+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: A dreadful team to watch

Re: A dreadful team to watch

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Generally agree.

Ignoring the interlopers, I think everyone needs to accept we are all Bluebirds (to a greater or lesser degree) otherwise why would we even be on here? Critiquing the style of play is not in any way disloyal or traitorous. If there weren't different opinions what would be the point of the board? Mostly, I think folks who express opinions that critique the team are expressing a frustration that we are not better and have a desire for us to be so. There is no malice behind it. The ridiculously silly taunts from certain people about disloyalty are totally misplaced.
    What a great post. The fans that are critical do care.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We'll agree to disagree on Blackpool. Our tactics that day hindered us by not having a plan B for Bothroyd. In the same way as we'll never know what would have happened against Portsmouth had Ramsey started, we'll never know what would have happened had Jones not thought Kelvin Etuhu was a target man. What is certain is that Etuhu was dreadful in the position he was asked to play.

How many first team players did Jones leave Malky? Imagine had we kept Bothroyd and Chopra (though by the end of that season Chopra was a busted flush).

Anyway, I can't be arsed debating all of this yet again. We have different views. I disagree with yours.
    Hey, you’re the one bringing up previous managers and asking the questions, Eric.

If you don’t want to debate it fine, I’m happy to agree to disagree, but why ask questions and then say you can’t be arsed to debate it?

I’m going to answer the questions anyway.

He left him 8 senior pros I believe, 6 or 7 of whom were regular first team starters, certainly the back bone of defence and midfield, and the other a reserve keeper, although calling Tom Heaton a reserve is harsh. Sadly Tan didn’t give Jones the funds to buy players that he gave Malky and he had to DJ therefore had to rely on a lot of loans.

3 of these 8 players - Marshall, Hudson and Whitts - were some of the best players in the championship in their position. Therefore I don’t buy into this poor Malky he only had 8 players. In some ways that’s a new managers dream. Most of those 8 were starters and he can add his players to the squad. A lot of the crap and dead wood that a new manager inevitably wants to get rid of had been removed from the club. He was given adequate funds to bring his own players in, be it through transfers or signing on fee by signing up decent players who had let their contracts run down.

It would have been nice if Bothroyd or Chopra were still at the club. Well, Bothroyd maybe, I don’t think Malky would have put up with Chopras antics. That was one of DJs downfalls, gave the players too much rope to hang themselves.

Besides, Bothroyd and Chopra were both successful Jones signings that he had to wheel and deal (something he was very good at in his time here, that is undeniable) and so it was up to Malky to do the same for positions he needed to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, given the lack of answers to my question, can I assume that no one on here is enjoying the way we are playing this season?

No you can't. I'm loving it because I know it'll work better than anyone here seems to think and I can see our boys growing in stature as the defects appear in the naive football of Fulham and Leeds.
    Also, if Cardiff City start playing on pogo sticks I'll still back them up, so I'll admit that I'm biased, which I'd hope others would be too.

In fairness, I probably look at football and no doubt many other things in a very different way to most people here. I'm all about strategy and using whatever resources are available to achieve seemingly difficult or impossible results , and it's something I've been doing successfully for a very long time. That's why I appreciate the genius of Sir Neil and his northern buffoon disguise, taking the eye of the opponent off what he's up to with apparent little follies and irrelevances whilst quietly pursuing his aims in a very serious way.

He's got the mind of a very effective general or a chess master, and if anyone fails to notice that then his diversion tactics are working very well .

I'll make another very frank admission in fairness to you. I don't really give a **** about football in general. I currently live close to several premiership teams and at one time I had a flat within maybe 200 yards of Barcelona's stadium, but I never watched them. I'm only interested in football as a medium in which Cardiff City operate. It's the particular battleground they're on, and the beautiful art of it is to master that ground in the face of superior forces.
    In short, I'd rather see them win than see tricks or exhibitions of skill, and I admire hard work , application and winning strategy far more than I do the "art of the game ".

Now, that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate pretty football as long as it's being done by someone else, but it's for entertainment purposes only and I don't have a stake in it. To paraphrase Bill Shankly , Cardiff City is MUCH more important than that.

I remember the old Colliers who worked like dogs to pay for my education and who kept faith through all the crap with the impossible dream that their kids could compete with the best in the world and that one day Cardiff City would be back playing the top teams and besting them.
    How do you evaluate or describe the cumulative hopes and dreams of those men and their hard lives ? Don't think you can, but you can feel it in the air sometimes when we win and vindicate their grim determination and hope.
    I digress, because that goes further than football, but again, yes, I love the way we're playing because we're starting to get it right again and we're getting ready to punch above our weight some more , smashing irritatingly on the door of the rich teams with our
    " 19th century football " and using what we've got rather than what we might want to have to write our names on the sands of time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, given the lack of answers to my question, can I assume that no one on here is enjoying the way we are playing this season?
    I haven't enjoyed it. Even the wins have been pedestrian. However, it doesn't mean I'm turning on the team or stabbing anyone in the back.

