Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
Starmer doesn't seem to be falling for the obvious traps, 'rate Corbyn out of 10', 'are you a Zionist?'. I think labour can regain its focus under him and I see a real possibility of a united party.
If he means what he says in the hustings (and he seems to be doubling down on the 'do not jettison Corbyn' comments) then I think you may be right. I am bothered by all of the candidates on their response to the anti-semitism (part genuine, part manufactured) crisis. But Starmer has been impressive on the role of the membership, support for the green new deal and anti-austerity platform in the last two manifestos (and the failures of the market - which distances him from many Blairites), an ethical foreign policy with a focus on human rights (which in the context he said it seems to be partly about Israel/Palestine as well as arms trading, Saudi Arabia, Iran and China) and the overriding need to make Labour electable without ditching principles, values and difficult (if individually popular) policies. He isn't a great orator or personality - but he does exude competence and integrity.