+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The NFL show bbc 1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The NFL show bbc 1

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    Any body ever watch it. It's only half hour long which is great. I am not a massive fan of American Football but it is growing on me. Never thought it would. I like Osi Umenyiora as well. Pretty incisive on the video playbacks helps me understand what's going on. It's a weird game and certainly not football and shouldn't be called such but there is something about it.
    I've been living in Minneapolis for 6 years now and like you, have come to be able to live with this strange game. What you might not have realised is that the game is as much a cultural thing in the States as it is a professional sport. The kids can get involved in Junior High at age 13 and if you want to play you learn pretty quickly that it's taken very seriously from day one. Every High School has it's teams and a proper 'stadium' with bleachers (open seating), the school adopts a team name as in the pro game - my local school uses 'Rebels' (which gets tagged on to every sporting team in the school not just football) and if you play for the school team, you're looked up to and supported by your peers - it's regarded as an honour. It seems the whole neighborhood gets involved in supporting the High School sports teams and fund-raises for kit and training. The girls (as well as having their own sports teams including soccer) work hard to get selected for cheerleading duties and the whole thing creates a sense of pride community pride and achievements are reported on by local by local media including TV. The aim for any team is to get through to state finals, considered a huge thing when you consider the number of schools involved. Of course the best are offered scholarships and go off into College football which is huge all across the states and in every sport. The Minnesota Gophers (University Football team) play in a new(ish) 50,000 seat stadium. In football, do well at College and you can look forward to being included in the annual draft of college players and ultimately be picked by one of the professional teams with a million-dollar contract.

Final thought about the professional game, the 52nd Superbowl is here in Minneapolis in February and the (Minnesota) Vikings have already earned a place in the end-of-season play offs (only 6 qualify). As you can imagine there's great excitement first about hosting Superbowl and all the add-on events that surround it (a full 7 days of major events) but also because the Vikings are considered one of the leading contenders to get to and win Superbowl. If that was to come about, they'd be the first NFL team to win Superbowl in the their own stadium. They need to beat Chicago Bears tomorrow to ensure a bye in the first round of play-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    I've been living in Minneapolis for 6 years now and like you, have come to be able to live with this strange game. What you might not have realised is that the game is as much a cultural thing in the States as it is a professional sport. The kids can get involved in Junior High at age 13 and if you want to play you learn pretty quickly that it's taken very seriously from day one. Every High School has it's teams and a proper 'stadium' with bleachers (open seating), the school adopts a team name as in the pro game - my local school uses 'Rebels' (which gets tagged on to every sporting team in the school not just football) and if you play for the school team, you're looked up to and supported by your peers - it's regarded as an honour. It seems the whole neighborhood gets involved in supporting the High School sports teams and fund-raises for kit and training. The girls (as well as having their own sports teams including soccer) work hard to get selected for cheerleading duties and the whole thing creates a sense of pride community pride and achievements are reported on by local by local media including TV. The aim for any team is to get through to state finals, considered a huge thing when you consider the number of schools involved. Of course the best are offered scholarships and go off into College football which is huge all across the states and in every sport. The Minnesota Gophers (University Football team) play in a new(ish) 50,000 seat stadium. In football, do well at College and you can look forward to being included in the annual draft of college players and ultimately be picked by one of the professional teams with a million-dollar contract.

Final thought about the professional game, the 52nd Superbowl is here in Minneapolis in February and the (Minnesota) Vikings have already earned a place in the end-of-season play offs (only 6 qualify). As you can imagine there's great excitement first about hosting Superbowl and all the add-on events that surround it (a full 7 days of major events) but also because the Vikings are considered one of the leading contenders to get to and win Superbowl. If that was to come about, they'd be the first NFL team to win Superbowl in the their own stadium. They need to beat Chicago Bears tomorrow to ensure a bye in the first round of play-offs.
    I'm an Eagles fan and without Wentz I fear the Eagles' super bowl run will end when they play Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I'm an Eagles fan and without Wentz I fear the Eagles' super bowl run will end when they play Minnesota.
    I dont know that offensive line is pretty impressive without wentz.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    I dont know that offensive line is pretty impressive without wentz.
    Foles was awful on Christmas Day. And the defense have lost their way over the last month. It will be interesting to see what kind of team the Eagles field today for a meaningless game. I should imagine the first-string offense will all start and play for a while to give Foles some game time with full protection and offensive weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Foles was awful on Christmas Day. And the defense have lost their way over the last month. It will be interesting to see what kind of team the Eagles field today for a meaningless game. I should imagine the first-string offense will all start and play for a while to give Foles some game time with full protection and offensive weapons.
    Yeah forget that your fecked, shame because I think you would've won the SB this year the NFC tough to call Vikings or Rams