+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warnock interview - "It's the biggest challenge of my career"

Warnock interview - "It's the biggest challenge of my career"

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock says the club must not get cut adrift in the Premier League before the transfer window re-opens in January.

The Bluebirds are yet to win this season, their worst start to a campaign since 1964/1965.

Cardiff travel to Wembley next to face Spurs in a contest that marks two-years at the Cardiff helm for Warnock.

"It's the biggest challenge of my career, we have to find away of getting results until January," Warnock said.

Warnock thinks Cardiff owner Vincent Tan will allow him to strengthen his squad in the New Year as he continues to battle in his "toughest job."

"It has been a pretty amazing ride really, a lot of memorable times and probably as difficult a job as I have ever had in my career, really," he told BBC Sport Wales.

"We've got there (the Premier League) too quick though, we've been victims of our own success.

"Every few months we've jumped up two steps, rather than one.

"You can't say no to the Premier League though. The bookies have already written us off… but we can win games at this level.

"It is alright to say Vincent (Tan) should put more money in, but he's spent a fortune already.

"We need to do the best we can. Let's get more results and stay in and around the group until January and then Vincent I think will let us have two or three players."

Warnock says the Bluebirds will target the signing of a striker, having missed out on players during the summer.

"We went after quite a number of strikers, but they all fell through for one reason or another," he said.

"Sometimes you have to move quickly and we hesitated on a couple of occasions and it cost us dearly.

"We are still learning, right from the start we've said we won't moan about anything. We wanted a few more players but they aren't here. There is no point crying over spilt milk.

"We've got to try and conjure up, up until the January transfer window . . . so that we don't get adrift and that we can hopefully get two or three players in.

"When you think to deadline day, we only got Harry Arter and Victor Camarasa in 10 minutes before deadline. Imagine where we'd be without those two.

"We've really worked hard, but it has been a difficult time for us and there is no point saying differently.

"We've come so far so quickly, but you can't turn it down can you?

"When I joined we wanted to stay in the Championship, now we are in the Premier League."

Warnock says the Bluebirds' failure to capture Jefferson Lerma, who subsequently signed for AFC Bournemouth, emphasises the difficultly Cardiff have in competing in the top flight.

"We looked at Lerma. We offered £5 million. He went to Bournemouth for £25 million. We aren't in that bracket yet," Warnock said.

"I have got to work within a budget and try and get the best I can.

"At the moment I don't think we can do too much more.

"Sometimes it is difficult to digest, but you have to walk before you can run."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45730674

Re: Warnock interview - "It's the biggest challenge of my career"

I like him recognize we got there to soon. And I hope he can convince Vince how important a higher budget is.

I wonder if those who were queuing up to say Tan is our best ever owner are changing their minds. It's all well and good saying protect the future of the club but he's not doing that is he - he's just trying to cut his costs and recoup as much money as possible. He could quite easily invest without putting the future of the club at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    I wonder if those who were queuing up to say Tan is our best ever owner are changing their minds. It's all well and good saying protect the future of the club but he's not doing that is he - he's just trying to cut his costs and recoup as much money as possible. He could quite easily invest without putting the future of the club at risk.
    If he spent £100m and we'd had a similar start, people would be saying the same thing. "We've spent too much money, he's risked the future of the club to stay up." I'm certainly far from Tan's biggest fan but he can't win.

As Warnock's said, we've gone from midtable mediocrity and a relegation fight to promotion in next to no time, with good Championship players. We've had a tough ask because we've played 3 of the top 6 back to back, and shockingly our players are lacking confidence because of it. Fulham have spent an absolute fortune and are 17th. Huddersfield spent £18m on one player, they're bottom.

Wow just Wow

How the **** do you read that and come out with that?

Again it’s why it’s not worth discussing football because people are too biased and entrenched in their own views that they either can’t or won’t consider anything else.

It's true what they say, takes all sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    If he spent £100m and we'd had a similar start, people would be saying the same thing. "We've spent too much money, he's risked the future of the club to stay up." I'm certainly far from Tan's biggest fan but he can't win.

