+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Speeding fine conundrum ?

Re: Speeding fine conundrum ?

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Don't forget to include a Daily Newspaper in your photo of the number plate change. Digital Date stamps can be faked but the daily paper in the photo is still reliable evidence.
    In these days of Photoshop, how does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by headlight View Post
    I forgot to mention that during my last call to the Safety Camera Unit I mentioned that the picture they had sent me was of a car that was a slightly different colour to mine & that the number plate did not have the dealers name under it as mine does.
    I asked if if I could email them pictures of my car to show what I meant.
    This I did & have got up this morning to find an email waiting from them that says that they cannot accept the photographs as due to the data protection act my email address must contain my full name ?
    I have 2 email addresses neither of which contains my full name as when I set them up my full name was already in use.
    I now have to either borrow or buy a camera & get pictures printed out & post them in.
    I included my full name, DOB & the fine reference number in the email so who do they think is emailing them other me ?
    How many peoples email address contains their full name ?
    More unnecessary awkwardness on their part to make things as difficult as possible as far as I am concerned.
    Not sure about why it's a data protection act thing, but it probably means they want a work email address that's likely to have your full name, not a hotmail/gmail. What it's got to do with the price of chips, I've no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    In these days of Photoshop, how does that work?
    In the old days you used to send yourself a copy (normally the music you created) via recorded deliver and sealed with a wax stamp and not open until the time to prove was necessary, or something like that!

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    In the old days you used to send yourself a copy (normally the music you created) via recorded deliver and sealed with a wax stamp and not open until the time to prove was necessary, or something like that!
    You can still use Photoshop on it beforehand.

I forgot to mention that during my last call to the Safety Camera Unit I mentioned that the picture they had sent me was of a car that was a slightly different colour to mine & that the number plate did not have the dealers name under it as mine does.
    This I did & have got up this morning to find an email waiting from them that says that they cannot accept the photographs as due to the data protection act my email address must contain my full name ?
    I have 2 email addresses neither of which contains my full name as when I set them up my full name was already in use.
    I now have to either borrow or buy a camera & get pictures printed out & post them in.
    I included my full name, DOB & the fine reference number in the email so who do they think is emailing them other me ?
    More unnecessary awkwardness on their part to make things as difficult as possible as far as I am concerned.
    You don't need a camera, you should be able to use your phone and download the photos onto film at Boots

This thread has certainly thrown up some interesting and worrying stuff. Too late for the OP I know but maybe the moral of the story is to make sure that you have some unique marker (e.g. an unusual decal) next to the number plate so as to minimise the risk should someone decide to clone your registration number?

I have been to my local police station who have told me it is nothing to do with them & I must discuss it with the safety camera unit that issued the fine.
    The keys to the car were in my house whilst I was away for the first offence & 2 family members have keys to my house but they both have cars, nicer cars than mine, & & both have assured me that they have not driven it.
    For the second offence I was in the house, the keys were in the house & the car was definitely on my drive.

What di you tell them. Its definitely to do with them if the car has been cloned. Nothing to do with speed camera unit.

you dont have a teenager who could of nicked it do you?

Invest in a CCTV unit on your window to show the car there for future tickets.
    Last edited by Barry Dragon; 10-05-17 at 08:35.

Strange that a driver with an impeccable record wasn't offered a speed awareness course too for such small margins over the limit

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    You can still use Photoshop on it beforehand.
    But the date it was posted is the key. I knew a musician that used to write for bigger artist and he sent his music to himself recorded delivery so any disputes to the ownership of the music he had the date it was posted and a recording/sheet music inside the envelope.

Felt i was missing out on the biggest thread so wanted to contribute something

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Strange that a driver with an impeccable record wasn't offered a speed awareness course too for such small margins over the limit
    That only come after you plead guilty...

I was not driving the car, the 2 family members who theoretically could have got hold of my keys swear they did not drive it, & as far as I am concerned the car was on the drive at the time of both incidents.
    I will contact the police today & see if I can report the 2 incidents as crimes although how I would do that I do not know as the car has not been stolen & has been in my possession the entire time ?
    The fact that I ordered (& received within 24 hours) new number plates online without any documentation proves that anyone can get number plates made up to clone a car if they want to.
    Reporting it will only strengthen your case.

Have you gone to PEPIPOO for advice?

