+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Greyhound as a pet

Greyhound as a pet

Looking into lots of alternatives

Anyone got a greyhound ?

Would go to greyhound rescue , beautiful animals

Re: Greyhound as a pet

I think you have got the idea of dogging a bit mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    I think you have got the idea of dogging a bit mixed up.
    Don't be crude sonny

Still rocking ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Don't be crude sonny

Still rocking ?
    Couldn't resist!!

I certainly am. Not as heavy as some of the stuff you listen to though. Currently got the excellent Massive Wagons on repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Couldn't resist!!

I certainly am. Not as heavy as some of the stuff you listen to though. Currently got the excellent Massive Wagons on repeat.
    Keep it metal

They are magnificent and very loyal and usually placid and docile. Meet a couple of rescued ones walking my mutts now and then and they always appear a tad sad but yet elegant if that makes sense. The rescue ones from racing have usually had something pretty sh*t happen to them the keeper informs me. The best examples of breed are much prized of course and kept. He has been taking them for years.

They are big dogs remember Sludge. Which I know you know but it's only when you stand beside one you notice. They are amazing creatures and if you were to get one you would be repaid many, many times over for your efforts. Good in Family's usually as well, cause I asked him about this too. It's like any rescue dog that you don't get as a pup you never really know but I would say 99% are brill which is a higher percentage than can be said of humans in my experience. Good luck mate.

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    They are magnificent and very loyal and usually placid and docile. Meet a couple of rescued ones walking my mutts now and then and they always appear a tad sad but yet elegant if that makes sense. The rescue ones from racing have usually had something pretty sh*t happen to them the keeper informs me. The best examples of breed are much prized of course and kept. He has been taking them for years.

They are big dogs remember Sludge. Which I know you know but it's only when you stand beside one you notice. They are amazing creatures and if you were to get one you would be repaid many, many times over for your efforts. Good in Family's usually as well, cause I asked him about this too. It's like any rescue dog that you don't get as a pup you never really know but I would say 99% are brill which is a higher percentage than can be said of humans in my experience. Good luck mate.
    I have got a smashed up ankle so a dog that needs long walks is out for me , greyhound trust say twenty five minutes a day is fine and they are very chilled , looking at whippets too if not it will be a small cross breed rescue dog from RSPCA

I used to have a lurcher cross when I was a kid. He used to love to swim in the sea. Loved it. He was highly strung but that was just him. Whippets are fine dogs. I keep terrier's and they would happily come wherever I go if they could cause they don't seem to ever get tired. Always a new hole/bush to poke you're head in. That sound's dodgy but I can't explain it any better. Sludge you will be in you're element mate. Always a dog ready to be rescued and give you everything they have got in return. If you got the time then you are in there mate. Plus they can't complain to you about you're taste in music. Hope it works for you

Had a rescue greyhound a while back, lovely animal. Great nature and a bit dim, don't need lots of exercise but need to be on a lead at all times when out as they have the urge to chase small furry things and can disappear from view very quickly.

The one I had was terrified of thunder but apart from that she made a really nice pet.

Forgot to mention that they can have teeth issues due to being fed a lot of soft slop type food.

Cockapoo's are the best. Actual teddybears

Quote Originally Posted by joecity View Post
    I used to have a lurcher cross when I was a kid. He used to love to swim in the sea. Loved it. He was highly strung but that was just him. Whippets are fine dogs. I keep terrier's and they would happily come wherever I go if they could cause they don't seem to ever get tired. Always a new hole/bush to poke you're head in. That sound's dodgy but I can't explain it any better. Sludge you will be in you're element mate. Always a dog ready to be rescued and give you everything they have got in return. If you got the time then you are in there mate. Plus they can't complain to you about you're taste in music. Hope it works for you
    Cheers mate , metal rules

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Had a rescue greyhound a while back, lovely animal. Great nature and a bit dim, don't need lots of exercise but need to be on a lead at all times when out as they have the urge to chase small furry things and can disappear from view very quickly.

The one I had was terrified of thunder but apart from that she made a really nice pet.

Forgot to mention that they can have teeth issues due to being fed a lot of soft slop type food.
    Cheers

They say that if you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas. Well I laid down with a right dog at a beach party in Magaluf last summer, and fleas would have been a facking blessing compared to what I got up with.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Looking into lots of alternatives

Anyone got a greyhound ?

Would go to greyhound rescue , beautiful animals
    Things you need to consider.

The smell, crapping and pissing on the carpet, trying to shag anything with a pulse, eating absolutely anything, the noise... I could go on.

Do you think it’s fair on the dog to bring it into such an environment?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

The smell, crapping and pissing on the carpet, trying to shag anything with a pulse, eating absolutely anything, the noise... I could go on.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Oh we have a joker , well you all have been placed in the book

Used to have a Greyhound/lab cross. Lovely laid-back temperament and very obedient. Big dog though and full-time job clearing-up shit from the garden, would never hold on till a walk unlike some dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Cockapoo's are the best. Actual teddybears
    We have a Cockapoo. What lovely dogs they are. So loving and loyal.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Used to have a Greyhound/lab cross. Lovely laid-back temperament and very obedient. Big dog though and full-time job clearing-up shit from the garden, would never hold on till a walk unlike some dogs.
    Isn't that the scenario that most non-dog owners dream of? Dogs defecating on their owners' properties rather than in public places?

International

Lurchers are a crodss between a grayhound and any other hound, and you can get them from grayhound rescue.
    beautiful anumals, loyal and great company. They're usually a tad smaller than a full grayhound which is a plus, as they really are tall animals. They can sometimes be as small as a whippet and can be short or long haired. But whatever, they have great personalities.
    I'd have a lurcher any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Isn't that the scenario that most non-dog owners dream of? Dogs defecating on their owners' properties rather than in public places?
    He used to do both.

A hound is indeed a fine thing. I got terriers now but a hound is as noble as they come with loyalty abound. Fine choice for a companion.