I don't understand what's so "negative" about being upset when your team isn't playing very well. I want us to win first and foremost, but I'd like us to be good. And I'd like us to be respected.

There are a lot of people trying to turn this thread around with a "well, what about Fulham?" approach. Well, if Fulham are really that bad, (and I do think they're underachieving terribly) surely, the fact that we couldn't beat them when they were down to ten men can only mean that Cardiff have failed on some level.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    No you can't. I'm loving it because I know it'll work better than anyone here seems to think and I can see our boys growing in stature as the defects appear in the naive football of Fulham and Leeds.
    Also, if Cardiff City start playing on pogo sticks I'll still back them up, so I'll admit that I'm biased, which I'd hope others would be too.

In fairness, I probably look at football and no doubt many other things in a very different way to most people here. I'm all about strategy and using whatever resources are available to achieve seemingly difficult or impossible results , and it's something I've been doing successfully for a very long time. That's why I appreciate the genius of Sir Neil and his northern buffoon disguise, taking the eye of the opponent off what he's up to with apparent little follies and irrelevances whilst quietly pursuing his aims in a very serious way.

He's got the mind of a very effective general or a chess master, and if anyone fails to notice that then his diversion tactics are working very well .

I'll make another very frank admission in fairness to you. I don't really give a **** about football in general. I currently live close to several premiership teams and at one time I had a flat within maybe 200 yards of Barcelona's stadium, but I never watched them. I'm only interested in football as a medium in which Cardiff City operate. It's the particular battleground they're on, and the beautiful art of it is to master that ground in the face of superior forces.
    In short, I'd rather see them win than see tricks or exhibitions of skill, and I admire hard work , application and winning strategy far more than I do the "art of the game ".

Now, that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate pretty football as long as it's being done by someone else, but it's for entertainment purposes only and I don't have a stake in it. To paraphrase Bill Shankly , Cardiff City is MUCH more important than that.

I remember the old Colliers who worked like dogs to pay for my education and who kept faith through all the crap with the impossible dream that their kids could compete with the best in the world and that one day Cardiff City would be back playing the top teams and besting them.
    How do you evaluate or describe the cumulative hopes and dreams of those men and their hard lives ? Don't think you can, but you can feel it in the air sometimes when we win and vindicate their grim determination and hope.
    I digress, because that goes further than football, but again, yes, I love the way we're playing because we're starting to get it right again and we're getting ready to punch above our weight some more , smashing irritatingly on the door of the rich teams with our
    " 19th century football " and using what we've got rather than what we might want to have to write our names on the sands of time.
    Have I seen you performing in the Glee club before?

No, but you may have seen me on TV

Probably that annoying twat on the Go Compare advert

Obviously nothing football related

No, hard to think of anything football related

I've been on talksport radio, but not about football

Nobody in their right mind would say we are GOOD to watch.

Beyond that, you can take your pick of synonyms of “not good”. Some will be more or less emphatic but “not good” we are.

I’d choose the words... generallly dull and uninspired.

At best, under Warnock, we have been tenacious, gutsy, occasionally exciting and generally fun to watch.

I haven’t seen that for about a dozen games though (barring manure).

Even for people who enjoy a Warnock team, this is far from vintage surely.

First Team

Are you Rees-Mogg's indentured serf?

No, but I think he's an excellent chap, as was his father.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I’ll see you at the Warnock testimonial in May.
    This went well.

Perhaps you're not quite as great a judge of the game as you seem to believe?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    During his post-match interview with Sky last night, Sean Morrison was honest enough to admit that Cardiff's tactics against Fulham involved nothing more than "sitting back and trying to play on the counter-attack."

Meanwhile, Josh Murphy told Sky the pre-match plan had been "to frustrate the opposition and play more like a Neil Warnock team."

The way City set up, you could have been forgiven for thinking they were facing a top Premier League side in a cup game or playing away to a leading Championship team who were in top form, but they weren't.

Cardiff were playing at home against a Fulham side they had finished in front of during the last two league campaigns; a side who were abysmal for the majority of last season; a side with a rookie manager and a notoriously fragile defence; and a side who had already been beaten by Barnsley and Nottingham Forest this season. Nevertheless, Warnock's tactics were all about stopping the opposition rather than attempting to take them on.

After Harry Arter stupidly and deservedly got himself sent off, City had almost half an hour to press home their man advantage and try to play some proper football. However, they created just three chances during that time - a long range effort from Joe Ralls that went well wide, a tame header from Robert Glatzel that went even wider and another header from Sean Morrison that also missed the target.