I can't see it matters what registration plates you have. Anyone can do that, have 2 sets of number plates. It takes 2 minutes to change them. Or even a couple of stickers on the plate. That won't get the poor bloke off the 'charge'.

Well I have just returned home to find the photograph of the second offence waiting for me.
    This time the picture is of the back of my car, same as before showing my registration number but the car pictured does not have a tow bar & mine was purchased with a tow bar fitted.
    I have just contacted the dealer who is willing to confirm that my car was supplied with a tow bar fitted so I will be sending off a letter to the relevant Police force with a picture of the rear of my car showing the tow bar, no details filled in on the fine paperwork & a covering letter explaining that the car they have photographed is not mine.

Well I have just returned home to find the photograph of the second offence waiting for me.
    This time the picture is of the back of my car, same as before showing my registration number but the car pictured does not have a tow bar & mine was purchased with a tow bar fitted.
    I have just contacted the dealer who is willing to confirm that my car was supplied with a tow bar fitted so I will be sending off a letter to the relevant Police force with a picture of the rear of my car showing the tow bar, no details filled in on the fine paperwork & a covering letter explaining that the car they have photographed is not mine.
    Nice one!
    That should be the clincher.
    If you report the same to the camera people and the police...
    They should be on the lookout for the offending car.

Hopefully that'll be enough for them and they'll accept that its another car.

Be interesting to know how many people get caught like this and end up just paying the fine so it doesn't go any further.

Just had a horrible thought...

Check the serial number inside the engine compartment to make sure it's not YOUR car that is the clone.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Just had a horrible thought...

Check the serial number inside the engine compartment to make sure it's not YOUR car that is the clone.
    Already done that, mine is the real car

If all they want is an email address with your full name, you can just open a new account (Gmail, Yahoo etc).

TBH I am not opening a 3rd email account just because the safety camera unit are making things awkward.
    Since my last post I have spoken to 101 who have involved the police.
    I have been told to expect contact from the police within 24 hours.
    I have been told by 101 to write to the safety camera unit again informing them that the police are now involved & to put the prosecution on hold whilst the police investigate.
    They have given me a reference number to quote to the safety camera unit & have told me on no account to send back the notice of intended prosecution.
    Looks like several more visits to the local post office to send off recorded delivery letters.

TBH I am not opening a 3rd email account just because the safety camera unit are making things awkward.
    Since my last post I have spoken to 101 who have involved the police.
    I have been told to expect contact from the police within 24 hours.
    I have been told by 101 to write to the safety camera unit again informing them that the police are now involved & to put the prosecution on hold whilst the police investigate.
    They have given me a reference number to quote to the safety camera unit & have told me on no account to send back the notice of intended prosecution.
    Looks like several more visits to the local post office to send off recorded delivery letters.
    Glad you're not giving in to their bullying tactics, it's a terrible system with the main goal of raising revenue at the cost (and chagrin) of motorists.

I am still expecting problems based on everything I have read online, such as being told that I could easily have removed the tow bar, that the cameras are not designed to pick out anything other than the digits/letters on the number plate etc.
    At the end of the day though I have a number of different things, albeit individually small, that mount up to fair argument IMHO that the car being photographed is not mine.
    The crunch will come if the safety camera units refuse to accept my reasons for the car not being mine & proceed with prosecuting me in court.

Interesting developments.Keep fighting this.

I am still expecting problems based on everything I have read online, such as being told that I could easily have removed the tow bar, that the cameras are not designed to pick out anything other than the digits/letters on the number plate etc.
    At the end of the day though I have a number of different things, albeit individually small, that mount up to fair argument IMHO that the car being photographed is not mine.
    The crunch will come if the safety camera units refuse to accept my reasons for the car not being mine & proceed with prosecuting me in court.
    Well if it gets to court, at least you'll get to plead your case to an actual human rather than the circle-jerk system of responses that you're currently enduring.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Well if it gets to court, at least you'll get to plead your case to an actual human rather than the circle-jerk system of responses that you're currently enduring.
    Don't ask Tandy to be your advocate

How much did the camera pick out in your case? If there was a distinctive decal just to one side of the reg plate would it have picked it out? Just asking, because your dilemma has prompted me to try the decal idea.

It is absurd that anyone would try to argue that you may have removed the tow bar before the alleged speeding took place and then put it back on afterwards! It's not exactly a 5 minute job and why would you do that?