As Warnock's said, we've gone from midtable mediocrity and a relegation fight to promotion in next to no time, with good Championship players. We've had a tough ask because we've played 3 of the top 6 back to back, and shockingly our players are lacking confidence because of it. Fulham have spent an absolute fortune and are 17th. Huddersfield spent £18m on one player, they're bottom.
    Nah an extra £20 million would've got us a striker and a right back if spent wisely and it would've given us a much better chance of staying up. Warnock has said himself the club hesitated on occasions and it's cost us. We've spent 25m which is a pittance to improve a side that in Warnock's eyes got promoted too soon. Spending 50m wouldn't have put the club at risk, especially spending it correctly. I'm not saying spend 100m, but the funds should've been made available for a striker and a right back.

People are going with the "he's protecting the club's interests" but lets be honest, it's not that at all. Good luck to Warnock, I can see why it's his hardest job to date. It would be a miracle if we stayed up.

Go back to bed, and restart tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    How the **** do you read that and come out with that?

Again it’s why it’s not worth discussing football because people are too biased and entrenched in their own views that they either can’t or won’t consider anything else.
    Wasn't really a reaction to the piece, more a general thought, although Warnock talking about the club hesitating and persuading Tan to give him a decent budget aren't exactly promising signs.

Nah an extra £20 million would've got us a striker and a right back if spent wisely and it would've given us a much better chance of staying up. Warnock has said himself the club hesitated on occasions and it's cost us. We've spent 25m which is a pittance to improve a side that in Warnock's eyes got promoted too soon. Spending 50m wouldn't have put the club at risk, especially spending it correctly. I'm not saying spend 100m, but the funds should've been made available for a striker and a right back.

People are going with the "he's protecting the club's interests" but lets be honest, it's not that at all. Good luck to Warnock, I can see why it's his hardest job to date. It would be a miracle if we stayed up.
    Which striker are you getting for under £15m that's going to score the goals to keep us up?

Wasn't really a reaction to the piece, more a general thought, although Warnock talking about the club hesitating and persuading Tan to give him a decent budget aren't exactly promising signs.
    Your comprehension is terrible

Which striker are you getting for under £15m that's going to score the goals to keep us up?
    Vydra, Vokes, Chris Wood, Rondon, Gayle, Austin, Mitrovic, Kodjia, Afobe would all probably be available for under 20m and all much better than our current options.

Not saying we'd have got the likes of Mitrovic etc when Fulham were a much more attractive option but we weren't even in the mix. It's not just about scoring goals though before you send me some stat about Vokes averaging 8 goals a season for the last three years. Rondon won't bag 20 a season but he'd do the hard work, create chances and bully defenders.

Vydra, Vokes, Chris Wood, Rondon, Gayle, Austin, Mitrovic, Kodjia, Afobe would all probably be available for under 20m and all much better than our current options.

Not saying we'd have got the likes of Mitrovic etc when Fulham were a much more attractive option but we weren't even in the mix. It's not just about scoring goals though before you send me some stat about Vokes averaging 8 goals a season for the last three years. Rondon won't bag 20 a season but he'd do the hard work, create chances and bully defenders.
    Vydra isn't a number 9, and wanted 50k pw from Leeds. Vokes has 2 in his last 30. Wood cost 16m+ last season. Rondon is on 60k pw. Gayle was on 80k and scored 6 in 35. Austin would cost a fortune and Southampton wouldn't sell to a rival. Mitro cost over £20m. Kodja cost 15m 2 seasons ago. Afobe went to Stoke for 12.5m and scored 10 in 63 PL games.

I'm not sure any of them are realistic or would be able to solve the problems we have.

Vydra isn't a number 9, and wanted 50k pw from Leeds. Vokes has 2 in his last 30. Wood cost 16m+ last season. Rondon is on 60k pw. Gayle was on 80k and scored 6 in 35. Austin would cost a fortune and Southampton wouldn't sell to a rival. Mitro cost over £20m. Kodja cost 15m 2 seasons ago. Afobe went to Stoke for 12.5m and scored 10 in 63 PL games.

I'm not sure any of them are realistic or would be able to solve the problems we have.
    ^^^^

Sums it up really.

That's a decent article and I've only just got round to reading it.

I'm glad we as fans are not forgetting where we were two years ago and Warnock will always be a club legend for what he has done here.