The manager's reaction to gaining a man advantage was not to take off a defender or a defensive midfielder and bring on a second striker to play alongside the isolated Glatzel. Instead, he took off one ineffective winger and brought on another. The result was that his players spent most of the last half hour pumping aimless balls from one side of the field to the other while barely threatening the goal of a team who were clearly rattled and obviously far from great.

Cardiff City's football has been difficult to watch for much of Warnock's tenure, but this season his team looks especially grim. In recent months, I've highlighted how few draws the Bluebirds have been involved in during the last year or so. Their sequence of 53 games without a score draw was finally ended last night and it looks to me like there will be plenty more draws in the coming months.

Warnock told Sky's reporter after the match that he doesn't have a clue where his team will end up this season. To me, they already look mid-table bankers. They're nowhere near weak enough to be involved in a relegation scrap, but by the same token they don't appear to have either the quality or the ambition to get involved in the battle for promotion. Meanwhile, the football they play makes for utterly dreadful viewing.
    This is spot on to be fair.

This went well.

You must be having a cracking Christmas

Fairly good tbh, are you willing to admit Warnock done a good job yet? I mean, the football has been worse since Harris come in but I’m not sure if we’re allowed to mention that yet anyway.

Don’t worry I’ve got better things to do than go searching through your mammoth amount of posts

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    Totally agree with this. Its what I have been saying for the last four years. Its the same people all the time banging on about how useless Warnock is, our useless owner, the way the club is run, criticising individual players etc etc. Most of them don't even go to games. I saw a much improved performance last night, against a team tipped for promotion by many and most of the people having a go tipped us to lose heavily before the game. They must have all been very disappointed by the result.
    Are DML, Ronnie Bird etc finally prepared to admit they got it wrong about Warnock? They'd constantly shoot down anyone who dared criticise the dinosaur yet we were proved right. Most of the 'negative' brigade (as they liked to call us) wanted him gone at the end of last season but we were told we were wrong and disrespectful. We weren't wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    You must be having a cracking Christmas
    Mediocre at best, a bit like City's midfield. Yesterday wasn't the greatest, 90 minutes of tedium in the rain, but we had a good time in the pub afterwards.

Have you had any further thoughts about Warnock's hopelessly negative tactics when faced with a home game against the mighty Fulham? That's the Fulham you apparently believed would have sliced City apart had the Bluebirds tried to do anything other than hold their shape. The same Fulham who have been beaten this season by Barnsley, Forest, Stoke, Hull, Bristol City, Preston and Brentford.

Am I willing to admit Warnock "done a good job"? Well, he certainly did a job on Tan & Co, that's for sure.

This went well.

Just curious. What made you dig this back up? My interpretation is you just wanted to make someone look small. No matter what your intention it’s pretty sad.

It isn't a cheap side either, yesterday's squad cost over £25m and that's without our £11m winger! What a shambles...

Cardiff City have had two golden opportunities to progress as a club through our promotions to the Premier League and we've blown both in spectacular fashion

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Just curious. What made you dig this back up? My interpretation is you just wanted to make someone look small. No matter what your intention it’s pretty sad.
    It’s his style. Didn’t you know that? Like a dog with a bone. Sad individual.

Mediocre at best, a bit like City's midfield. Yesterday wasn't the greatest, 90 minutes of tedium in the rain, but we had a good time in the pub afterwards.

Have you had any further thoughts about Warnock's hopelessly negative tactics when faced with a home game against the mighty Fulham? That's the Fulham you apparently believed would have sliced City apart had the Bluebirds tried to do anything other than hold their shape. The same Fulham who have been beaten this season by Barnsley, Forest, Stoke, Hull, Bristol City, Preston and Brentford.

Am I willing to admit Warnock "done a good job"? Well, he certainly did a job on Tan & Co, that's for sure.

Whilst you’re in the “digging up of posts” mood, I seem to remember you saying you’d never return to the City whilst Tan was at the helm?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    After yesterday's game, a group of us were talking in the pub about how tedious City are to watch this season. I mentioned that I'd posted on here something similar a few months ago and got slagged off for doing so. This morning I had a quick look to see if I could find the thread concerned and I did so quickly. Once I started reading it, I came across the posts from high-and-mighty Neil Warnock fan SunderlandBluebird telling everyone that I don't understand football. I thought I'd remind him of his patronising comments in August. They look a bit daft now, don't they? Having said that, they looked a bit daft at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Whilst you’re in the “digging up of posts” mood, I seem to remember you saying you’d never return to the City whilst Tan was at the helm?
    That's incorrect. I said I'd never put into another penny into the club while Tan owns it, and I've stuck to my word.

That's incorrect. I said I'd never put into another penny into the club while Tan owns it, and I've stuck to my word.

So you get into matches for free?