+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craig Bellamy

Re: Craig Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I'm amazed we haven't signed Jamie Mackie mate. I thought that would be nailed on!

I share your concerns about the squad Bellamy would inherit from Warnock as we all saw what happened with Trollope.

I think if we do go for it this year it will probably be shit or bust again. I we don't get promoted this season i would live to see Bellamy take over and do a rebuilding job similar to what has gone on a Fulham.

I think it's imperative that there are two different goals set by the board this season.

1) For us to challenge immediately for play offs

2) To continue developing a system of play that can somehow be recognised as the Cardiff way in years to come.

I do think that it's possible for this to happen and the latter will only bear fruit in years to come. It will inevitably be difficult and in an ideal world we'd all be singing off the same hymn sheet but we have to find a way that is sustainable if we stay in the championship and that can only be done by developing our own.
    Question to ask who in our squad is better than Mackie ,it will come down to the same old thing ,money ,and length of contract,the later being the one that costs you in the end with older players .

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I'm amazed we haven't signed Jamie Mackie mate. I thought that would be nailed on!

I share your concerns about the squad Bellamy would inherit from Warnock as we all saw what happened with Trollope.

I think if we do go for it this year it will probably be shit or bust again. I we don't get promoted this season i would live to see Bellamy take over and do a rebuilding job similar to what has gone on a Fulham.

I think it's imperative that there are two different goals set by the board this season.

1) For us to challenge immediately for play offs

2) To continue developing a system of play that can somehow be recognised as the Cardiff way in years to come.

I do think that it's possible for this to happen and the latter will only bear fruit in years to come. It will inevitably be difficult and in an ideal world we'd all be singing off the same hymn sheet but we have to find a way that is sustainable if we stay in the championship and that can only be done by developing our own.
    I think the problem with Mackie is QPR have an option on his contract, so can extend it for a year but they seem to be trying to work out a longer term deal. Either way, I think we'll sign a few of his mates.

I think we've got a decent squad and Warnock is building a pretty solid platform. We've clearly became hard to beat and we just need a little more. I think we'll be a bit more agricultural than someone like Bellamy would like but if we can keep the solidity at the back I think we can do both.

Lastly, if Warnock does get replaced by Bellamy next summer, I'd like us to try and keep NW around for a season at least, just as a go between in some DoF role, for stability and to give Bellamy some advice. Having said all that, it can't be easy having the old manager over your shoulder, especially when I fully expect NW to continue the great work he's done this season.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    A bit off topic but another classic Bobby robson remark was the one about Paul Gasgoine.

He said he found him in the dressing room one day after training and he was crying. When robson enquired what was wrong he said it was because Gazza had just found out that his sister had 2 brothers and he only had one!!

I think that's classic!
    Brilliant

Sir Bobby. Absolute legend. Word gets thrown about too easy these days but he had a real awe about him and come across a proper gentleman.

I remember flying to Newcastle to watch Cardiff at Sunderland and when we were going through to baggage the Newcastle team were flying abroad for a European game. All the players walked past heads down or headphones on in their own little bubble but Sir Bobby acknowledged us "Alright lads, good luck tonight". Touch of class.

Sir Alex Ferguson had a bit of a temper and it did him no harm
    at all as a manager. Good luck Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Brilliant

Sir Bobby. Absolute legend. Word gets thrown about too easy these days but he had a real awe about him and come across a proper gentleman.

I remember flying to Newcastle to watch Cardiff at Sunderland and when we were going through to baggage the Newcastle team were flying abroad for a European game. All the players walked past heads down or headphones on in their own little bubble but Sir Bobby acknowledged us "Alright lads, good luck tonight". Touch of class.
    Sir Bobby was a proper gentleman.
    I remember watching an interview with him years ago. The topic got on to Maradona and his hand of god goal.
    He wasn't bitter and twisted about that goal. Infact he said that Maradona missed a perfect opportunity to go down as one of the greatest sportsmen in history. All he had to do was to go up to the ref and admit that he handballed it, but he never and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    Sir Alex Ferguson had a bit of a temper and it did him no harm
    at all as a manager. Good luck Craig.
    How would it work today though with so much player power? The players are far more precious than say 10 years ago? Look how thecplauers turned on Mourinho and he'd just won the league. Rianieri too.

So much money involved these days far easier to get rid of the manager and side with the players.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    How would it work today though with so much player power? The players are far more precious than say 10 years ago? Look how thecplauers turned on Mourinho and he'd just won the league. Rianieri too.

So much money involved these days far easier to get rid of the manager and side with the players.
    You're spot on here.
    If you or I decided to deliberately perform badly at work because we didn't like our manager, we'd be out the door. No multimillion pound pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    You're spot on here.
    If you or I decided to deliberately perform badly at work because we didn't like our manager, we'd be out the door. No multimillion pound pay off.
    Football seems to play by its own set of rules.
    Vilas Boas is a multi millionaire by being a failure. Got sacked twice early into 5 year contracts and has tens of millions to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    You're spot on here.
    And the sooner that attitude returns to football the better. Far too much player power these days.