+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Biggest let-down in the World Cup.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Biggest let-down in the World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    The holders went out in the first round and people are naming semi finalists
    The writing was on the wall for Germany though in their results from qualifying onwards - I was surprised to see them fail to get out of the group stage, but never had them down to go too far in the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The writing was on the wall for Germany though in their results from qualifying onwards - I was surprised to see them fail to get out of the group stage, but never had them down to go too far in the competition.
    I'd call that hindsight. Qualifying performance and tournament performance are different. You can't read much into it and I don't recall anyone saying that for the Germans before the world cup started.

Germany were the biggest let down, easily. They are the masters of tournament football.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I'd call that hindsight. Qualifying performance and tournament performance are different. You can't read much into it and I don't recall anyone saying that for the Germans before the world cup started.

Germany were the biggest let down, easily. They are the masters of tournament football.
    No, I can't honestly say that Germany did not occur to me as possible winners when I sat down before the tournament and thought of who could actually come out on top - neither did Argentina, but Spain certainly did.

Germany won one game in five going into the World Cup and that was by 2-1 against Saudi Arabia - for whatever reason, they weren't looking like a "typical" Germany team in the run up and, for me, they looked knackered throughout.