+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Council results

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Council results

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post

It says, 'about a quarter of people of working-age - around 10 million people - don't currently have jobs,' then later on, 'officially, about 1.3 million people in the UK were unemployed.'

Effectively then, there's really approaching 8 times more working-age people who are unemployed than what the official figures - which is defined and manipulated by government setting a very narrow criteria - would have us believe.
    No - that isn’t ‘effectively’ what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    No - that isn’t ‘effectively’ what it says.
    I asked google, what is the definition and measurement of UK unemployment?

Answer - Unemployed people are defined as those aged 16 or over who are without work, available to start work in the next two weeks and who have either: a) been actively seeking work in the past four weeks, or. b) are waiting to start a new job they have already obtained.

ONS data for February 2023 - Employment in the UK: February 2023 - https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentand...k/february2023

Says: February 2023 UK unemployment rate: 3.7%, employment rate: 75.8%.

Or, 24.2% are not employed, but just 3.7% of those are counted as unemployed.

I asked google, what is the definition and measurement of UK unemployment?

Answer - Unemployed people are defined as those aged 16 or over who are without work, available to start work in the next two weeks and who have either: a) been actively seeking work in the past four weeks, or. b) are waiting to start a new job they have already obtained.

ONS data for February 2023 - Employment in the UK: February 2023 - https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentand...k/february2023

Says: February 2023 UK unemployment rate: 3.7%, employment rate: 75.8%.

Or, 24.2% are not employed, but just 3.7% of those are counted as unemployed.
    yes all those infants and pensioners should start pulling their weight

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    yes all those infants and pensioners should start pulling their weight
    Had you read prior messages you would know the context, working-age people is what's being discussed, those aged 16 to 65.

Had you read prior messages you would know the context, working-age people is what's being discussed, those aged 16 to 65.
    Of course, but within those you class as not-employed will be full time students and those training for work. It's not as if nearly 25% of the population sits on its arse. There will be a small percentage of people who choose not to work as a partner earns enough to keep both of them plus family.

Interestingly, the 75.8% employment rate includes those working part time and those on zero hour contracts. It's not as if three quarters of the population are in full time, meaningful employment.

I am still 'working age' (assumes that means below the state pension age).

I am 'early retired' (almost 9 years ago now).

I am not seeking work, I am not medically unfit for work, and I am not unemployed.

That is my context!