+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff to pay 5.3 Million for Sala

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff to pay 5.3 Million for Sala

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    On the contrary, I think they've done the right thing. They've kept quiet and handed it to the insurers etc. Nantes have kicked up a fuss but this ruling shows the transfer wasn't finalised. It's horrible but the club did offer a sum to draw a line under it and Nantes refused. I'm not sure what the club could have done but we're not in a position to just throw away £10m.
    I understand why you see it that way and there is a financial logic to it, it's just after all the "once a bluebird, always a bluebird" and posing with the shirt etc it's pretty gross to see two clubs arguing the smallprint of a "commodity" and I wish we'd paid the fee that we were committed to paying. Or even better paid most and of it and donated a part of it to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I understand why you see it that way and there is a financial logic to it, it's just after all the "once a bluebird, always a bluebird" and posing with the shirt etc it's pretty gross to see two clubs arguing the smallprint of a "commodity" and I wish we'd paid the fee that we were committed to paying. Or even better paid most and of it and donated a part of it to his family.
    Insurers will be involved and telling the club what to do. Nantes and Cardiff lost out because of Willie McKay's actions. He was coming back over to sign for us, and the grief was legitimate from all parties. I honestly have no idea what the club could have done, £10m is pretty much our record signing, we aren't in a position to piss that up the wall. I hope his family are supported and the club would do well to pay the money to his youth club as a PR exercise. It wouldn't cost a lot but would boost the club's reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Insurers will be involved and telling the club what to do. Nantes and Cardiff lost out because of Willie McKay's actions. He was coming back over to sign for us, and the grief was legitimate from all parties. I honestly have no idea what the club could have done, £10m is pretty much our record signing, we aren't in a position to piss that up the wall. I hope his family are supported and the club would do well to pay the money to his youth club as a PR exercise. It wouldn't cost a lot but would boost the club's reputation.
    This is what I thought.

Let’s pay what we have to, and sue McKay if our insurance (I’m assuming we have some) doesn’t pay out.

It is a shame to hear this may not be the end of the situation.

When I first heard the news earlier, my first thoughts where it sounded like a common sense decision. Both clubs had valid perspectives on the situation, it was a tough situation that no one would walk away happy from, 5.3 million looked to be on the surface a good compromise position for me put forward by the committee.

There is a saying in business; the best settlements is when nobody is 100% happy.
    5.3m sounded like a sensible ruling, I still hope that is the FINAL decision as I fell it is one both sets of clubs and fans can sallow.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

When I first heard the news earlier, my first thoughts where it sounded like a common sense decision. Both clubs had valid perspectives on the situation, it was a tough situation that no one would walk away happy from, 5.3 million looked to be on the surface a good compromise position for me put forward by the committee.

There is a saying in business; the best settlements is when nobody is 100% happy.
    5.3m sounded like a sensible ruling, I still hope that is the FINAL decision as I fell it is one both sets of clubs and fans can sallow.
    Don’t forget Bordeaux are due 33% of any fee too.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post

It may be common sense but FIFA couldn’t make a compromise solution. Either we owe the money or we don’t. Either he was registered as ours or he wasn’t.

Then the insurers will have their own view.

FIFA can’t say “we can’t decide so just give them some money and we’ll never speak of this again.” The clubs could do that independently but when it gets to this level ultimately someone has to win and someone has to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    This is what I thought.

Let’s pay what we have to, and sue McKay if our insurance (I’m assuming we have some) doesn’t pay out.
    Not a lot of point in pursuing Willie McKay for money as he is an unduscharged bankrupt under a bankruptcy restriction order until at least 2023.

The only hope of him being punished is in a criminal case under two options

1. He is due back in court shortly to try and defend a criminal claim against him for breaches of his bankruptcy

2. There may possibly in future be manslaughter charges relating to involvement in the plane crash