)

I don't understand why you still felt the need to cheat, when you are happily married. (past tense, cheating concluded)

He's dead so it could only be in the past tense. An ongoing investigation is in the present tense.

A better example would be:

I don't understand why you still feel the need to cheat, when you are happily married. (present tense, may or may not cheat again)

I don't understand why you still felt the need to cheat, when you are happily married. (past tense, cheating concluded)
    I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. As I said, get some help.

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about. As I said, get some help.
    Just showing the dates are irrelevant to the correctness of the grammar. If you can't get your point across without advising somebody to get help, maybe you are the one who needs help?

a) I don't understand why you still feel the need to cheat, when you are happily married. (present tense, may or may not cheat again)

b) I don't understand why you still felt the need to cheat, when you are happily married. (past tense, cheating concluded)

Given the two statements above:

"I don't understand why they still feel the need to (alledgedly) cheat, when they already have all the best manager and players" is grammatically correct, given that it is an ongoing investigation that has not yet been concluded.

* This ends the grammar element of this thread *

Just showing the dates are irrelevant to the correctness of the grammar. If you can't get your point across without advising somebody to get help, maybe you are the one who needs help?
    I've explained your error as well as I can but you still think you're right, what am I meant to do? You're making a fool of yourself & you're doing it all over this board, not just here. It's embarrassing. I don't want to mock you, it's sad really, so all I can do is advise you to get some help. Sorry if that offends.

I've explained your error as well as I can but you still think you're right, what am I meant to do? You're making a fool of yourself & you're doing it all over this board, not just here. It's embarrassing. I don't want to mock you, it's sad really, so all I can do is advise you to get some help. Sorry if that offends.
    I've given you a proof above. As the investigation is ongoing more cheating may have occured, so it cannot be stated in the past tense.

Non story unless, they are found guilty , relegated , allowing the forth from bottom to stay up .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Non story unless, they are found guilty , relegated , allowing the forth from bottom to stay up .
    I wonder if Professor Loramski agrees?

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Would the third from bottom still be relegated?

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Would the third from bottom still be relegated?
    Don't complicate things!

I wonder if Professor Loramski agrees?
    We're going there are we? I didn't need to be a professor to see the mistake you made, it's really not good that you can't see it yourself. Hopefully you're just on a wind-up, silly me for taking the bait.