It's why we need a better overseas scouting system. Kodjia came to Bristol City two years ago from Angers for just £2m. Swansea unearthed Michu, again for just £2m (admittedly, six years ago), Andre Ayew was a free transfer from Marseille and then later sold to West Ham for a healthy profit of £20m. I know that not all foreign transfers work out and I could be accused of being selective in the afore-mentioned players, however, have we ever signed anyone from abroad that has really worked well for us? (I won't include Garry Medel because he didn't come cheaply at the time and didn't pull up any trees while he was with us for the one season).

Whoever our overseas scouting network are, I just don't think they're good enough, they don't appear to have an eye for real talent. Before anyone points out Camarasa, it should be noted he literally arrived on our doorstep courtesy of a pre-season friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    It's why we need a better overseas scouting system. Kodjia came to Bristol City two years ago from Angers for just £2m. Swansea unearthed Michu, again for just £2m (admittedly, six years ago), Andre Ayew was a free transfer from Marseille and then later sold to West Ham for a healthy profit of £20m. I know that not all foreign transfers work out and I could be accused of being selective in the afore-mentioned players, however, have we ever signed anyone from abroad that has really worked well for us? (I won't include Garry Medel because he didn't come cheaply at the time and didn't pull up any trees while he was with us for the one season).

Whoever our overseas scouting network are, I just don't think they're good enough, they don't appear to have an eye for real talent. Before anyone points out Camarasa, it should be noted he literally arrived on our doorstep courtesy of a pre-season friendly.
    Well yes, we do. We also nearly signed Kodjia in 2015 but I think we baulked at the £2m asking price. Worked out well... At least we had Alex Revell.

And we've bought from abroad a lot, we've never had too much success. Loovens and Manga are obvious exceptions. We've had foreign players such as Gunnar but they'd already been established.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post

Zohore. Absolutely had a positive influence over the last few seasons.

To a lesser extent Damour also played a decent part last season.

Surprised we didn't look at the French Market, there must be some talent there that wouldn't have cost even as much as Reid or Murphy.

Going back further Eddie, I won't hear a bad word said about him, that goal.

And I think you've overlooked Fred completely, very unfairly.

On the whole I agree, it's quite clear our scouting networks are limited.

Well yes, we do. We also nearly signed Kodjia in 2015 but I think we baulked at the £2m asking price. Worked out well... At least we had Alex Revell.

And we've bought from abroad a lot, we've never had too much success. Loovens and Manga are obvious exceptions. We've had foreign players such as Gunnar but they'd already been established.
    Yes, that's what I'm saying.. not including already established players, I think our record is not too good.

Not sure the will has ever been there to build up a worthwhile overseas scouting system and I have to wonder if we have one currently - Warnock's got a former player of his in France who recommends names to him occasionally and we did appear to have some sort of network around the Benelux countries once, but that seems to have died a death.

He’s getting as boring as Slade now. Change the ****ing record, Neil.

There's some fantastic talent in the eredivisie which would cost 1/4 of the price for players over here

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    He’s getting as boring as Slade now. Change the ****ing record, Neil.
    You do have a point. The repetitive rhetoric is hard to take - I’d prefer he said nothing at the moment. He seems to have lost a bit of the “it’s us against the world attitude” that were his hallmark and why fans of other clubs (including us when he wasn’t here) despised him.

I think if we were still in the Championship he’d still be an utter prick to everyone and I’d be looking forward to his weekly commentary. We’ll probably be back there next year and I’m ok with that and Neil is totally fine by me until such point when we turn into an Ipswich or other mediocre Championship team or worse - but let’s not go down with a wimper - let’s make some noise Neil, of the wrong sort if necessary, but let’s let everyone know we’re here and we’re a horrible bunch of bastards.

We've seen with Bamba and Holiett that teams can be improved with free deals, with Etheridge that teams can be improved with lower league signings, and with Arter that sometimes not the best player but key ingredients can improve a side. I think everyone would want another striker but that would potentially involve spending an extra £10m we didn't have, however I bet we would improve our side 10x over by spending as little as £2m on a right-back. It's not always the amount of money when people ask if enough money has been spent.

And if we are not in a position to spend £15m plus on a striker to keep us up then let's buy into long term planning and buy Bamba's future replacement for £3m. I know he's just (relatively) signed a new contract but in 2 years he won't be the same player. Same could be said for Gunnarson's replacement. Unless of course the plan is to develop players from our academy to fill these roles long term.

Lots to enjoy, lot's to be thankful for but media question about has enough money been spent to improve the side usually misses out second part of what would we spend it on.